1.22.2009
Do you ever wonder...
Do you ever wonder what happens to those people that you meet for just a moment or two? The people that you get a glimpse of their life, but never get to see their problems resolved? I'm not sure why, but the past few days I keep thinking about this woman who a met just a few days before our wedding. I drove back up to Logan to pick up my dress and to go to work the Monday before we got married. I stopped off in Brigham at the Flying J, when this woman, who was probably in her 40's, came and asked me for money. She didn't seem super crazy, and I listened to her as she told her story of how her husband had left her there and how she was trying to get to Dallas. I was slightly shocked by this because it wasn't a typical, "I'm homeless and need some cash" story. Here it was a few days before Christmas and apparently this woman was abandoned hundreds of miles away from her home. I asked if she needed to use my phone to call anyone, and she replied saying that she didn't have any other family. I gave her a 5 dollar bill and suggested that she call the police. She didn't seem to think that was a good idea, and thanked me for the money and went on her way. It was so strange. I'm not sure why she didn't want the police called. Was she on the run? I'm guessing her husband was, but why? I not knowing what to do and being slightly freaked out, filled up my tank and headed back to Logan. Was this the right thing to do? Should I have called the cops? Was this woman just putting on an act or did she really need to get to Dallas. I'll never know. I'll never know if I did the right thing. I'm not sure why I've been thinking about it lately. Maybe that couple are murderers and now their latest victims are haunting me. I hope not. I hope it was just a nice lady with a jerky husband who eventually made it back to Dallas, and I hope my 5 dollars bought her a subway sandwich.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've wondered that before too! There are so many people in this world.. and everyone has problems and unique experiences and a story to tell.. So interesting to think about. I think you did the right thing! Selflessly giving money is a kind act. What they use it for is a different story. But that was nice of you :) Hope she got help.
ReplyDeleteIf you done it unto the least of these you have done it unto me. Being kind is always the right thing to do. It sounds like you were an angel. That is what I love about you.
ReplyDeleteThat's a sad story. How sad. I hope that lady is alright! I met an interesting lady that I gave a ride to the Salt Lake bus awhile ago. She said that her boyfriend left her at the bus stop & they didn't do routes in Tooele on Sundays. I gave her a ride to SLC. It was really sad. I had a chance to bear my testimony to her and tell her Heavenly Father loves her. It was a cool experience now I think about it. This story made me think of her again. We never know what happens but everyone can have a positive impact on someone! I believe we're here to help each other out. :) That was sweet of you to help!!! Love you! Jenny
ReplyDelete