11.18.2011

Fact: It's Friday

Do I need an intro to what these posts are about? Check out my fellow twin mom and friend Becky's Friday posts. She's the brains behind them. :)

Brittany Fact #3: I like music. A whoooole lot.

I'm not really sure how to expand on this fact. I simply love music. I'm constantly singing. Constantly. If you haven't heard me sing in a casual, every day conversation then you must not be around me much, because I'm always singing. I sing to my girls, I sing in the shower, I sing when I'm in the garage and my neighbors overhear, I sing to the radio (i.e. pandora) I sing about the food I'm cooking, the diaper I'm changing, the shampoo I'm squeezing into my hand, the light that I'm stopped at... you get the picture. You'd think that since I'm singing all the time, I'd be good at it. Well, I'm an OK singer, but I'm definitely not fantastic.

My mom sings for in a community choir for a few decades. She's got a rockin' alto voice, so growing up at church and things like that, that's what I heard...the alto line of music. Most of the time, I have a hard time hearing the melody because the alto notes scream out at me. I can't read music, so I can't tell what the highest note I can hit is, but I can tell you that it's not very high. I'm pretty sure there are only a few hymns at church that I can sing the melody the entire time. It just doesn't happen.

Besides singing, I love listening to music. And I love a little of everything. I'm content with Bon Iver, Celine Dion, Joshua JamesSimon and GarfunkelBrad Paisley,  Regina Spektor, Kimya Dawson, Nickel Creek, Angus and Julia Stone, and even a little Super Bass and the list could go on...and on...and on... My stuffed full 30 GB iPod can testify to that. I've seen 5 of the mentioned artists in concert (one of them {r.Spek} more than once) and listen to them and their musical peers on a daily basis.

I'm obsessed. I've always got a song running through my head and a lot of the time, I'm choreographing dances to the music I'm listening to (insert super dorky dance has-been here).

Music brings in the spirit of the Holidays, it gives us peace, it gives us perspective, it can make us want to dance, it can lighten the mood, it can give us the motivation to move past something, and it can simply be beautiful. Really beautiful.

So yeah, I really like music. And although right now, my Pandora to a Christmas station Ella Fitzgerald style, I really do love music. From basic guitar strumming or ivory tickling, to twangy country, to stuff like She & Him and Regina Spektor (what do you call their kind of music anyway?) to even a little Missy Elliot if I'm feeling particularly feisty. I think this world would be a sad, sad place if it weren't for music. I love it sooo much.

And in case you didn't click on the billion hyper links, here's a gem my little sister shared with me a few weeks back.



And just so you know, my girls love music just as much as I do. Their latest favorite is this one.

I cannot watch this without laughing. Her tucked in chin and sporatic arms are hilarious. I do a pretty fantastic impression of her, by the way.
Just sayin'.

And holy smokes. This blog has been pretty babyless lately. That's because it's been a while since I've taken any pictures. So... I should get on that....

3 comments:

  1. You have fine taste in music! You're just missing a little ingrid michaelson and Joshua radin :) And that first video reminded me of this video my little sis shared with me - I can't stop watching it ha

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNE9bUa2D0c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh trust me... I consider Joshua Radin the other Joshua in my life. ;) I can't believe I didn't include him! And I'm quite an Ingrid fan too. Not sure why I didn't include anything by her either. Or by She & Him or by Kate Nash or by... yeah, I could go on forever. :)

    And I'm not sure you'll even see this reply...

    Blogging is weird. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do your girls listen to Crazy Frog? My friend's daughter (16 mo) loves it. She dances to it.

    ReplyDelete