The girls are fraternal. Well, actually there's a 30% change they're identical, but they were in separate sacs and each had a placenta (that's one of the grossest words in the English language. I'm sorry it just appeared on my blog) so odds say they're fraternal. Plus, the majority of people we come in contact with can tell them apart. Even when they were newborns, we could tell the apart most of the time. There were a few moments of mix ups, but we just had to take a step back, look at them again and we figured it out. There are some pretty obvious differences between them and once you know them, it's easy to know who is who.
Sophie has a heart shaped head. Her cheeks and chin are narrow and her eyes are deeper. Her head is longer than Lillian's, her forehead is smaller and she has less hair. If none of that works, just take a look at her left ear.
It doesn't stick out as much as her right ear does. I'm not sure if this has more to do with genetics, or the fact that for most of the pregnancy, that ear was at the very bottom of the totem pole, so it got squished more. I think it's adorable, but Josh has voiced some concerns that she might not like her uneven ears when she gets older, but I really hope that isn't an issue. I guess we'll see when the time comes.
Lillian's face is much more round. Her eyes are more like mine (although they both have my eyes, but Lillian's stick out like mine do), he face is wider, she has a significant greater amount of hair, and both of her ears poke out.
It's funny because some people that meet them for the first time, automatically realize they're fraternal, while others automatically think they're identical. Sometimes I correct people, but if I'm in a I-don't-want-to-talk-to-strangers-about-my-children mood (which I'm in probably 50% of the time) I don't argue and agree with whatever they're telling me.
Do you see the differences?
Even in the hospital, Lillian's cheeks were chubbier.
And yes, most of these pictures are old. I quickly realized I don't have many recent pictures with both girls in them looking at the camera. Crawling will do that to ya.








That's funny, I really don't see the differences as much. But I know as a mother you analyze every tiny feature and can tell exactly eye shapes and forehead shapes and angles and all of it. My girls are totally identical and even though they look completely different to me, I have a hard time pointing to any distinct feature for other people. I like the ear sticking out :) Wish we had that!
ReplyDeleteYe I can totally tell. I get this all the time. Some tell me y girls look totally different, while others say "oh theyre identical!!!" Ugh, we dont know what our girls are (we had two sacks and either a fused P word or just one) i hate that word too. so were not sure, so whatever anyone says i just agree haha!! Either way theyre adorable!!
ReplyDeleteLOL... I have a set of identicals in my triplets & people are always trying to figure out which two they are. We really don't want to tell because we don't want the fraternal to feel "different" but when we brought them home from the hospital I had to paint one of thems toenail so we didn't mix them up. they are only 6 weeks old, I can tell them all apart when they are together, but one at a time is difficult
ReplyDeleteAhhh that makes it easier. I totally see the difference. Thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteI am always shocked when people ask me if my boys are identical. I think they look totally different. Good heavens there eyes are even different colors. I can see the differences in your girls but I'm still not sure I can tell them apart very well. They are both gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteJust to write it in stone, no one had weirder ears than me... she's safe.
ReplyDelete