4.02.2009

Post Secret

Talk about amazing! Frank Warren came and spoke at USU yesterday and I loved every minute of it. For those of you who don't know, Post Secret started out 4 years ago as a social experiment where Frank handed out postcards and had people mail him their secrets anonymously. The project grew rapidly and now Frank has received millions of secrets from all over the world. There's a website, blog, and several book filled with people's secrets. Frank donates most of the proceeds to the suicide prevention hotline, and has received countless stories about how Post Secret has stopped people from taking their own lives because it gives them a hope that they aren't the only ones out there with burdens. Anyways, that's a quick rundown. So yesterday he read some of his favorite secrets. Some were hilarious, and others almost made me cry. After his 45 minute speech, he had two mics set up and people could come up and share their secrets. The emotion and rawness that was in that room was incredible. A few of them were funny, but most were stories of hurt, sorrow, and forgiveness. The room was silent as a few dozen people shared things that they've never told a soul. It was amazing. There was a familar face in the crowd form high school. She was the second one to tell her secret, and I can't imagine the courage it took for her (or any of them) to stand up. One man said that if it weren't for Post Secret, he would have been long gone, but because of the support system he found within the community, his neice had an uncle. Apparently he met his significant other through Post Secret, and she was with there with him. I don't think Josh liked it as much as I did, but he was still slightly entertained. I however, wished it could have lasted all night. Oh it was great. I think any time humans connect with other humans great things comes as a result. Post Secret was right up that alley for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment