11.15.2010

Tummy time Hell

Yes, you read that right. Tummy time at our house is utter Hell. It goes from this:

to this:

in less than 30 seconds.
Also, don't you love how the camera focused on the hairball in her hand? That's what happens when you have a mama that sheds like a dog.

Today was day 1 of physical therapy (or baby rehab) for the girls. We've got lots of stretches and exercises we need to do with them (in addition to LOTS of tummy time. She wants them doing it at least 10 times a day for at least 3 minutes. Although double or triple that would be better.) We've got 3 months to fix their heads and necks or they'll be sportin' baby helmets.

I must say that I really enjoyed going to the dr's office today. There were lots of kids with various disabilities and felt like I was back in my element. I really do like our new surrounding area, but not being around people with disabilities drives me batty. There was a set of identical down syndrome two year old girls there and I really wanted to steal them. Josh (and their mother) probably would have noticed, so I decided that was a bad idea. I'd be lying to say I wasn't tempted though! They were BEYOND adorable. They loved my babies and had to sit next to us and tickle their cheeks. Their mom was a little apprehensive about it because sometimes (k, all the time) people don't know how to react to people with disabilities. She was relieved to hear that I had lots of experience and was more than happy for her daughters to touch and hold my girls. It was the happiest time I've ever had waiting for any kind of appointment.

I can't wait to find out who we'll meet next week!



4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am so sorry! So much tummy time! And this is all because of how they were positioned in the womb for 9 months???

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually from being on their backs. Premature babies are at higher risk for torticollis and plagiocephaly (the tight muscles and flat head) because they're born with softer heads. A large percentage of babies have it to some degree though and numbers keep rising. Having a baby sleep on their back is a lot safer than other positions, but this is one disadvantage of it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me more! What are you doing with them for therapy? Matthew obviously premature and he started getting a flat head on one side so we've been getting him to sleep on the other side, or trying but the doctor said to or he might need a helmet. I don't want to have to do that. What can I do to help prevent that?! Love to know what you know! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son also had Plagio. and Tort.
    It's no fun, but if you keep up with the exercises that they showed you, it can heal pretty quickly. Hopefully they gave you those tube socks filled with rice, because I swear that was the biggest help during the whole process!

    ReplyDelete