12.08.2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I've had something on my mind the last few weeks: respect. I'm far from a scholar on this topic, but in observing others around me, I'm often shocked at the lack of respect that we, as a society, have for each other. There's a lot of good in humanity, but there's also so much selfishness and judgment. I had a conversation with someone last night and I really realized that it's the lack of respect for one another that causes the majority of problems in our homes, schools, churches, places of work etc. It broke my heart to hear her talk about her situation and how she felt belittled and worthless. Before this, we had a pretty superficial relationship, but in asking one simple question, our shells were cracked and I learned so much.

So, this is my simple message. Don't look for the bad in others. Consider people's feelings and motives behind their actions and way of life. Everyone is constantly carrying around a deeper story with them. Respect that. Don't make assumptions and don't be a so quick to judge.

And that's my soapbox for the day.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful thought, I agree :) And WOW - LOVE that picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you. i love your blog.

    and i love the site you got this picture from. fantastic.

    ReplyDelete