10.13.2011

Sephora bag in one hand, sippy cup in the other.

Wednesday morning, I found myself at Sephora. I left my phone at the mall the night before and blah, blah, blah...I ended up at Sephora. I started looking at makeup that I personally think it way over priced. I took a glance over at the other double stroller and realized it was a snap 'n go. A double one. Those things are only used by twin moms. I instantly knew that if there were babies in a double snap 'n go (aka infants in carriers), there was a 97% chance that an exhausted mom was the owner. Sure enough, a new mom of girl/boy twins was the one pushing it. As we made small talk (how long did you carry? Does it get easier? What are you doing now that they're walking?) I had one of those full circle moments.

I don't think I ever blogged about the lady I saw at Walmart when I was pregnant, but basically, I was GIGANTIC and pacing the baby clothing when a mom with two car seats in her cart started looking at clothes next to me. I glanced over and instantly started tearing up. She asked how far along I was and I responded with 25 weeks or something and her eyes got big. I then said I was having twins she came and hugged me! She talked to me for at least 20 minutes and assured me that everything was going to be alright in spite of my massive list of doubts. It was little moments like this that I cherished and still do cherish.

So there I was with this new twin mom. She said that she specifically came to Sephora to get her makeup done so "she could feel human again". I laughed a bit and said sometimes I felt the same way, but that I usually don't {OK, never really} pay more than Cover Girl prices for makeup. We browsed around for a bit while she picked my brain for any pieces of advice that I had. We talked for a few more minutes and we both talked ourselves into spending a little money on ourselves. I ended up getting some Smashbox eyeshadow and she got some foundation. Beyond that though, I saw a little flicker of hope in her eyes. OK, I know that sounds cheesy. I actually chuckled as I typed it, but seriously guys... twins are hard work. I was hammered the first 4 months or so. I stalked every twin blog imaginable and spent most of my free time on the twin board on babycenter. This is the stage that this new mom was in. I could tell that I was her life saver for the day. I (and the super hot makeover she got) gave her that extra boost of confidence that she needed. Not that I did or said anything special, but she needed reassurance from someone who'd been there that life does get easier. 

For some reason, I can't stop thinking about this. I firmly believe that God puts people in our lives for reasons. Sure, we can be inspired where to go to school, or where to move, but also just the every day people we bump into while at the mall. I wish I would have gotten some sort of contact info from her, but I a) didn't want to be creepy like I was with Becky and b) ...see letter a. :) Really though, it was truly a full circle moment for me. It also boosted my self-esteem to buy ridiculously expensive eyeshadow. Vain? You betcha. But hey, I had two kids by the time I was 22. I'm trying really hard not to let my identity be stripped from me. Not just for my sake, but for the sake of my girls. It's a constant battle/identity crisis I have with myself and overpriced makeup helped it a little bit. 

So there I was with a Sephora bag in one hand and a sippy cup in the others and I realized just how blessed I am. I realized how much I've accomplished and grown over the past 14 months (or really since two Christmas' {Christmases? What's the correct form of that???} when I found out motherhood was just around the corner for me). I realized that you can still be a mom and splurge on yourself every once and a while and that you can reassure someone else that they too can make it. 

And on a side note... the eyeshadow is pretty amazing. I'm not used to only needing a tiny, tiny bit for each eye because I'm used to the sheer, crappy stuff apparently. Let's just say I've had to relearn how to do my makeup. That's right, I'm playing with the big girls now. ;)

And just because I know many of you folk come here to see pictures of the girls...


Oh and by the way, the pj's from the last post are from Walmart. The boy's department, specifically. :)

And this brings another question. How should I be answering questions that come from blog comments? I never know! I have several that I need to address, but never know if I should go to the persons blog (although, sometimes its not listed so that's not an option) or if I should comment on my own blog.... Thoughts? I don't want people to think I'm ignoring them!

12 comments:

  1. 1. Christmasai?

    2. I LOVED this post! Louise didn't know what she was missing when she didn't let you write for the Thunderbolt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely run into other triplet moms in public... actually never!!! But I meet them online all the time & love the feeling I get from sharing some advice or reassuring them that they're not going to DIE from having 3 babies at once. (I don't know why people think that, I never did???) But I love feeling like I've helped someone just a little. So I totally know how you felt :)
    I haven't actually splurged on myself yet (my boys are 5 months) Every time I think about getting a pedicure or buying myself an article of clothing (because everything I own is too big now) I think That amount of money could get the boys that amount of this or thats. I'm sure I'll get over it someday, but buying everything in 3's is a little overwhelming.
    Also I answer people's questions right along in the comments. I "subscribe" to the feed if I've asked a question so I get an email if anyone else comments including the owner :)
    I think you are doing a fantastic job with your girls, I kinda can't wait until my boys are their age (but I don't want them to grow up too fast)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never spend more than covergirl prices either...great post Britt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I can never figure out how to answer questions. Thanks for the shout out! :)

    Also, I am SO glad I have you and Becky (and Becca's sister Christy who had twins). I feel so lucky that I know so many twin moms! I'm glad we were roommates, even if it was only for the summer, and I am sure I will be calling and texting you all the time in a few weeks. I already harassed Becky yesterday with nursing and swing questions. You're next!

    OK. Love you. Glad you could brighten someone's day. You're good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed your blog my whole pregnancy trying to get a feel for what life is like with twins. You may not have seen the "flicker of hope" in My eyes but you put it there! You make this look easy! My girls are five months and I still like to check your blog and see what my girls will be doing soon. (I can't wait for them to actually notice each for example). There really is a kinship between twin moms and I love meeting them out and about too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I happen to love make-up! Good for you for splurging on yourself! One thing you should totally invest in is Urban Decay's Naked palette. It has about 15 colors and you get a brush. It is a little pricey but it will last you for a LONG time! I wear it almost daily!

    Also, watch you tube videos...That is how I learn a lot of my technique for make-up! It is a nice little getaway after the little goes to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Questions in Blogs are the hardest. I don't know the protocol either. My sister in-law uses formspring and just had a little link on the side for people that had questions about raising triplets. Worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok i have a long comment..

    first, i hate buying make up. hahahah! so expensive for a little colored powder..but i like that its what you needed to feel pretty!

    second, sometimes i'll read blogs from my bed before i fall asleep at night. so the other night i guess i looked at yours and had a full on dream about you and your girls..we were at a comedy show and you had both your girls..you were with fro and you were in the back. your girls didnt like it so they were crying so you brought one up to me and asked if i would babysit her while you enjoyed the show. hahahahahaha!!! so random! i hate when ppl tell me their dreams but it had you in it so i had to!!

    i love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am in love with Sephora! I am so glad that you splurged on yourself, cause you ABSOLUTELY deserve it! especially for making that girls week (or month!) we all need a little reassuring from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love bumping into other twin moms too and sharing that knowing smile--since we're the only ones that really understand. Also it breaks up the monotony of everyone else commenting, "You look like you've got your hands full..." Better than empty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been thinking about this a lot lately too! I love being a mom, but at the same time I can feel my personal identity slipping further and further away and sometimes it's scary. Sometimes I like over focus on it and it bums me out! BUT then you meet a mom randomly and you start talking and you realize that you're totally normal and that we're all trying to "find ourselves" again. After those conversations I'm always wishing it was normal to just be like, "Hey, ummmm, want to be friends? and hang out all the time?" :)

    ReplyDelete