So I wrote this post back on November 8th, but debated if I should publish it or not. It wasn't until a couple of conversations with a few friends that I decided to go ahead and post it. So here's my Truth Tuesday as you could call it...
Yep, I'm talking about it again. In a few weeks, it will be the year anniversary of "weaning" (and I put that in quotes because I never really weaned them since they were never fully on breast milk) the girls. Every mom that has wanted to breastfeed and hasn't been able to knows the guilt. Mothers who successfully breastfeed don't fully understand it. When you're bombarded with "breast is best" propaganda (ok, propaganda might be a slightly strong word...) and you're told that nutritionally nothing can beat breast milk, you'll build an incredible bond with your child, etc and you fail, it's really easy to let the guilt consume you. There's also that worry in the back of your mind because you wonder if your child will have a horrible immune system or that they won't be attached to you because they drank from a bottle. Since it's been a while since I've touched on the topic, I thought I'd do a little post with my updated thoughts on it.
What I've learned over the past year, is that women need to stop worrying about all of this. Really, stop. Stop right now. Now, this isn't to say that I disagree with the notion that breast is sometimes best. Sure, if the mother is getting adequate nutrition, has a good supply, doesn't have too many hurdles, is getting enough sleep to take care of her self and her kids, then great! Breastfeed. In that situation, it's best. However, if the breastfeeding failing cards are stacked up against you, you're depressed, the baby isn't getting enough milk, or the task is too daunting, it's OK to turn to formula. I was explaining this to a friend who recently had a baby girl and is having a really, really hard time nursing. For medical reasons, she can only nurse out of one side. Her baby isn't latching, she's in constant pain, she's getting infections, and her baby isn't gaining weight. She emailed me because she knew I had 'failed' and wanted some support. We've been exchanging emails for back and forth for a little while and I can't tell you how much happier she is now that she's "given up" breastfeeding.
According to many, there's a lot of pressure to get women to give up nursing and turn to formula. Apparently there are doctors and nurses out there who are constantly encouraging women to give bottles (although, I've never met a single one of them and I saw 3 different OBs, dozens of nurses in the NICU and have taken the girls to 3 pediatricians and every single one has encouraged breastfeeding.) and I don't think that's cool. Breastfeeding is cheaper, apparently convenient (although I'm personally not comfortable breastfeeding in public so even with my next babies, bottles will be given) and good for both mother and baby. But seriously, if you choose not to breastfeed or can't for whatever reason, there is no reason to feel guilty. Because you know what? My girls have only been to the doctor twice (once for Lillian and once for Sophie) for being legitimately sick. I say legitimately because I've taken them in when there was really nothing besides teething wrong with them, but as far as actually being sick, it's only happened once for each girl over the past 15 months (now almost 16). That's not too shabby if you ask me. The girls have a great bond with their dad, haven't had as much stranger anxiety as a lot of kids and really are healthy, intelligent toddlers. I think of all the worrying I did last October and November and I want to go back and slap myself in the face. I drug out the agony waaaaaaay too long and shed waaaaaay too many tears on something that quite frankly didn't matter. It honestly didn't matter what source their food came from. What mattered is that they had food and had parents who loved them. The only think I think would be different about them if they would have been breastfed is that maybe they would have been able to fall asleep in my arms. But that's it.
So basically, the point of this is to say that although breastfeeding has benefits and I do believe that women should give it a try if that's their choice, I don't believe for a second that we should think any less of ourselves if we can't do it. It made me sad watching my friend go through the guilt that I felt last year, but I'm glad that she's letting that go. Because in about a year, her little girl will probably be just as healthy and as happy as mine are.
This post may seem random and bold, but the thought to revisit the topic was sparked by my friend contacting me, seeing a debate on facebook and then it was solidified when I came across this lovely piece of writing. DON'T read it if you are/have/are going to give your child formula. It will probably make you want to punch someone in the face like it did for me (which is saying something because I'm as non violent as you can get). Seriously, the exaggerated "uber boober" propaganda out there makes me cringe.
And while I'm in no way saying that formula feeding is superior to
breastfeeding, I just wish we, as women, would cut each other some slack. I
really don't think mothers who can't breastfeed or choose to formula feed
owe anyone an explanation. All of the pressure, all of the stigma, and
all of the expectations put an added measure of guilt on moms who
genuinely want to nurse. And for some reason (at least from what I've personally experienced), it's OK for breastfeeding
moms to be bold about their opinions, but as soon as a formula mom
speaks up, they're looked down on for their lack of ability/choice. I've
felt it numerous times over the past year and I'm a little sick of it.
So yes, I'm being bold. Yes, I'm saying that it's OK to choose formula
and it's OK to not feel guilty over it. Because feeling guilty won't
boost your supply, it won't make the mastitis go away, and it won't make
your baby latch properly.
