9.17.2010

Sweet sixteen

First off, it FREAKS me out to be writing this post. Tomorrow is my little sister's 16 birthday. I distinctly remember life before she came around and distinctly remember the morning she was born.

I woke up Sunday September 18th, 1994 with one thing in mind; the primary program at church. I had a speaking part and was super excited about it. When I walked out of my bedroom, I found the phone off the hook and some sewing patterns scattered on the floor. My parent were gone and my oldest brother, Craig, explained that they ran to the hospital because mom was having the baby. I was NOT happy. I already hated this kid for stealing my 'baby of the family' status and she decides to come on the most important Sunday of the year?! Not cool, baby. It took a few years for me to like my little sister (I was a rather angry child...), but I'm happy to say now I love her.

She's probably in my top 5 favorite people ever. She's the most caring, self sacrificing person I think I know and she's beyond hysterical. She's super smart (multiple AP classes as a Sophomore), plays the viola and can tell you just about anything relating to Harry Potter (plus she looks a little like Luna Lovegood!) She sometimes snorts when she laughs and there have been countless times where she's 'excused' herself from the dinner table because she's laughing so hard that she can't breathe. She has such a big heart and wants to change the world by doing humanitarian work in Peru (she even wanted a passport for her birthday. Who wishes for that at 16?). She always puts others before herself and is definitely the 'got-to-girl' in the Herdman household. I feel bad that I haven't always liked her and feel bad that Fro and I used to throw stuffed animals at her face when my mom would force us to let her join in at our sleepovers. She is an example of the kind of person I hope to be someday and I can't imagine our family without her.










(See, she's got even got Luna on her shirt!)

(this picture still makes me laugh almost uncontrollably)

Love you Kels and happy birthday!
Can't wait to spend the day with you!

4 comments:

  1. Wow...I can't believe she's 16 either! Tell her happy birthday from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel your pain, Allie just turned 12 and i'm freaking out about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a big deal, I am sorry I think I yelled at her. In other news I would like to take you up on your offer, and wished I would have seen the offer before I saw you last night. I should have talked to you more and didn't. This is a sorry post for such a happy occasion. Oh my word, are you scared she can date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany! Thank you so much for your birthday wishes! Words cannot describe how much I love you. I'm grateful to be related to you as a sister. :)
    It's alright about the stuffed animals at my face... it happens.
    Love you!
    Also, thank you so much for everything.

    ReplyDelete