3.01.2011

Solids?

I wasn't going to write this post, because a part of me feels like I don't need to 'justify' my (well, our) parenting choices, but several people have been genuinely curious about why we don't regularly give the babies solid food. This is a strangely touchy subject among moms, so know that this is simply what's worked for our family. Frankly, I don't care if you give your baby solids at 4 months or 12 months. There's also a bit of a back story to this and it might get a little long, so if you're interested, I hope you don't get bored. :)

Our babies were born at 35 weeks 6 days. They were a month early. I know that's not that early (especially for twins) but they still were born only an ounce or so above 5 pounds and dropped down to a tiny 4 lbs 15 oz. We were very fortunate to not run into major complications due to their prematurity and lower birth weight, but we were still warned to be extra careful with them. Their first pediatrician (who I absolutely loved) reminded us that their development will probably be a month or so behind for the first year. He said if we were going to compare them to babies around their age, to compare them to babies born in September (their due date), not August. I didn't really think much of it at first because they were only around each other. I did know several babies who were born within a week or so of my girls, but we moved before I really had a chance to 'compare them'.

Fast forward a few months to when I was hanging out with a friend. She had a baby a week or so (maybe 2 weeks?) after my girls were born. I spent the day with her at Gymboree, shopping and back at her house. I instantly noticed differences between her baby and mine. Her girl was grabbing at things, almost sitting up, rolling both ways, and was very alert. Mine at that time were, rolling one way, not reaching for anything, not even close to sitting up, and were a lot less alert than their new friend. It was a very noticeable difference. At first, it freaked me out. I worried about what was wrong with my girls, but after thinking about it for a few minutes, I remember what Dr. Brown said; I needed to compare them to babies born around their due date. They were going to be behind. This all happened when the babies were about 4 months old and Wendy had just started giving her baby solids.

I talked to Josh about the day and my concerns and we decided that it would be best for our babies to wait at least until they turned 5-6 months before we introduced solids. If we waited until they were 5 months their corrected age would be 4 months (obviously..) and that is the minimum recommended age to start giving your baby solid food. (I know several healthy babies have had food earlier, but for us, we felt that this was what would work for our girls) So, despite kind pressure (and I'm not being sarcastic, everyone has been nice about it) from some of our family and friends, we held off. I started reading a lot on starting babies on solids and I quickly realized that the trend of starting with rice cereal is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Rice cereal isn't something that babies need at all. In fact, for formula fed babies, it can cause terrible constipation (because of the extra iron) that has to be countered with fruit juice (usually apple). Our babies have both had constipation numerous times over their 6 month life, so I didn't really want to chance it with cereal and honestly, didn't see the point of cereal. It made sense to me, to start with baby food. Fruits and veggies specifically. Nutritional dense with lots of fiber (anti-constipation stuff) and I could make it myself and control what was going into my babies' system. Since I felt like I completely dropped the ball with breastfeeding, I really liked the idea of buying organic or locally grown fruits and vegetables and making my own baby food. So, on their half birthday, that's what we did.

We gave them avocados and they had the typical reaction. They didn't eat much at all and it was pretty funny to watch. I still wasn't convinced though that it was necessary for them to eat from a spoon yet. Josh agreed. In fact, I was the one who pushed him to feed the girls 'real' food then and really it was only for traditions sake. I wanted the classic '6 month feeding' picture. It wasn't a bad experience by any means, but honestly, the girls weren't that interested and we decided to hold off a little longer.

Then, I started learning about baby led weaning. It's pretty interesting. Take a look.


I don't want to write too much info on something we haven't tried, but basically babies learn to chew on food before they learn to swallow. It's done at their pace and you don't have to do a bunch of extra steps to prepare the food. It's actually super popular outside of the U.S. and although we haven't tried it yet, I want to. There's lots of information on the web about it. Like I said, it's pretty interesting.

For now, the babies have tried avocados, and bananas. I also cheated a little and wanted to test the rice cereal in the bottle thing and sadly they didn't sleep any better. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but for our girls, the chamomile oil worked a lot better. We're starting to feed them solids more and more as they approach their 7th (but according to due date 6th) month birthday. In the past few weeks since their 6th month birthday, we've seen some major changes in their physical capabilities and overall development. I now think they're ready for solids.

