7.16.2011

Obligatory HP post

Harry Potter is over. It's really, really over. I can't claim to be a Harry Potter fanatic, like my little sister is, but I do consider myself to be a pretty big fan. I've only re-read some of the books and only re-watched some of the movies, but I grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione. I remember jumping on my friend's trampoline in 5th grade and hearing her and her sister talk about this magical book they were reading. I wasn't too impressed with their description. I was more of a Boxcar Children/Nancy Drew type of reader. Mystical fantasy wasn't my thing. The next year, in 6th grade, our teacher read Harry Potter to us after afternoon recess. I instantly fell in love. This was before the average Jo spent hours on the internet, so nobody thought to look up how to pronounce "Hermione". I'm pretty sure my teacher chose to pronounce it as "Hermy-own" and had a hard time switching it once he heard Rowling say the name on a television interview.

Since then, I've fallen more and more in love with Hogwarts, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Hagrid, Sirius, Mrs. Weasley, Fred, George, and the rest of the crew. Because of this, I jumped for joy when my best friend score tickets to an advance showing at 7pm on Thursday night.


It was AMAZING. Even though I didn't want to admit it the night of, I cried quite a bit. Maybe it's because my emotions are constantly on a tightrope since becoming a mother, or the fact that Fred dies, leaving his twin without his best friend/partner in crime (seriously, I lost it at that point)  but I was really emotionally involved with this movie. I fist pumped when Bellatrix died, I laughed when Voldemort cockily claimed that Harry was dead, I teared up when Lupin, Sirius and Harry's parents sent him off and again teared up when Harry gave Albus Severus off to Hogwarts. Yes, I know it didn't play out exactly like the book, but it was close enough and equally amazing. And now its all over. No more anticipation for the next book. No more anticipation for the next movie. It's finished. I was the same age as Harry when I started reading the books, so I really did grow up with the story. And now its over. I look forward to sharing the magic of Harry Potter with my own kids. Hopefully, they love it as much as I have.

Me and my little sister, Kelsey, waiting in line for the midnight showing of the 5th movie. At least we thought we were waiting in line. The ticket taker sent us to the wrong spot and instead of being first and second in line, we were more like 20th and 21st. 

I really do <3 Harry.

p.s. I have another cloth diaper post ready to go. This one debunks some of the 'myths' I've heard about it. Sorry I keep talking about diapers, but this is my blog and you can't stop me. :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sad it's over. I was also in 5th/6th grade when I started reading Harry Potter. There isn't another series like it and I doubt there ever will be.

    You know what really makes me sad? When people (like my mother-in-law) won't read the book because they "don't want the book to ruin the movies." Um, HELLO! There is so much stupidity in that mentality that I can't even begin to dissect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. I feel exactly the same way! I feel like I've grown up with them because when the books came out I was always basically the same age as Harry. If it makes you feel better I also cried for a pretty good chunk of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad we cried in all the same parts.
    I'm glad we both found that Voldy's laugh was hilarious!
    I'm glad you're my sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried pretty much non-stop starting when the statues came to life and Mcgonagall says "The school has been threatened"
    Seriously.
    WAY too much crying.
    And, sadly, I could definitely consider myself an obsessive fan.
    Let's talk about how I've reread all the books over a dozen times. Or let's not.
    And I pronounced Hermione's name Her-mowyn. Like Des Moines, Iowa for YEARS.

    ReplyDelete