6.01.2011

Another wordy post

This is not  a Wordless Wednesday. I need to vent. Here I go...

The past 7ish days have been hard. Very hard. We've taken 3 car rides after midnight (that are usually an hour each), spent hours rocking a very grumpy baby, spent hours trying to get her to nap, and hours trying to get her to eat. Lillian has turned into a monster and I have no idea why. Neither does the Doctor. She started protesting naps and got really overtired. I changed nothing in their schedule, she just decided that she didn't want to take her morning nap anymore. She also stopped eating in the morning. She'd take a bottle first thing, but only drink half of it and then want nothing else until 1 pm or so. By that time, she is WIRED and absolutely nothing will get her to sleep besides letting her wear herself out by screaming. She'll take a 30 minute nap or so and sometimes, if I'm lucky, she'll get another half hour-hour nap before her new bed time between 9 and 10. 

What the Hell? Sorry, but seriously, nothing has changed. She had an ear infection a little while ago and I was thinking that it came back. So, we took her to the doctor yesterday, but she checked out perfectly healthy. No infection, no inflamed throat, no stuffy nose, and no new teeth. Nothing is wrong with her. The doctor said when they reach major milestones it can make their brain extra active and throw off their sleeping. She thinks that's what it is because Lillian recently learned to stand and has even taken a few steps along furniture. Here's the thing though, Sophie learned those things too and is fine. 

I think one of the hardest things about twins is not comparing them. I've called the doctor several times over the past 9 months just because the girls are so different and I'm not sure what's normal. When they were newborns Sophie (at least I think it was Sophie) didn't poop for over a week! I called the doctor on that one because her sister was pooping regular and guess what?  Both girls were 'normal'. Apparently they're both 'normal' here too. Guess what though? I like Sophie's normal a lot more than Lillian's normal. Lillian's new normal is awful. 

Another issue we face is that we live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 babies. I've been asked dozens of times if the babies wake each other up when they cry and the answer is an absolute YES. It only takes Sophie 3-5 minutes until she's awake and screaming with her sister. The first thing we're doing when we move into our house is splitting up the girls.

It wouldn't be so bad if she was happy during the day. I mean, I can handle getting up with her and not sleeping well. I've been not sleeping well for most of the past year and I'm pretty used to it. My body has adapted. The thing it's not used to is a cranky, winy, overly sensitive baby. If something doesn't go her way, she throws tantrums. Yes, full out tantrums. She arches her back, throws herself to the ground and starts kicking. Sounds like a 2 year old who needs time out, right? Well, she's our 9 month old baby that you can't  discipline. The only thing you can do is make sure she's not by anything hard so when she falls, she doesn't get hurt. 

I've tried everything. Limiting noises and activities in the evening, warm baths (that always backfires), swaddling her from the waist down, feeding her more (she usually doesn't take it), feeding her less, rocking, binkie, bottle in the bed, bottle with diluted cherry juice (natural melatonin) and chamomile, music in their room, letting her sleep in our bed, having Josh put her to bed, giving her pain medicine just in case, strapping her to her bouncy seat in the living room and turning on a movie, letting her scream it out, etc, etc.

I guess I should be grateful that they're both not acting like this. It would be much harder if they were both wigged out all the time. This morning Lillian woke up a little after 4 and she finally just passed out on the living room floor. I'm terrified to move her, so when Sophie wakes up (in about an hour or so I'm guessing) we'll be hanging out in my room. I guess another thing I should be grateful for is that it allows me to spend one on one time with each baby. So please send good thoughts, vibes and prayers our way. Hopefully this really is just a phase and her brain will calm down. That sounds so stupid...her brain will calm down?

Let's hope that we start seeing less of this
IMG_0874
and this
IMG_0781
and more of this
IMG_0217edit

I miss my sweet, passive, adorable little baby.

9 comments:

  1. I sent you an email on facebook!! :) Love ya!! I hope things get better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( This makes me sad. I hope Lillian calms down again and that the few hours of sleep you get are super beneficial. She really is a beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Brittany. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. Life without sleep is hard, hard for the parents and hard for the baby because obviously they aren't very happy about it either (shown by the attitude they get when they don't get there sleep). I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. I've been struggling so much with no sleep and it is so refreshing to hear someone else who is going through the same thing (however your situation does sound worse considering she won't eat either and you have two) instead of hearing people say "is she sleeping through the night yet?" "my baby slept through the night from the beginning!" UGH...Hope things get better for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls went through something similar. It just takes time... Sounds like you are doing a great job - being their Mama! Hang in there... it will get better!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could something be in the water? I mean my baby is only one month old and so I don't think he really has a "normal" yet. but I don't think crying for three hours straight is normal for any baby. She is so cute in that picture with the cheerio, even though she is crying.

    Thanks for your comment back on my blog! I'm glad to hear you still use the sunbabies. Maybe I'll start picking up different diapers every now and then... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there. you're such a knowledgable mom, I forget you've never done this before! You're a rockstar! AFter this, every singleton will seem CAKE. Believe me. I think the one thing I've learned is that EVERYTHING is a phase. It might seem unbearable for awhile, but soon it will transform to a new "obstacle" Just keep on trucking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry you are having such a rough time with that little cutie pie. You know, someone with multiples told me, the ONLY thing you should think about every day is the fact that tomorrow will more than likely be completely different. I think what she meant was most everything (if its not an illness,ect) will change and is a phase. All you can do is hang in there. It will get better.
    By the way, I TOTALLY envy you getting your OWN house.... so jealous. And even more so that you wont need a 5-6 bedroom house to be able to separate your girls...
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh mama I'm facing the same thing. Of course he's only 7 weeks but he did have a good schedule of naps and sleeping most of the night, however this past week he has refused naps as well and gets sooo tired and fussing it out doesn't help.

    Just remember to breathe and remember that this too shall pass!

    mamanemery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yuck. The twins went thorugh this. As soon as my daughter snapped out of it they traded places......now she's an angel and he's.just.not. Sending good thoughts your way to stay sane.

    ReplyDelete