6.21.2010

Week 29 and they're still cookin'

It's crazy that I'm 29 weeks pregnant. Seriously. Blows. My. Mind. I'm an avid user of babycenter.com and I'm in a group called September 2010 Twins. It's been a few days since I've been on and over the past week or so, THREE women have given birth to their twins. That's six babies that have come into the world before 30 weeks. All are doing well (as well as a micro premie can be) and it's quite a reminder to me that I really have no control over this situation. 2 of the women were on bedrest and the other was shopping at the mall when her water spontaneously broke. Awkward. Luckily, I haven't had any real signs of labor and I'm still able to live my life relatively normal.

Yesterday at church, I was washing my hands in the bathroom, when an elderly woman came in. Here's our conversation...

Lady: "Oh sweet heart, when are you due?"

Me: "In early September."

Lady: "You're MIGHTY big for still having 3 months to go!"

Me: "Well, we're having twins, so they'll probably be here in August and yes, I am getting pretty big."

Lady: "Oh, you're the one having twins! I heard it announced that someone was, but I didn't have a name to a face. Well, I don't know how you'll do it, but I'm sure you'll be given lots of advice because this ward is a twin factory!"

With that, I dried my hands while trying not to bust out laughing. She's right. Our ward IS a twin factory. In fact, our girls will be the 5th set of twins currently in the ward. They're all same gender twins (although I don't think any are identical. Well, maybe the newest boys, I'm not sure) and because of us, the girl twins will now outnumber the boys. I love it.

We later spoke in Sacrament meeting and I mentioned our upcoming twins. We gave our talks and as we were heading home, we got stopped by just about every old lady (and there are a LOT in our ward) asking if they were identical, if twins ran in our families, and letting us know that we'll have our hands full. I feel awkward at all the extra attention because really, is two babies that much different than one?

Whenever people tell us how full our hands will be, I turn it into something slightly more positive. Instead of being stunned and awkward about it, I now reply, "well, we've never brought home one baby, so how busy and tired are will just be our reality. Every kid after this will be a piece of cake!" That seems to do the trick to momentarily calm my nerves and I'm sure the parents I say it to still think I'm crazy, but I think I'm right. Bringing two babies will be our reality and we'll get used to it...

...hopefully...

I'll post a pic sometime soon. I don't think I look like I've changed that much, but according to the scale and what my body's telling me, I have. I guess the last picture I put up was around week 25, so for those of you who don't see me every day, I probably have changed. Decision made. A picture is coming soon.

One last thing. My sister-in-law's sister just found out she is having twins. I'm so happy for her and can't believe my brother will be the uncle to two sets of twins! Again, it all blows my mind.

5 comments:

  1. wow! twins everywhere.
    there are two sets in my family.
    and 4 sets in my ward and 1 set of triplets...
    my sister in law went all 38 weeks. she is superwoman.
    i am so happy for you and i can't wait to see your little gals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you go girl!! that is awesome. you are going to make one awesome mama...i don't care what anyone says!

    ps. how did your talk go yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on your talks yesterday!

    I think some of the older twins in our ward are identical. I know the Welker boys are. The Johnson girls LOOK like they are. And I think the Hosking's babies are, but don't quote me on that. I think there's something in the water around here, seriously. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Welker boys are identical? That's funny because I just convinced myself yesterday in Primary that they weren't...haha. I think you're right about the Johnson girls. They do look a lot alike. Well, maybe our girls will be the odd ones out! Who knows though, they could still be identical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The good news is the as parents we just deal with what we are given and some how we find the strength to do it all. You won't know any different from one baby to 2 so don't worry. You can handle it. My friend had twins and she said that it gets to a point where they are easier because they entertain eachother. I am looking forward to this because the 1 I have right now always has to be entertained!!

    ReplyDelete