8.28.2010

Clean Clothes part 2

Remember when Josh and I didn't have a washer and dryer, but we didn't really mind because we went to the COOLEST laundromat ever? Well, lately I've realized how crappy it would be if we still had to go there. I do laundry about every other day and we haven't even pulled out the cloth diapers yet... (although I'm totally stoked for when we can. We just have to wait until the wee ones get to be 6lbs and then we'll be total hippies)

Also, I've noticed something about going out in public with twins. EVERYBODY (well, pretty much) has something to say about them and EVERYBODY wants a peek. We usually put the girls in their stroller and have their car seats covered when we go out. I've decided though to keep it uncovered and just let people stare because it's a lot less awkward that way. Today for example, we were at Sam's club when we ran into one of our old neighbors. Now, we didn't really know this girl (or her husband) when we lived across the parking lot from them and it took a few seconds for me to realize who it was. I was on the phone with my mom so I couldn't stop and chat or anything. The awkward part happened when she tried her hardest to get a glance at the girls and we walked by. I sorta felt like a jerk as we passed her, but it was one of those things where the entire scenario happened in 1.5 seconds and like I said, I didn't recognize her in time. Anyways after that, I decided to 'unveil' the babies and just let people stare. That way, people don't have to be painfully awkward when trying to look at them. They're able to look, gasp, say the first 'twin' comment they can think of, and then go along their merry way. It's quite a nice system.

The most awkward thing though is when people talk about us, but not to us. Example: We were at Smith's yesterday (I think it was yesterday...maybe the day before) and a lady says, "Ooooohhhh look! TWO babies!" I never know whether I should just smile, respond, or continue what I'm doing when I overhear these things, because I know they're not talking to me. This time, I decided to turn around and I noticed that the lady was talking to.....her baby. Yep. She was having a conversation with her infant about mine. It was hilarious. I'm pretty sure I just stared at her as she told her baby how cute they were and how much work they must be. She was standing 4 feet away from me, but chose to talk to her baby instead of me. I thought it was weird. So I just smiled and walked away. Am I a jerk? I really don't know how to respond to people. I'm fine with people coming up to me and asking questions or just wanting to look at them, but it's when people try to be 'sneaky' about it that makes me feel weird. I have twins. I'm not deaf or blind. I can hear your comments and can see you abruptly changing your pathway so it will cross mine so you can get a glimpse as to what's in the two car seats.

Don't think I'm annoyed or bitter, because I'm not. It's just hilariously awkward. I don't know if people want me to respond or not. So like I said, I just usually stare and smile. Sometimes I'll just say, "yep" and walk away. Again, I'm more than happy to talk to people, but when you choose to talk to your 3 month old over me, I'm not going to pursue much of a conversation with you.

And I'll leave you with a picture by the marvelous Amanda McKie...


5 comments:

  1. i've had this happen to me before too...awkward! you are totally not a jerk, i handled the situation the same way.

    but on the flip side. i haaave caught myself telling henry that a baby is cute in target a couple times (and in a ridiculous baby talk voice too! gahhhh!)

    i love this picture and also the sleepy twins banner photo. how are you sleeping these days? hopefully they are letting their mama get SOME rest!!

    love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is so ridiculously adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. obsessed with your baby girls. dar.ling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am loving your blog. you articulate well what i've felt a lot. i too feel like a jerk in those awkward situations where i just don't know how to respond. i don't know why it happens so much that people talk right next to you so that you can hear that they are talking about your twins, but they aren't talking to you. it was really hard to get out and get stuff done in the limited time that i had during the first couple of months. people would stop us and want to talk a lot. we got used to hearing the same questions over and over. at one point, i was ready to print off a card with the answers to all the questions, so that we could keep moving. :) i love that everyone thinks they're being witty when they say "double trouble!"

    hopefully you can just have fun and not be offended with all the awkward stranger interactions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha... welcome to it. What is it that makes people especially fascinated with twins? I really wasn't one that wanted all the extra attention that comes and it's been a learning curve for me to handle it everywhere all the time. It's funny, huh? All the same questions, all the awkward "how polite do i need to be before i can just get on my way and keep shopping cause these cute babies will be hungry again before you know it and I am rarely getting out" -ness. It's nice to know I'm not alone :) I think you're handling it marvelously!

    ReplyDelete