Maybe I'll get flak for this, but that's OK. It's probably the hottest topic among moms. In fact, I think my first breastfeeding post got more comments that any other post (well, maybe not the announcement of our girls' arrival).You can refute my formula feeding ways all you want, but I think it's impossible to refute the fact that formula has done these two adorable babies just fine.
And really, these guys are all that I care about.
I agree that no matter what your opinion, people should LEAVE IT ALONE. I pumped for 11 months and supplemented with formula and STILL sometimes felt like a failure--which is SO DUMB. I think if you give your baby formula, it has nothing to do with "failing" and everything to do with doing what works for you. There is nothing wrong with formula and it won't hurt your baby. Breastfeeding is awesome and super great too. It's just SO no one else's business!!! I'm glad you posted about this, because sometimes it really gets my goat. (The same could be said for natural/epidural/c-section birthing, co-sleeping, and every other variation out there.)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to try and say this really tactfully and please don't hate me. I totally agree that individual mothers are doing a disservice to them and their children by feeling guilty and agonizing. But, I also agree that our culture, society, big bad formula companies ARE hindrances to breastfeeding, and even for mothers who really want to breastfeed they frequently do turn to formula or end breastfeeding due to these factors, and then say "it's my choice" but was it really? I don't know if that's the case for you, because you say you were supported by everyone around you, but A LOT of women are not. I hear at my job every day moms who were guilted/forced/pressured into giving formula for lowbloodsugar/jaundice/"no milk" in the hospital and most of the time these issues can be solved with a little breastfeeding support or are even totally bogus. And even giving formula a few times in the hospital can sabotage a breastfeeding relationship permanently. So, yeah, formula can be good in some cases, and if you are supported and do the best you can, that's one thing, but we as a medical system and society need to work on the supportive part.
ReplyDeleteI'm finishing up my lactation consultant certification right now, and she always says "you do the best you can with the information you have at the time"... there is no use looking back. In response to how breastfeeding mothers won't understand the feeling: I would do tons different with Atticus if I could go back and I too sometimes agonize over the guilty feelings, and Tim has to remind me over and over again that it's no use. So, don't think just because we successfully breastfed (and are still breastfeeding...) doesn't mean we don't have those same feelings of inadequacy as mothers :)
I've had one breastfeeding success and one formula success. I love both of my kids the same.
ReplyDeleteBreast was NOT best for my daughter. I doubt something that makes a child vomit, cry for hours on end and unable to sleep is "best" for them. I don't need some scientist or lactivist to tell me what's best for my baby. I know because I am her MOTHER.
My son took to breastfeeding well so he got the boob for almost 12 months until he weaned himself. I was not heartbroken at all. It's just a feeding method to me.
I wish we could all just support one another instead of judging.
I LOVE this. It's always rubbed me the wrong way when I hear people state that mothers who do not breastfeed are doing a disservice to their children.
ReplyDeleteMy mother chose to not breastfeed with any of us, and I think me and my siblings turned out just fine. I have always had such a close relationship with my mom AND my immune system rocks. I think there are way too many outside factors that impact a child which outweigh whether a mother breastfeeds or uses formula. I personally think both are just fine and women shouldn't think they are failures if they can't or don't want to breastfeed.
Thanks for the post, Brit!
I completely agree with you about women just leaving it alone. I remember dealing with my 7 month old weaning herself. I don't blame her! I had to pump enough milk to be able to go to class the first 6 months of her life! I am SO mad at myself for not giving her formula to help ME and to help her. It would have given me a break, and kept up my milk supply, and it would have given her the adequate amount of nutrition when I wasn't producing anything. It is frustrating when we aren't doing it the "natural" way and then when we finally break down and give formula, we are given a bunch of crap about it. But honestly, with my first, I was in school AND had an internship and I attribute that to why she ultimately weaned, and so with my next babies, I have nothing going on and I can nurse whenever I want!! Hooray! (hopefully it goes that way for me!)
ReplyDeleteI will never EVER understand why women judge each other so harshly. Why we think we know what's best for other people's kids and in other people's situations is beyond me. I nursed both my kids. My son had a crappy latch the entire 12 months--it was a year of hell, but for some reason I kept at it and refused to let myself "fail" at feeding my kid. Plus my mother--who fed me formula and then became a crazy lactivist for my other 8 siblings--was an expert at guilt. And I let that get to me. The result: a year of misery and resenting my kid. My daughter (a month younger than your kids) took to nursing pretty much right away and nursed all the time. I thought for sure we'd make it a whole year and then some. But, she decided at 10 months that she was done. So formula it was. Without guilt...kids have to eat, you know? I fed her that formula proudly, and dared anyone to say anything to me about it! Parenting isn't all about the parents and it's not all about the kids--it's about working together to figure out what works for everyone. For some, that's unmedicated homebirth, co-sleeping, and extended breastfeeding; for others it's planned c-sections, sleep training, and formula. No one way is superior and people need to step off!
