3.04.2011

Dead fish baby


I'm going to be straight with all of you. Sophie is weird. Ask Josh--she really is. I can't explain it, but at a {almost} 7 months old, she's already a very quirky child. Spend a few hours with her and you'll see it for yourself.

Her newest quirk? Flopping like a dead fish in her crib. Last night, I put the babies down and within a few minutes, they were both asleep. A few minutes after that, Sophie started screaming. I went in to give her the binky she kindly spat out, and she was on her tummy. No biggie. I turned her over, gave her the binky and shut the door. A few minutes later, she starts screaming again. Guess what position she was in? On her belly again. Now, I'm not completely against her sleeping on her belly if that's how she really wants to do it. In fact, Josh is a side sleeper and I'm a side/belly sleeper, so it makes sense that she would want to be that way too. However, she doesn't want to be on her belly. She usually sleeps like this-


IMG_6686
Adorable, right?

So, after several times of her flipping over last night, I decided to swaddle her like she was a newborn. I thought if her arms were tightly wrapped, she wouldn't be able to turn around. She was swaddled, binkied, and I left the room. Guess what happened 2 minutes later? More screaming. I checked on her and once again, she was belly down. Still swaddled like a little sausage, trying to lift her head and roll on her back again. By this point, I had wanted to see how she did it, so I flipped her once again {seriously, it was about the 7th time...} and stood in the corner of the room to watch what she did.

It was hysterical. Have you ever been fishing? We used to go all the time with my Grandpa Herdman. One thing I remember was feeling a little bad for the fish and I watched them flop around on the ground. They'd lift their tail {I'm not sure that's the correct word. I don't have a the anatomy of a fish memorized} arch their back, and flop in a feeble attempt to get back into the water. Well, that's just what Sophie did. She took her little swaddled legs, shoved them into the air and started arching her back. She got a good inch or so of air as she flopped back and forth and all of the sudden she flipped onto her stomach. She let out a gasp of satisfaction at first, but quickly got frustrated because she was on her stomach.

IMG_6979
This was taken yesterday during their afternoon nap. She was screaming as I took this picture. Awesome mom moment, right?

I had no idea what to do. I couldn't just turn her over because we all know what she would have done. So, I literally held on to her legs until she fell asleep. I'm not sure what I'll do tonight. I just wish she could make the connection between her action and the consequence. Even after flipping over at least a dozen times, she continues to do it and continues to hate it. I don't understand it at all.
What an odd, odd duck.
IMG_7053
A cute duck, but odd nonetheless.
{And the last picture has nothing to do with anything, but I thought the smirk was pretty funny.}

Anyone have suggestions on getting her to stop?

Also, Sharon is coming to take the girls' pictures Monday morning. I'm about to pee my pants with excitement. Really, I'm thrilled.

Oh, and remember Becky? She had her boys this morning. I've been thinking for the past few hours about the morning I became a mother. What an incredible day. I'm so excited for Becky!
Happy birthday, Micah and Grey!

AND {one last and, I promise} it's Hailey Sweeten's birthday. Remember how I love her and miss her terribly? Boise doesn't deserve her and she needs to come back to Utah asap.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I literally laughed my way through this post! Rylie my older by one minute twin sleeps the exact same way, but she MUST be cuddles up to a blanket. I can imagine how funny it was to see in person...silly girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahh i LOVE those pictures! so cute! what cuties you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Found my way here from Becky's blog! I have twins, too (girls, 3 1/2 years old). My girls were total stomach sleepers! At week four, after a month of no sleep, we decided to try stomach sleeping ~ it worked like a charm. I was nervous at first but...some kids are just built that way! :) As far as the flipping over goes, it's not so much a suggestion as just ~ don't feel badly for not helping, she'll get the hang of it! Give her a couple weeks of practice and she'll figure out how to get back into place. :)

    Your girls are adorable! Congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sister:
    In response to Sophie being weird:
    all the best people are. Plus, being left hand does something to a person, it makes them extra weird. Just as Taralea Forster :) I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, loved this post! And the picture at the end is awesomely cute! :)
    When my babies start to turn themselves over in the night, I like to stick them on their side and then, I put a blanket on their tummy and between their arms to kind of prop them. I wonder if she is trying to sleep on her side, but ends up going to her tummy on accident. I don't know, lol, it was a thought anyway. Super super cute little girls, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete