Today was hard. It was one of those days where for a brief, selfish moment, I wished I didn't have twins. The girls were all over the place. Josh got home at 6:30 this morning and both girls were screaming. I was zonked out in bed, so who knows how long they had been up. I have never slept through their morning cries. At the first peep of a baby making noise, I pop out of bed. Not today though, I was beat.
So I grabbed the girls, took them downstairs and tried to calm them down so Josh could go to bed. They were awful. SO riled up and none of my usual tricks were doing anything. It took almost a half hour of us (and I say 'us' because Josh stayed up to help) to get them settled down. From then, Josh went up to bed and I was left with the terrors. Over the next few hours, they knocked over a bookshelf, broke a bowl, tipped over their highchairs and Lillian was banging Sophie with one of the legs. They almost pulled down our blinds, opened a container of wipes and pulled about half of them out, grabbed poo out of diaper that should have been thrown away and so on and so on..
It sucked. They kicked my trash. And all while Josh was trying to sleep. I tried taking them outside, but my allergies only allowed that for about 15 minutes. I tried coloring, stickers. their favorite movies, letting them play with Tupperware that they never get to play with, etc, but they were just too much for me. By noon I decided it was time for an early nap for everyone. I gave the girls some milk, a few treats and stuck them in their cribs with a books and toys. I laid down and miraculously slept until 2! It was amazing! The rest of our afternoon was a bit better, but the girls were still giving me a run for my money.
Anyway, I didn't intend to write that all out. I was going to stick with a "the girls were hard today" and leave it at that. Oops. Guess I needed to vent... but the real reason for this post is what I learned tonight.
These babies have zero ability to hold a grudge. I lost my temper with them a few times today and was more harsh than I should have been. I didn't do anything over the top, but I was not patient at all. And the girls were mean to each other. Hitting, stealing toys, knocking each other over, etc. You'd think that at the end of the day, they'd be a little less inclined to run up and give me kisses. A little less likely to hold their sister's hand. Nope. That didn't happen at all. When I told them, "girls! It's time to go to sleep! Grab your blankets!" Sophie ran to grab Lillian's first. She gave her sister her blanket before she got her own. And then, they folded their arms while I was saying our prayer without being asked. And after that, they jumped up and gave each other a hug. Then they came over to me and did the same. Lillian found a binky for Sophie and tickled her toes and I laid her down in her crib. Then she waved and said, "bye!" as she shut Sophie's door. Lillian then grabbed her Elmo, threw him in her crib and patiently waited for me to stick her in. I did and as she started sucking on her blanket her cute little hand started waving.
I love them. They are so good. They are forgiving. They are so kind. They are becoming best friends who are concerned about each other and wanting to be "ni" (nice) to their sister. They've taught me so much and it's amazing how horrible my attitude was this morning. They were pretty rotten, but they definitely made up for it.
I'm so lucky to have them and I need to stop forgetting that.
Thanks for sharing your day, Brittany. It makes me feel better to know that I am not the other mother out there who has a rough day. It can be really hard, and I respect you immensely and I love you even more!
ReplyDeleteWe have had a few days like that recently too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post. I needed that happy ending today:)
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you had a bad day! So glad the good outweighs the bad though huh? You are such a great mamma, your posts are always awesome!!
ReplyDeleteour mom has many horror stories of us, too! but the good // best friend stuff will come soon and it will make up for it. promise :)
ReplyDelete