9.29.2010

Vaccines times two???

I've debated the whole vaccine issue for a while now. Every bit of info I find seems to contradict another bit of info I find and it only makes me more confused. I never really considered not vaccinating altogether, but thought of maybe doing the delayed schedule. I've ultimately made the decision to trust my doctor and trust modern medicine. However, one thing that still makes me want to skip their next appointment is the fact that they'll get shots. They had their follow up bilirubin test a few days after they came home from the hospital and slept through the poke. I'm 100% positive they wont this time around and I don't think I'll handle it well. I've heard lots of moms cry when their babies get shots and I'm predicting that I'll loose it. I mean, that's a total of what, 8 shots? Plus two hurt, grumpy babies for a few days.
Tips on how to make it less of an awful experience?

And just because I don't want a picture-less post, here's one of the little ladies. Not a good one or of anything of much entertainment, but a picture nonetheless.

Don't the insides of their mouths look hilarious when the suck? They look like little fish.

7 comments:

  1. Here's a tip for shots...Give them infants' tylenol (or whichever pain reliever your doctor recommends) BEFORE they go to the appointment. That way, when they start to get achy from the shots, they'll be covered already. It's a sad thing, they do get over it very quickly, especially when they're this little. Kindergarten shots are much worse, and 6th grade ones are even worse than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a believer in vaccinations, but that doesn't make the first time any easier. I cried. Sadie screamed. It was traumatic. I agree with giving them Tylenol before you go (you can call your ped office and they'll tell you the dosage). Sadie didn't really have lasting effects, though. I think it's different for every kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TYLENOL is a must, and don't try do to anything but give them love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel stupid if you do cry..I cried and felt like an idiot! Sage has her 4 month shots on Monday and I'm not looking forward to it! I didn't do anything for Sage before or after her shots and she had no side effects..I guess it's just all up to you! GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's never fun but it is better when they're little. They don't know what's coming. The older they get it's worse. Lol... They can give them children's tylenol at the doc's visit before the shots if you ask. Ahhhh, sweet little girls!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and massaging the vaccination spot, where they were poked, a few times througout the day helps. They squirm around and just do it softly but it's better so it doesn't get really hard in the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids really liked warm baths to soak their aches after shots. Tylenol is good too - just keep them on it solid for a day or two. Don't let the time get away from you. They'll do great and so will you. They will cry - hard - but not for long. And they won't hold it against you. They'll still love you. Also, let them nurse alot. It helps.

    ReplyDelete