ReplyDelete(whew this was long!)
Not that my opinion matters, but women who think breastfeeding is essential to bonding are really out of touch with reality. Your baby will have adequate nutrition with formula and keeping an infant away from sick people is far more critical than the antibodies in breast milk. It's ridiculous to feel guilty although most women who formula feed are looked at as selfish. My own mother breastfed most of her 12 kids (didn't seem to make any difference for those who were/weren't breastfed)....I chose not to. I didn't want to gain as much weight as my mother had to in order to keep up her supply and I didn't want to be tied to my house all day (I'm not the type to whip it out in public). I feel like I'm as bonded to my daughter as I can possibly be. Who cares what a mom chooses to do. Breastfeeding has some benefits that formula doesn't but just keep your baby away from germs and they will be fine. Mothers, in general, tend to be dramatic. They act like anything but the ideal will doom a child to a terrible future. I had a great experience with formula, I didn't want to nurse with my in-laws staying at our house, and gave it up without a thought. My daughter has never been seriously sick (she's over a year), she's smart and happy and healthy. When I felt a little guilty because I didn't breastfeed, I called my Dad (an OB) and asked him if my daughter would be less intelligent because of my decision. His reply was "I wasn't breastfed, do you think I'm unintelligent?". Well, he has a medical degree, a law degree, and is a lot smarter than most people will ever hope to be. That's his gift in life. So I figured if formula was good enough for him, I shouldn't worry. Breastfeeding is great, but I think formula is equally great in some ways. Women need to calm down and realize that breastfeeding a child is private business. I think you gave it a try (more than a try) and you children are better off with you being happy than they ever would be with breast milk if you were going crazy. Don't feel guilty for a second. Even if you simply don't want to nurse, a baby will be fine. There are mothers who will look down on you, who cares. Do what you need to do and make your own family happy. There are bigger things in life than milk vs formula.
ReplyDeleteI read the blog you linked to (the "lovely piece of writing"). First it made me a little annoyed, then I started laughing. I guess the 5.5 months of exclusive formula Ellie got is going to land me straight in hell. Oh well:) I'm gearing up for nursing baby #2 (that is not even on the way yet) but if it's as hard as last time, I'm all about the Costco formula again!
ReplyDeleteI formula fed my first, breastfed then formula fed my second, then breastfed and pumped (until 15 months) with my 3rd. Im not against formula at all, Im actually glad its available for when its needed. Personally I was very gung ho about nursing my 3rd baby and the nurses at the hospital were demanding I give formula to supplement on the first DAY after she was born (sabotage much?). I blame myself for not being able to get her latched properly but at 7 weeks old I went to strictly pumping. It was HARD and sometimes I wish that I just used formula but breastmilk was important to me so I kept going. Pumping wont work for everyone but there its just an alternative to nursing or formula. To each his own with it really. Doesnt matter how a child gets fed just as long as he/she gets fed!
ReplyDeleteWe all just need to support one another and understand that each of us is doing the very best we can with what we have. No need to be adversarial about any of these choices, because arguing does no good. Motherhood is a marathon anyway...who cares if one or two of the miles doesn't look like the next mom over? We're all just trying to survive, (and keep our kids alive) right?
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post! I remember feeling the pressure to breastfeed when my twin boys were just born. My one son never could latch...and not saying we didn't try. I practically had the lactation consultants in my hospital room the whole time I was there! I started to pump and was so overwhelmed...it took almost an hour to pump, feed, and burp (and I was still supplementing). That was fine when I had my husband home with me but then he had to go back to work and I was ALONE and didn't have time to pump and care for two little ones. It was then that my Mom gave me the okay to FF. Seriously, it was the best choice that I did for myself and my boys. I am pretty sure that they would rather have a HAPPY mom than breastmilk :) My boys are almost a year old and we have only had one illness (an ear infection)...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post...your neighbor :)
Lauren
I was all about breastfeeding BEFORE I had Sage. Then reality hit me and I realized how hard it was to feed for 1-1 1/2 hours, get an hour of sleep, then go right back to it. Plus shower yourself, eat, get ready for the day..I found out it was too much for me to handle. I was getting migraines daily and could hardly function, let alone take care of a baby. We were flat broke but after 6 weeks of nursing my body couldn't take it anymore.
ReplyDeleteI quit, felt that awful guilt, and then took a headache pill..my first in 11 long headache filled months. And I never looked back.
All those judgmental mothers need to go fly a kite and realize we're doing what's best for OUR babies, not theirs. Great post Brittany!
I always tell people, it's breast is best, but that doesn't mean you're hurting your child by not breastfeeding. I didn't even have mastitis or anything and I was in constant - constant pain for three months. I'm glad I tried (and I'll try again) but I'm a happy mom of a sweet, healthy (huge) boy.
ReplyDelete