This post was written almost two weeks ago. I'm not sure why it's just being published, but it is what it is. :)
The other day while giving the girls a bath, I told Josh, "you know, our girls are really lucky to have a twin." He agreed. I always wanted to be a twin. One of my favorite shows growing up was 'Sister, Sister' and I sometimes pretended that my long lost twin came to live with us. I mean, how cool would that be?
I was at the store last night by myself (that hardly ever happens, so I reeeally relish when it does) and I spotted two girls that looked 7 or so, dressed exactly alike. I sometimes get tired of answering the, "are they twins?" question (and all of the questions that I know will follow), but when I see potential twins, I can't help but ask. Especially if they're girl twins. Instead of asking the mom, I thought I'd ask the girls (and yes, after I asked I realized that that was kind of creeperish of me...). One of the girls got a huge smile on her face and said, "YES! We're twins!". I immediately told them that I had twin girls that were a year old. Their mom looked at me and said, "It only gets better from here!" She talked about how her girls are best friends. They do everything together. They choose to dress identically. They have naturally made the same friends. They don't want separate bedrooms. They sometimes sleep in the same bed together. She even joked that she was pretty sure they'd never date and never get married and be roommates for the rest of their lives. I laughed a little and told her that I think I'd be ok with that.
It makes me excited to see older twins. I remember seeing an elderly set of twins in Logan when I was still pregnant that were dressed in coordinating outfits. They were at least 70 and still shopping together and dressing alike. It made me SO happy! I have a friend who had a church leader who's wife (following this so far...) who called up her twin sister and planned their outfits if they knew they were going to be out in public together. The twin bond can be cheesy, but I think it's amazing. These twin bloggers are proof of the amazing bond.
And currently, as I'm writing this, the girls are giggling hysterically with each other and as much as I want to roll around with them on the floor, I know I'd ruin it. I know they'd stop because sometimes I'm the 'uncool' mom. So, instead I thought I'd write about how amazing twins are. It's something I'll never understand, but I feel privileged to watch it as a mother. Sometimes I still get a little bit sad that I'll never get to experience one child at a time, but that's usually quickly overcome by the happiness that these twins give me. They are a team. They complete our family (for now that is). They've helped Josh and I figure ourselves and our relationship out. I've met so many amazing people through them. And I've been able to offer some 'been there done that' to many new moms. So while there's a tiny part of me that's afraid my girls will wind up like the twins my coworker was so quick to tell me about (twin girls who hated each other. One was pretty, skinny, made cheer leading had boyfriends, etc, while her twin was fat, had bad acne and had only a few friends...) I'm pretty sure my girls will be like the twins I saw at the store. Best friends who spend all night talking in their room and end up falling asleep in the same bed.
Here's one of the most decent Valentine's Day pictures I got yesterday. I literally followed them around for 40 minutes trying to get a nice picture of both of them. Who am I kidding? The definitely have minds of their own. Oh and don't mind Lillian's face. A friend and I did some last minute V-day shopping and I sort of went crazy on the sugary purchases. Obviously, Lillian enjoyed them...
They really are lucky to have an instant best friend from the moment they were born.
And for that, I think I'll always be a little bit jealous of them.

I always wanted a twin too! Wouldn't that be fun? That's a big reason I wanted my kids close together-so they'd always have a friend. Your girls are lucky to have each other.
ReplyDeleteReading about your girls is what made me want to have another girl so badly. I'm so glad Sage gets to experience even what having a sister is like..because I never did. Your girls make me so happy to read about :)
ReplyDeleteWho didn't want a twin! I wanted one that was really good in math so we could switch places and she could go to class and do my math stuff :P
ReplyDeleteAnd I find it funny when people ask "are they twins?" its usually yes and followed by the next set of questions... identical- yes , do twins run in the family...yes but identical is not hereditary... do you want more... etc... and then there are the random comments people make while we are out and about!
My favorite are times when my husband goes out with the girls (they are now 8 months) and he gets asked "are they twins?" and he will say .. " no, two different moms.... " and just leave it at that just to see what people say... or the looks on their faces! I dont get offended or bothered by that I find it pretty funny!!
Looking forward to the next post- I enjoy following along!!
I hope my girls are the best of friends as they grow <3
you are the sweetest! we hope your girls are best friends like us because it is honestly the greatest thing in the entire world! it's sooo much fun to read your posts about them, it brings back such memories!
ReplyDeleteLove this post! I am amazed every day at the bond that they are just born with. So awesome. Twins rock:)
ReplyDelete