I did it. I threw out {almost} all of my microfiber inserts for the cloth diapers. I say almost because I kept a couple that I found in the back of the closet that haven't been used since we moved into our house. I'm thinking they've still got another 6 months of good use in them. The other inserts (Flips and BumGenius) have lived a good life. They're to the point where all they do is leak, stink and give my girls rashes. I've stripped them with dawn, used tea tree oil, and bleach, but every third time or so that they're used, I run into problems again. Prefolds are great because they're made from cotton, a natural fabric and don't hold in odors like synthetic fabrics (like microfiber) do. I think they lived a good life though. Considering that we started using them when the girls were 3 months old and they're now almost 19 months, we got good use out of them. And it's not like I threw away the whole diapers. Just the inserts that were worth about $30, so I don't feel bad about throwing them out. We got 16 months with two kids with them. Anyway, I'm going to stuff our pocket diapers with these infant prefolds that I've been stuffing in my Sunbaby diapers. It's perfect timing too, because our Sunbabies are too small for the girls. Josh reminds me of this every time I put them in one. It makes me sad that they've grown out of them because they're the first diapers we started out with. Here's Lillian sleeping in one on her blessing day..
and here's one of my favorite pictures of the girls of all time in their Sunbabies
Isn't it crazy that they were wearing these diapers when they were 8 lbs and they were still wearing them as of yesterday? Crazy. I'm excited to get rid of them though. I don't think I'll be rinsing the prefolds after each use like I was with the microfiber. I've never had the ammonia burn/stink with prefolds and it's VERY rare that I get leaks. In fact, we went to visit a friend a couple of weeks ago and we ran into some microfiber issues with Sophie. We got stuck in traffic and our "quick trip" to get some cotton candy sugar turned out to be almost an hour and a half. Well, being the idiot that I am, I didn't bring my diaper bag. The girls were in the same BumGenius diapers, expect Lillian's had prefold and Sophie's had a microfiber insert. Sophie leaked and leaked and leaked, while Lillian only had a slight leak after the long car ride and an hour or so visit with our friends. So yeah...prefolds hold a lot more.
Anyway, this was just supposed to be a quick mention that I got rid of the inserts, but it's turned into quite the novel. I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I feel liked I've shared everything about this cloth diaper experience with you guys, so I always feel the need to update when something changes.
So that's that. The microfiber is basically no more.
We're doing BumGebius 4.0's with prefolds, Flips covers with prefolds (with the exception of a few stay dry and organic inserts) and Thirsties Duo Wraps with prefolds. No more BumGenius inserts and no more Sunbabies. The thought of that scares me a little because that's 10 diapers that I've been using daily that no longer work. That means I might have to stay on top of laundry better or...buy more diapers. ;)
... or just buy new inserts. Silly girl!
ReplyDeleteI thought about that, but seeing as I already have the prefolds, I decided to just use those. Plus, I do like that they're a natural fiber and that they hold more. They're a tad more bulky though, which is a downside, but if you can get past that, I think they're the better option for us. :)
ReplyDeleteSmart thinking. I'm guessing since they were CD'ed, your girls will potty train soon! You might only have a few months left in diapers, anyway!
ReplyDeleteGosh i am SO intimidated to start cloth diapering!!! every time i go to make a purchase (i have a big gift card i need to use) I get to nervous i'm going to order something that will be a waste of money... i love keeping up on all your posts!! helps me out alot!
ReplyDeleteWhat inserts do you use (I am a friend of Cecilia's and a fellow Babycenter Utah Valley Mom)? I just started cloth diapering and I already despise micrfiber.
ReplyDeleteOk so I give you endless kudos. Cloth diapers I don't think I could ever do! But I am amazed you did twins :) Anyway I was blog hopping and found yours but just was so amazing that you had twins and better yet you cloth diapered them. Anyway just wanted to give you kudos :)
ReplyDeleteHm, I have only used microfiber inserts for a little while (got them shortly before my 3 year old potty trained) but was planning to get quite a bunch to use in the Bumkins stuff it diapers. I didn't know they'd get all stinky and gross. I am expecting twins in September...I wonder if it is worth it to get more just knowing that they will get too gross to use at some point?
ReplyDelete