4.17.2011

35 weeks and 6 days

That is how old the babies are today (Sunday). That is how long I carried them. They've officially been out, just as long as they were in. I know that most people don't think this is a big deal, but for me, it really, really is. It's only a little bit less cool than their actual birthday. You see, when you're pregnant with twins, numbers become your new best friend. Number of babies, placentas, sacks, fluid levels, heartbeats, blood pressure, weeks gestation, babies weight, length, head circumference, weeks gestation, blood pressure, fluid levels, placentas (yes, that can change over the course of a twin pregnancy. 2 can fuse together and make 1), weeks gestation, weeks gestation, some more blood pressure, weeks gestation, fluid levels and some more weeks gestation. Do you get the idea that weeks gestation is very important and stressed at every appointment? {Which, by the way, you have a bajillion of during a twin pregnancy. I think I had 15 and at least 13 ultrasounds appointments in my shortened pregnancy.}

It's a big deal. I've personally known people that have carried twins to 28 weeks and people who have carried them until 38 weeks. The number you hit almost becomes your bragging right. People are either amazed that you delivered early, conquered the NICU and have healthy babies, or they think you're super woman for carrying 15 lbs of baby in you and surpassing the NICU. My number was 35 weeks and 6 days. When people ask how far along they were at birth, I always round up to 36 weeks. Nobody cares that they were just one day shy of the magic '36' and it's easier that way. I usually get responses of "Oh! That's great for twins!" or "That's the perfect time to deliver, right?" Why yes, it really was perfect. 

Personally, I'm not sure I could have asked for a better birth experience. Well, I lied. In a perfect world, they wouldn't have been rushed to the NICU and I would have been able to hold Lillian right away. In a perfect world, they would have been able to be in my room with me and I wouldn't have had to waddle down to see them. Besides that though, it was perfect. Out of all the realistic disasters that could have come up, nothing bad happened. It was perfect. 35 weeks and 6 days was perfect. 

These past 35 weeks and 6 days have been crazy. They've gone from being under 5 lbs to almost 20. They are on the verge of crawling, have 3 teeth between the two of them, and are completely in love with each other. The girls have officially been out as long as they were in and I for one can say that I'll forever be grateful that my number was only 35 weeks and 6 days.
Like I said, it was perfect. 

IMG_8576 (2)
The babies sitting on me a couple mornings ago. And yes, I did you all a favor by cropping myself out. Trust me, morning Brittany is a sight to see!

3 comments:

  1. They are so adorable! They look like perfect little baby dolls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE you and your whole family!!! You, Josh, and the girls really are truly perfect!!!! Ahhhh, kiss those babies for me! Kisses and hugs to you, too!!!! Muuuwwwaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree with you more about the numbers (I'm 34w 4d today and counting...) I feel like they're constantly running through my head and have never been more cognizant of the calendar. Congrats on the girls' "pre-birthday!"

    ReplyDelete