3.19.2013

Cloth diapers no more?

Confession: This post ended up being a bit more emotional for me than I was expecting. But then again, who are we kidding? Of course *I* would cry over the potential ending of my cloth diapering era! 

So... I think we might be done with cloth diapers. NOT by my choice, but by the girls'. You'd think that would mean we're potty training. Nope. That's not happening either. They just hate cloth diapers all of the sudden. I try putting them on them and they scream, "MONKEY DIAPER! MONKEY DIAPER! MONKEY DIAPER!" and then they go running for our bin of Luvs.

I think it might be because they can actually feel when they're wet in cloth. Disposables absorb SO much SO well, that they can run around with it sagging and dangling between their legs and not even care (not that we do that...much...) With cloth, at the first sign of a tinkle, they freak. Sign of potty training readiness? One would think, except not for my girls.

 I'm not sure what to do. Do I just magically make all of our monkey diapers disappear and force them to potty train? Lillian has used the potty a few times, but then she peed her pants and fa-reeeeaked and it's been monkey diapers ever since. Sophie still has zero desire to have anything to do with anything potty related. I mention underwear and she panics. I bring out the potty (we usually just have it sitting in the corner of the living room) and she screams NO POTTY and ends up using it as a bowl to eat out of (note: I haven't let this happen since Lillian peed in it... ;) ) 

It makes me sad that days of cloth diapering twins are numbered (or over?). I will say this much, I wish I could go back to the day when I was eh...18ish weeks pregnant and brought up the idea to my coworkers. I'm pretty sure my boss about had a heart attack and told me when his daughter had pooped her pants a few days earlier, they threw away her underwear AND the pants because they didn't want to deal with the poop. I know for sure one of my coworkers laughed out loud and the topic was brought up for weeks. Honestly, it was that experience that pushed me to do it. I thought, "I'll show them! I WILL cloth diaper twins!!" 
And guess what? I did. 

And not to toot my own horn or anything, but over the past two years, I've started a chain that's inspired at least a couple dozen people to do it. At least. Really. And I've encouraged moms who were about to give up and helped them find solutions to their issues. It's a good feeling to know that I've helped save so many people money and helped saved so many disposables from ending up in our landfills. 

So, I'm sad about it. Actually, heartbroken over it. I haven't put the diapers away just yet because I keep hoping that maybe they'll request the purple diaper or the "birdy tweet tweet" diaper or something other than the monkey diaper, but I'm thinking our potty training adventure is about to begin. 

Wish us luck and PLEASE feel free to leave your best tips, links, advice, etc here. Heaven knows I'll need it....

But for now, let's say take a walk down cloth diaper memory lane.

Lillian at 2 months old on her blessing day. Adorable, right?




Cute picture, but sooo out of focus. Oh well...






(I'll have you know that I literally started crying while I was sifting through my folders and folders of pictures of the girls. Gosh, they were so tiny and adorable...)

Cloth diapers, thanks for all the good times. We might not have much use for you for a while, but it was fun while it lasted. You are adorable, saved us so much money and made me feel a little bit like super woman. I'll miss spraying you, stuffing you, folding you and seeing by girls bums grow 3x their normal sizes. 


You think I'm kidding, but I'm definitely not. Cloth bums are the cutest.
It's been a week since we've had one in our house and I miss it dearly.

6 comments:

  1. I k now among triplet mamas the 3 day method seems to be what everyone is going with & you do just that... Throw away the diapers so there is no turning back & go straight to underwear. A few have found a naked bum works better at first though.
    I just bought potty chairs for the boys, only one has an interest in the chair but only as a chair. He carries it out in front of the tv & sits down on it, lol...
    We are moving the end of June so I'm thinking of potty training after that, the boys won't even be 2 until next month.
    I understand how you feel about losing the cloth though. Two of my boys are huge & are nearing the weight/size limit of 35lbs.
    I've looked into cloth pull ups but just can't justify the money just for a few months.
    Good luck with your potty training adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Brittany! Don't switch to the monkey diapers! It is time to potty train! :) be patient with accidents; they will happen. Give them lots to drink so they know what a full bladder feels like. Salty things to make them drink help too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also just throw out the monkey diapers and give them the choice of going on the potty or wearing the cloth diaper. If they don't want to wear underwear or a diaper, just let them go bare bottomed for a few days and they will figure it out. Lots of water, salty foods, and some sort of reward for successful trips to the potty. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did cloth diapers too and I think that was why Elanor potty trained so quickly--she did not like wet diapers! We read a lot of potty books and the Elmo's potty time video helped a lot as well. I am not al that into Elmo but Elanor loved it and it helped her to get excited. If you want to potty train get rid of all your diapers and just put them in underwear and training pants (but not pull-ups since they are not any different than a diaper) and they will do it, albeit there will probably be a lot of accidents and frustration, but it is so worth it! I wrote a blog post on potty training if you are curious: http://plentyofnothing.blogspot.com/2012/08/potty-training-tutorial.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspired me! Best of luck with potty training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even have any kids and you have inspired me to cloth diaper when we do end up having kids! Good luck on whatever you decide to do :)

    ReplyDelete