I honestly have no idea why there is such a strong debate over feeding your child. I mean, if you're stuffing Big Macs down a 5 month old, I'm guessing we can all say, "Bad idea." but the whole when-to-introduce-food and breastmilk/formula debates are getting old. I tried to avoid the subject with everyone who brought it up because I really didn't want to offend people by not taking their advice. What it comes down to is the fact that Josh and I know our girls pretty well and wanted to wait until they were truly ready. So, that's what we did. I'm ok if people think we're crazy for going against the norm. I just don't understand why it matters. I guess we like to do things differently at our house. We have 2 babies at once, we cloth diaper and we feed them in unconventional ways. Ya know what? I'm completely ok with that.

Also, can I get a halle-freakin'-lujah for March? I love this month. Maybe it's because I was born on the last day of this month, but it's always been up there on my favorite month list. Yahoo!

10 comments:

  1. Brittany, I am totally hearing you about being hesitant to post about certain things. I really expected to get pregnant and have unconditional support (or at least polite disagreement) of my parenting decisions and was sad to discover that this is often not the case. Your girls seem so happy and healthy - that speaks for itself!
    Also, a good friend pointed out to me recently that others seem to be in such a hurry for babies to grow up - when are they starting solids, when are you going to potty train, etc. I think it's a mistake not to savor every baby moment :)
    And Hallefreakinlujah for March!!! My boys are due in April (40 wks) so they are expected sometime this month, the later the better! Maybe on your birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I totally want to post about a million things but I'm worried all my readers would fly out the door! Good for you, doing what's best for your bebes.

    So, I guess you're a week older than me. My birthday is April 7! I'll be 24.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to know about this! I don't think you are crazy at all. I would do the same. Matthew just turned 6 months but really is only 4 months and I don't think he is ready either. I am going to wait longer. Do I not have to worry about a baby choking doing it solid like that? I am sure it is cooked so it is soft. I have an appointment with him Monday and would love to talk this over with my doctor. What sites do you like that is helping you find this info? I would love to know. I love the idea of a child feeding themselves. Much easier for mom! Thanks for this. I am glad you posted about it. You can see I have very similar concerns as you and would love to know what you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I'm curious to know what the benefits are to this. I can see the chewing before swallowing issue, because that only makes sense. You are such agood mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you make no egg french toast?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post - it sounds sensible to wait until your girls are ready before solids - hey I think some babies never really get into them until they're closer to 1! Whatever works for you - and I love reading blogs where people actually write interesting posts about important stuff or controversial issues - so much better than endless giveaways! We are doing (mostly) baby led weaning with our son who's 6 months, and it's a lot of fun - amazing what they can eat and he really seems to enjoy it! There are a lot of great recipes online too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Keep following your intuition and the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. Keep following your intuition and the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again! I just commented on another post of yours... so ooookay. I feel the SAME WAY you do about breastfeeding. I just happened upon your blog today so I don't know the background BUT I can definitely say that I feel like I totally dropped the ball with the BFing. I don't care that my girls got formula, big whoop! But it was something I really wanted to do and it just didn't work out. I was able to BF our 3rd baby for 4 months, an accomplish but still I wish I could have done it longer! C'est la vie. :)

    And the whole feeding issue in general ~ good for you!! In my time as a MoM, I have learned that my instinct knows BEST and that if it works for us, then that's what we do! :) My girls were born at 35w5d and I would always have to remind myself that they aren't behind and I needed to adjust. Definitely by 1 years old, they were pretty much on par with other 1 year olds. And now at age 3, they are excelling others in some areas! So... I think we caught up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We also waited until our girls were 6 months before introducing solids. Mainly because thats what the American Pediatric Association recommended. They compile stats and have boards of researchers and whatnot and they say that babies that are not fed solids until 6 months have less chances of obesity, illness, and allergies. Plus there is the whole open-gut/closed-gut thing too (http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html) which is yet another reason to wait. Anyhoo, kudos to you for knowing your babies and doing what you know to be best for them! Being a first time Mom is sure hard! They tell me its gonna be easier the second (third in our case?) time around.

    ReplyDelete