I may get a
tiny political one more time on this little blog. I've never really had strong opinions either way on immigration, but
this makes me sad. If you're truly against illegal immigration, why not attack the "problem" at the source? Who's that you might ask? Companies like
Tyson chicken and
Walmart (and virtually any factory job) who actively recruit in Mexico promising a better life in the states. They throw them a bone and we freak out when they take it. Like I said, if you're so against illegal immigration then go after those corporations and make them face up to
their criminal acts and change their procedures. Oh wait, we don't because in America, we hold our corporations as Gods and we don't want to pay higher prices. So, instead we'll practice racial profiling in the name of "keeping the law". We'll pay minimum wage, put them in horrible working conditions, not give them any (human) rights (no health care, no unions, worker's comp etc) and when there's a raid, we'll applaud at how many "criminals" we kicked out of our country. Then, a few weeks later, we'll go south of the boarder and entice some more to come.
(I put quotes around the word criminals because I think that the true criminals of this situation are the corporations who are exploiting workers and getting away with it.)
Maybe I am a hippie, because all I want to do is shop at farmers markets, free trade stores and cloth diaper my babies. :)
I was talking about this with a friend of mine and he said that if we're going to do this, we should just go ahead and make them wear a symbol of some kind so everybody knows their status, you know, like maybe a yellow star or something.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you all the way. Except maybe on the cloth diapers. We'll have to see how brave I am when the time comes. =)