I woke up about every hour or so with insane cramps. I've called our dr before during 'after hours' freaking out over cramps, but they ended up being nothing. With twins, everything stretches twice as much and twice as fast, so I REALLY wanted to believe that this was just another "expansion". Since this is my first pregnancy, I didn't want to be one of those women who freak out and run to the hospital at every Braxton Hick. However, by 8 am, I had thrown up a few times and was having lower back/abdomen pains every ten minutes or so. We called an old Primary teacher of mine who's a delivery nurse and she said to go straight to the hospital. So, that's what we did.
I was terrified to say the least. Not only did I feel like garbage, but I was trying to convince myself that if I really was in labor everything would be ok. I was actually grateful that we were in Provo because Logan can't handle babies younger than 32 weeks. Since I'm at 28 weeks, if I went into labor in Logan, we'd have to be transported to Ogden or Salt Lake anyways. As we drove to the hospital, I prayed that everything would be ok, but I was exhausted and scared out of my mind.
To make a long story short, everything is fine. Turns out that any virus or bacteria can cause legitimate contractions. So, I've got a rotten case of the stomach flu and my body decided it couldn't handle that along with pregnancy so it tried to "jump ship" as the nurse put it. They ran several tests that can predict up to 2 weeks in advance if you'll go into labor, and my results were negative. So, the Mangel-babies will still cook for at least 2 weeks, but for now I've got to take it easy. One crazy thing about pregnancy, is that they tell you not to lay on your back, but EVERY procedure deals with you on your back. I guess it only makes sense, but being strapped up to 3 monitors for about 3 hours (on top of the 2 hours we'd already been there) and not being able to move almost put me in my grave. The doctor needed 20 minutes of consistent heartbeats from both babies, but of course they both thought it was a big game and kept moving around every minute or so. I tried to reason with the girls and even bribe them into holding still, but that only got them to dance around more. I even threatened baby a that I'd love baby b more because she was still for about 15 minutes straight. Looks like we'll have some wild girls...
Anyways, this brings me to the title of my post. The nurse at the hospital recommended that I stay put in Logan until after these girls are born. I'm thinking that might be a good idea, because the last 2 or 3 times we've got to Utah Valley, some sort of pregnancy/sickness drama has occurred. Also, I'd like to give a shout out to Josh. Poor guy didn't sleep at all last night because I was constantly getting up, moaning and complaining. He was really sweet to me at the hospital and I didn't give him the credit he deserved. If you ever think you've seen me moody or irritated, you've got nothing on what my husband has had to deal with lately.
So... the moral of the story is that contractions are awful (and I was only experiencing mild ones compared to the final moments of labor) and although many people swear by natural childbirth, I thank Heavenly Father for modern medicine and will gladly be taking the epidural. (Well, that and the fact that I might have to have an emergency c-section and without a epi, your options are a lot more limited) My week of blah was probably a warning from my body for what was to come. Did I do anything other than complain? No. Should I have? Yes. I think it's time for me to stop living in denial and start acting pregnant.
Oh man. I'm so glad everything turned out okay for you. It sure can be scary. Take it easy and relax the rest of the time. Enjoy laying around because before you know it that will be coming to an end! =0
ReplyDeletegirl, you have had one crazy weekend!! wow. i'm glad everything is ok. i was about ready to scroll down and see some pictures of those babies!!
ReplyDeletei'm glad i got to see you one last time before the little girlies arrive!
Oh man, that's scary!! I'm glad everything went ok! Get some rest before those girlies come!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that everything is ok! I am so sorry that you aren't feeling well. I hope you get better! I would be terrified!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that everything is okay!!! We LOVE you and I hope that you feel better soon! :) I'm sure we can take a trip up there soon and visit! I'm sure everyone who loves you can take a trip to Logan, too, if needs be! :)
ReplyDeleteWow Brittany! Hang in there! I'm so sorry! Labor and the end is rough but after you have the baby, its crazy but you really do pretty much forget! It's wonderful and being a Mom is wonderful! Seriously you are so close! And don't feel bad about complaining, Girl you have twins and as I see it, you are completely entitled to complain! :)
ReplyDelete