11.04.2010

Perspective

I just wrote a negative post. I mean NEGATIVE, but I erased it. The babies are going through a growth spurt and have become unpredictable all over again. They are waking up multiple times in the night and I feel like I've got 2 week old babies. It's hard. However, (and this is super cheesy) I'm so grateful for the online community of twin moms I've gotten to know. I read a post from one of them today and it put everything in perspective. There will actually be a day when they can feed themselves, put their binky back in on their own if it falls out, entertain each other, live without being bounced for hours on end, sleep more than 5 hours at a time, and not go through 20 diapers in a day. Sometimes it's hard for me to look ahead to those days to come. It's easy to get wrapped up in two screaming, poopy babies. It's easy to focus on the fact that I haven't slept for more that 5 hours since July (the last month of my pregnancy was awful and I hardly slept). It's easy to have pitty parties because I usually don't shower before Josh gets home from work and don't eat before noon.

However, I should be grateful for all of these things. I have two beautiful, healthy GROWING (seriously, I can't believe how big they're getting)
babies. There are people out there who would kill to be in my situation. They want the sleepless nights, the spit up hair, the poopy clothes, the bottle washing, the bouncing, they want it all. As hard as it is, I just have to look at these 4 beautiful eyes and know that it'll get better and it's all worth it.

Before you think I'm a rockstar mom or anything, know that I'm not. I've actually been compiling a post over the last few weeks over weaknesses and frustrations I've had. I don't know if I'll ever actually post it, but it's been good for me to get it out. I can't do it all and because of that, I've dropped the ball on a lot of things. I'm slowly learning to be ok with that though. Who cares if the laundry has sat in the dryer for days? Or that we're using paper plates because all of our dishes are dirty? I do feel guilty that I don't give each baby the attention that she deserves. I physically can't. If they aren't crying, they're in their bouncy seat or bumbo, just so my arms can catch a break. I hardly ever hold a happy baby. Lillian's fingernails desperately needed to be cut and I kept forgetting about it for... two weeks! One time, Sophie had a blow out (dang Huggies....) and I forgot to change her onesie for several hours. And remember when she pooed all over the wall and I left it there? Yeah, I'm far from an amazing mother, but I'm learning. And even though I feel like the babies and I are back at square one, I just have to remember that this too shall pass and look into these 4 little eyes and everything is perfect once again.

10 comments:

  1. I know! Okay, I only have one screaming baby. Big difference. But my sister-in-law just had a stillborn baby almost 2 months ago, and I know that she would give anything to hold a screaming baby. Of course, sometimes that just makes me feel guilty that I DON'T love every moment with my baby. But still. I know what you mean. Sometimes you just need perspective.

    p.s. I totally relate to feeling like you're dropping the ball on housework. I don't think my house will ever be truly clean again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post! Thanks for sharing. Your girls ARE beautiful and you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post Britt! It was inspiring, even though I have no kids...You are doing amazing! Love ya and your sweet, adorable girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I just read this..."I have no kids..." wow...I mean
    "I don't have any kids."

    ReplyDelete
  5. your babies are beautiful!! you ARE a rockstar mom. you have to be, i mean theyre almost 3 months and still alive and cute as ever right? :)
    i love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!!

    Sorry, you dont actually know me, but I found your blog from my friend Natalies. Anyways... Im a twin mom too and some how my boys miraculously made it to (almost) 2. There have been days in the past 2 years where I though "I really love my boys, but why couldnt they have come separately" and then I would feel extremely guilty! But when I see them hold hands, or give eachother hugs and kisses, or each grab one of my legs and literally tackle me with their hugs I am so thankful and I know why they came together. They belong together and I am extremely grateful that they will ALWAYS have the twin that everyone else only wishes for. It will get better, there will always be obstacles and someday you will be like me and competely missing the newborn stage. Life wont get any less hectic (at least by 2) but you will get more sleep! :) Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your girls are getting SO big. They're adorable! I love the last picture on this post - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally and completely know how you feel. I still have days where I feel sort of resentful that I'm hungry or dirty or tired and they keep demanding attention. Or the loooong nights that turn into days and into nights again and I didn't even realize it. It is HARD being a twin mom, especially a first time mom and a twin mom! Anyway I hope I didn't just make ya feel worse but know that its normal. I keep telling myself that where much is given, much is expected and we have been given much - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. found your blog thru mutual friends. i'm having twin girls in March and I LOOOOVE reading about all your thoughts/adventures etc. It's so comforting b/c I am SCARED (and excited!)!

    Andrea
    acp389atgmail

    ReplyDelete