This post is long, wordy and probably not very interesting.
You have been warned.
1. Sophie is capable of calling 911. I'm still not sure how she did it, but I got a voicemail saying, "This is the 911 operator. We just got a call from this number, but it sounded like a child playing with the phone. If this is an emergency, please give us a call back." I didn't call back because we weren't having an emergency and you always hear how you're not supposed to call 911 unless it is an emergency because it clogs the system and people who really need the police can't get through. So, I laughed a little bit, but didn't think much of it. Well, a half hour later, we got a knock at the door. It was a cop. Apparently, the have to follow up on every call they get, so he came over to make sure everything was OK. I was pretty embarrassed and explained that it was my 13 month old (although in a few days, they'll be 14 months! Crazy!) daughter and that everything was fine. I'm not quite sure he believed me because he asked me two more times if everything was OK and then scanned what he could see from my front door. My neighbor watched the whole thing from her window and made sure to come over and give me a hard time about it. :) I guess its good to know that if there was an emergency, 911 actually works. I was thinking about it though and say there's a murderer in my house and I'm able to dial 911, but for one reason or another we get disconnected. Sure they'll come, but not for several minutes. Do you know how many times a person could get murdered in a half hour? That's not so reassuring...
2. We went to Best Buy yesterday and saw a pair of twins about the same age as the girls. They were dressed in adorable gray/pink sweatsuits and they were adorable. I have this dilemma with dressing my girls. I think matching is cute, but I want my girls to be individuals, not a unit. Strangely enough, when they're dressed completely different, they sometimes don't get noticed as twins. When they're matching or even coordinating, they are easily spotted out of the crowd. I guess that's why you always see matching families at Disney Land. But we're not at Disney Land. This is real life. Matching (in my humble opinion) all the time can be really cheesy. Sure there are lots of matching and coordinating outfits I have, but I also like them to be dressed differently. When they are dressed differently, I can't stand it when one is "cuter" than the other. If I have a certain dress that I want one of them to wear, I feel like I have to find an equally cute dress, so people don't think I care about one more than the other. How ridiculous is that? Seriously, I spend more time thinking about what my daughters are going to wear than I think about it for myself. Yep, I've turned into that kind of mother...
3. I know I say this every semester, but school is kicking my butt. I simply have zero motivation to do anything. I'm such a better student when I actually have to get out of pj's, walk up to campus, sit in a class, take legitimate notes, and study for a test. Online classes are horrible, especially without roommates or friends who are taking classes that can motivate me. My already pathetic motivation level is rapidly diminishing. So...who wants to finish getting my degree for me? :)
5. I'm not sure what's up with Lillian lately, but she's not sleeping. A few nights ago, she woke up around midnight and would not go back to bed. She was terrified. Her screams were not hunger screams, not sad screams, not pain screams. They were terrified screams. Her heart was beating so fast and she was hysterical. We brought her into bed with us and tried to calm her down, which just woke her up more. She did calm down, but she was ready to play. I knew that the only thing that would work was a car ride. So, I strapped her in and started driving. I decided that I would drive until she stopped crying and not turn around until then because I wanted her to be in a deep sleep when we got home. I started driving and ended up...at our old apartment. She cried for over 20 minutes in the car, on top of the 30-40 minutes that she cried at home. It was CRAZY. I didn't get home until 1:30 in the morning. Like I said, I think she's having nightmares. Babies this age can get those, right? She wasn't hungry, didn't want milk, she's not popping any teeth that I can feel, but she clung to her stuffed animal tighter than I've ever seen her do. She was scared. So, we drove around for a little over 40 minutes as I sang to her. She was out like a light once we got home and ended up sleeping in until 9:30 the next morning. Seriously though, this kid sleeps an alarming amount less than her sister and its getting a bit frustrating for the mama.
6. While at Best Buy, I got a new camera. We sold our phones and got
enough store credit to pay a significant amount of money toward a Canon
Powershot. I've been using my Canon Rebel pretty exclusively for the
over two years and I'm still not used to using such a small, compact
camera. I was nervous because I love the freedom that the Rebel gives me
(although I don't know how to do everything on it like I should) and I
was afraid that the point and shoot camera would be taking a huge step
back. I really wanted one though because we got rid of our smart phones (they were falling apart, plus I wanted to simplify life a little bit. Too many distractions...) so
I wanted something that I could throw in my purse and be on my way.
Well, I love it. I had done a little bit of research on compact cameras
before I went in and I knew that Canon made really good point and
shoots. I must say that I agree.
I'm impressed if you made it through all of that. This post was definitely more of a journal style post, filled with things that are on my mind that I want to make sure I remember. So...yeah...
Hey Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI have a Cannon Powershot too and your pictures look really great (aka better than the ones I take with it) - so I'm wondering, do you use the auto settings or do you do manual adjustments to the camera and/or edit the photos afterwards?
Thanks, Amy (same Amy that emailed you about cloth diaper questions recently, thanks again! =)
I agree with you about the whole online classes thing. I am taking one very easy class right now online, and it is kicking my trash! It's just hard to find the time and patience to sit down and do it. We will both finish...someday! Hang in there!
ReplyDelete#5 used to be you, but I think you were a little older. Ask your mom. They are called night terrors, and when they cry like that, they are not really awake. Most of my kids had them at one time or another, and Alyssa was the worst. A drink of water usually solved it. For your sake, I hope she doesn't do it again for a long time.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter used to wake up screaming too. I think it was night terrors. The one good thing about that is they have no memory of it whereas a nightmare, they remember. I hope she sleeps better.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter would have night terrors at about that age too. It's aweful. Hang in there, it will pass. You are a great mommy and I just looove your posts, one of my favorite blogs!!
ReplyDeleteSophie is a freaking genius! First she masters Photoshop, and now prank calling!!! I want a new camera, too. And best of luck with Lillian and your online classes!
ReplyDeleteThanks for checking out my blog! Your girls are adorable & your pics fantastic :)
ReplyDeleteI laughed all the way through #2. AMEN!! I spend so much time trying to find equally cute but not equal outfits for my girls. Coordinating but different colors or styles. Proud to be individuals, but proud that we're twins at the same time. Ha ha. What a life, eh? Glad I'm not alone.
ReplyDelete