2.06.2012

Cloth diapering... for the millionth time.

Yep, another cloth diaper post. This one will be quick though. I have a little tip that I recently discovered that seems like common sense, but I've never done it and I haven't heard (read) anyone else recommend to do it. Feel free to skip this post if you don't care about cloth diapers or if words like 'urine' and 'fermentation' make you queasy.

So.... If you have a diaper sprayer (which I highly, highly recommend. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't cloth diaper without one) spray every diaper, not just the poopy ones. Why? It really helps cut back the ammonia. When pee sits in fabric for more than a couple of days, it starts to ferment. And that fermentation leads to ammonia which is AWFUL. Microfiber is especially prone to holding in urine even after it's washed. Most people who use microfiber will experience the evils of ammonia sometime while cloth diapering. I did! By rinsing out every diaper, you get rid of the urine that would normally be sitting in your wet bag (or pail) until laundry day. Some people do laundry every day, but others wait every 3 days. That's plenty of opportunity for your diapers to get stinky (not to mention the ammonia burns that infest your baby's bum...). I started rinsing every diaper a couple of months ago and it has made ALL the difference. I haven't used bleach since, and don't always do an extra cold rinse before I wash them. I've had little to no build up and my microfiber smells normal.

I should note that when I say 'every diaper' I mean every synthetic fabric. I don't rinse out my cotton prefolds. Natural fabric, like cotton, doesn't trap urine and washes much easier. In fact, I'm kind of waiting for the day when my microfiber stops holding in water (which they will probably when we're using them with our next kid. And NO that wasn't an announcement...) so I can replace it all with natural fibers, like prefolds. The one down side to prefolds are they don't give the baby the 'stay dry' feel, so I usually lay some fleece down so the cotton doesn't touch the skin (if I don't Lillian will sometimes get rashes). But the positive of prefolds is that they hold a lot, but they are able to 'let go' of the urine and not ferment it to ammonia nastiness.

So there's that little tip for ya. Spraying messy diapers takes maybe 30 seconds, so spraying diapers that are only holding liquid takes maybe 10. I still wash every other day and have started to add a few drops of tea tree oil (a natural antibacterial/antifunal oil) when I add the detergent. The diapers come out clean, stainless and ammonia free.


 So yes, 16ish months later and we are still using the cloth diapers and we still love them.


5 comments:

  1. So what detergent are you using to wash your diapers? I use Flip covers with cotton prefolds pretty much exclusively and I still get the ammonia smell problem pretty badly on the prefolds. I don't rinse them out when they are just wet, but I did consider doing it. I have been adding 1/4 cup bleach to the wash cycle on the prefolds for the last few months and that is what cleans out the ammonia smell. I would love to not use the bleach, but if I don't, my 2 year old always has a urine/ammonia smell clinging to him. His diapers will smell ammonia-ish right after he urinates in them...until I started using the bleach (and I use Country Save detergent plus an extra rinse before and after the wash cycles). Hence my question for you on your detergent. I'd love to find a way to not use bleach. Does the tea tree oil do much for the ammonia smell, do you think? I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use 1 1/2- 2 TBS of Tide in each load. I use a little bit of bleach every couple of months or so, but usually don't have to. I've tried other detergents, but have always come back to Tide. If your prefolds are getting ammonia, I think it's safe to assume that it's the detergent. I know that Country Safe is "safe" for cloth diapers, so I'm thinking you're either using too much or two little, but my gut would go with too much. I usually wash 20ish diapers at a time and I never go over 2 TBS. I also know that Rockin' Green makes some sort of 'funk' detergent that is supposed to help with ammonia, but I haven't tried it. There was a thread on the cloth diaper board on babycenter a while ago talking about how they used fish tank cleaner on their diapers and it permanently got rid of the ammonia after they had tried everything. Let me see if I can find it.

    Here it is! http://community.babycenter.com/post/a23042415/ammonia_is_gone

    Hope you get it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading your blog for a long time now (although this is my first time commenting!) and I just wanted to say I am so thankful for your posts about cloth diapering. Thanks to you I am seriously looking into it for baby #2. I had a question.. do you have a regular washer or an HE washer? I have a top loading HE (with no agitator) and I was wondering if that made a difference in wash regimens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, thanks for the reply on which detergent you use...I have two kids in cloth now, and I hae about 20 prefolds in each lload too. I try to be careful on the amount of country save I use, they have this tiny little scoop that is abt. 1/4 cup and I only use half of it. But I may have to try Tide. Sometime recetly in your posts, you mentioned you might need to find a new pediatrician for your girls. FOr some reason I have assumed you live in north Utah County...is that true? I have no idea what made me think that. If so maybe try the Utah Valley Pediatricians Group here: uvpediatrics.com I take my kids to Dr. Mumford at the AF office and I have also seen Dr. McCune at the saratoga springs office. I like them quite a bit and unlike some other pediatric clinics, they will be flexible with you on vaccinations...I've heard other drs. will refuse to treat your children at all if you don't want to follow the "RULES" when it comes to vaccines. I actually do just follow the typical vaccine schedules, but have asked our pediatrician what they would do if I didn't want to, and he said they don't turn people away for it and will work with the parents on how they want it done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you do when you are in a place without a sprayer, like someone else's house? (I'm just beginning my research on cloth diapering)

    ReplyDelete