10.05.2011

Just a little tip for everyone...

*I still can't get my old template back (I broke it this morning. Some of you may or may not have seen that post). Apparently you can't get stretch minima (I think that's what it was called...) anymore? That's a bummer. I'm sure I'll be playing around with my blog some more for a while, but for now, this will have to do. 

Here's the tip of the day. If you get pulled over by the police for going 47 in a 35, make sure both you and your baby are crying because your probability of getting off the hook increases. How do I know this? 
It just happened. Lillian's at it again. I tried consoling her for about 40 minutes before I decided to put her in the car. I had planned on driving until she stopped crying, but we only made it about 10 minutes away before we were both in tears. Not too long after that, the blaring lights of a police car started flashing. 

Great. Remember how the cops have already come to my house once this week?

The guy got out of his car, and I had lost it. Like lost it. Oprah calls it the "ugly cry". Lillian was past the ugly cry stage and was onto the "I'm screaming so hard that my eyeballs will probably pop out of my face any second" cry. The cop immediately noted how emotional we both were and asked if everything was alright. I said that everything was except that my daughter wouldn't sleep and that I was tired and stressed. I also threw in that I was sorry for speeding because I knew that that was the reason he pulled me over. He noticed both car seats and asked if I had another child. When I said that I have twins, he let out an audible gasp of what seemed like despair. He asked where the other baby was and I responded that she was at home. He responded with,

"Alone?"

I wanted to say, "No, you idiot. You think I'd leave my 13 month old alone at home? My husband is there who is also sleeping because he works crappy (although, in my super cool other world I like to pretend I live in sometimes, I wouldn't have said crappy. The word I would have used rhymes with kitty...) hours and it sucks. One of my girls refused to sleep and I wasn't about to wake up the sleeping twin just so she could join us on this lovely car ride."

Instead I said, "Nope. Her dad's there." 

He asked if there was anything he could do and let me know that he wouldn't be needing my license or anything. He offered to follow me home (that sound creepy typing it out, but it really wasn't creepy in the moment) and wished me luck. 

Thankfully, Lillian fell fast asleep a few minutes later and I was able to get her up to her bed with little issue. Really though, these night terrors are the worst. Luckily, I only have one kid with them (so far) and hopefully it truly is just a phase. I miss my sweet chinchillian.
IMG_5101b&w

Yes, that's one of the many nicknames we have for her. Embarrassing, right?
And we've got many more where that came from. :)

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I just thought of something...Have her ears checked. My kids never tugged on their ears when they had ear infections. They just wouldn't sleep. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're certain it's a night terror, I know you aren't supposed to wake them up. They are still asleep but having a really bad nightmare and the act like they are awake. They are super weird to witness, but our daughter has done a couple when she is sick and not sleeping well. If you just let her work it out, she will learn to settle down and go back to sleep on her own. I hate hearing that you out late at night with a crying baby!!! That isn't safe! And it only fixes the situation temporarily. But I agree, maybe get her ears checked too. You never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe its not night terrors then because she's definitely awake. I don't know what it is, but food, milk medicine and cuddling/rocking won't fix it.

    I'm not sure what it is, she just won't sleep. Maybe I'll call the doctor to see if it is an ear infection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read this three times because it's so great. (not great that lillian was crying, or that you got pulled over. just to clarify)

    i also have a secret other world i pretend to live in. i think in that live we party together. just saying.

    i'm sorry you've had two cop interactions this week. hopefully if there's a third it's them busting up the wild house party you're sure to have.

    i just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor girl. And poor mama. But I'm glad you got away from the ticket. That has never ever ever happened to me...crying or not! Lucky you!

    Ps...there is still stretch minima! You have to revert to the old templates. I can help you if you want. Email me: marieburr@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hhhmmmm just a thought but it still could be a night terror. Kate had them around her age. Yes you are not supposed to wake them up but its tricky because their eyes are open and they can even talk to you. But they really aren't having a nightmare like the name implies, they are simply stuck between REM sleep and the other one whatever its called. Research is finding that they may happen when the child isn't awake enough to "use the restroom". When kate would get them at like 1 and 1/2 most of the time and still today if we can get her to potty she wakes up fully and goes right back to bed. Just a thought but maybe hearing the tub water running or sticking her hand under warm water might help... good luck, you are really an amazing mother brit! You are such a blessing to those two beautiful girls =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm signed in under my husband apparently, but this is Chrissy
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto to the night terrors. My boys had them at that age, too, and YES they do look like they're awake. Their eyes are open, and they have a panicked sounding cry.

    Night terrors (at least in my experience) are very sudden. A sudden, loud scream followed by cries that sound just hysterical. Not moans that eventually turn into crying.

    If that's what's happening, just go in, make sure she isn't going to hurt herself by thrashing around, and leave her be. Don't even talk to her, unless she actually wakes up.

    If you watch and listen closely, you might be able to tell when she goes from a night terror to being actually awake. (If she wakes up. She might just cry for several minutes, and then all of a sudden be done.) My boys' cries sounded different - it was subtle, but after listening to them cry over and over night after night, I could tell when it changed. Then, I could talk to them and soothe them. A lot of times, too, after crying that hard, they needed to burp.

    Good luck. I know how hard it is. All four of my boys have had night terrors at some point. It really stinks. And, hopefully you can get some good sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I am a new follower of yours. I have been reading your blog for a long, long time now, but just finally got a blog for myself. Your girls are absolutely adorable! Reading your blog has made me want to cloth diaper my next child. I would have not had a clue about any of it if it wasn't for all your blog posts about it so thank you! Also, I just got my first speeding ticket a couple of months ago, but my daughter decided to wave and be friendly with the cop. Maybe if she was crying her eyes out I would have gotten out of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom got pulled over with 5 kids in the car which and my brother, the youngest at the time bawling histarically. she got off too!

    Your girls look so much older all of a sudden!

    ReplyDelete