I can't figure out what to do with these babies and our stairs. They
do great going up them, but for the life of me, I can't get them to go
down normally. I've been told that you have to 'show' babies how to turn
themselves around and how to go down on their belly. Well, I've done
that every day for the 2 months and it still hasn't clicked with them.
They'd much rather sit on their bum, and scoot until they PLOP to the
next step. Now, I'm normally not a
'you-must-do-it-this-way-because-no-other-way-will-do' kind of gal, but
when they go down the stairs their way, I'd say 40% of the time they
face plant it and tumble down the stairs.
To stop them
from having free range to the suicidal stairs, I usually put the baby
gate in between the wall and the railing (banister? whatever that thing
is called...) the first 5 or so steps don't have a solid wall for the
baby gate grab onto, so I just block the whole entryway off (is this
making sense?). About a week ago, I decided to put the baby gate where
the wall starts, so the girls could have a few steps to practice on. I
still try to 'teach' them to go on their belly, but they're getting
better at the scoot and plop method they've come up with. Now, they only
tumble down the stair maybe 20% of the time and when they fall, they're
usually only falling 2-3 steps. That's progress, right?
Here
you can see the baby gate blocking off the entire entryway. Yes, it's
suuuper blurry, but you get the idea. And don't mind Sophie. It's just
another dramatic meltdown. :)
Lillian doing the scoot...
and getting ready to plop!
Maybe they'll get the hang of it someday. Maybe...
In
other news, Sophie is a walking machine! She went from only walking a
few steps at a time (and only if it was walking to us) to letting go of
furniture on her own and walking across the entire room. She now walks
all over the place. And if you're wondering about Lillian, she has little interest in walking because she can still out crawl Sophie. ;)



Congratulations on your walking Sophie!! :)
ReplyDeleteAs for stairs, I don't "believe" in teaching babies to go downstairs. My dad was insistent I do that but I don't think it prevents anything bad from happening. We didn't have stairs with Audrey until she was nearly 2 1/2. By then she could easily walk up and down unassisted. Before that, we always helped her around others' stairs.
With Carson, we have had stairs his entire life. We have kept baby gates up at both ends since he could crawl. I let him crawl up on his own all the time (while I walk behind him), but as for going down, I carry him every time. When he is bigger and can walk better, he'll learn to walk or climb down on his own. That time will come soon enough.
Just my 2 cents! Don't feel pressured to have your babies crawling down the stairs. They'll figure it out on their own.
OH my goodness your babies are gorgeous. I just happened here and had to tell you.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow, they are so big and cute and is it crazy that I'm totally excited for when my boys start to walk and crawl up and down stairs?
ReplyDeleteYeah yeah, I hear it's more work, but I can't wait!