7.05.2011

Sippy Cups

There is a part of motherhood that I've admittedly failed at. Bottles and sippy cups. I say I've failed because at just a few days shy of 11 months, the girls still, I repeat, still drink out of newborn 'nipple flow' bottles probably half of the time. Bottles come in stages and although half of our bottles are the faster flow, they still happily chug down on bottles meant for 6 lb babies. I didn't realize what an issue this would turn into until I tried to introduce the sippy cup. At first, we got ones that are similar to Camel Back water bottles. You have to bit on it in order to get any liquid out. The girls had no idea what to do with it. I was convinced that if I continued to push the cups, they'd get the hang of it. Well, several months went by and nothing changed. I've tried water, juice, and formula. I've given it during play time, before nap time and when they're hungry. No go. They didn't like them. I then bought some with a straw to see if they'd take to those ones aaaaand that was even more of a joke. A few days before we moved, I bought some cheapo ones that had bigger holes, hoping those would work. The girls still don't drink from them, but at least they've found entertainment...

IMG_2258

IMG_2263

IMG_2266

She got soaked and she loved it. And yes, I still put them in their bouncy seats {which emphatically say to stop using as soon as your baby can sit up} when they eat. 

Please don't remind me that they turn a year old next month. I going to have a mental breakdown.

4 comments:

  1. If you try the NUK sippy cups (found at walmart & target) they have a spout that is similar to a nipple. My girls love them and wont use anything else. Thay come in a silicone nipple ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nuk-Trendline-Learner-Cup-5-Oz-1ct/16935817 or Latex Nipple ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nuk-Learner-Latex-Cup-5-oz/16780035 ) theyre great!! And fit onto any NUK bottle, so we bought a 3 pack of bottles and 4 sippy.....they use them all day except naptime!!! Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm the same way. I'm too lazy and cheap to switch the bottle nipples as they grow. Ellie's still using the newborn nipples. She had a bit of a hard time with sippy cups at first, but she's a pro now. I think it just takes practice. They'll get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can buy the ones with the valves in them, but just take the valves out until they get used to the water coming out of it. They'll learn pretty quickly that the control the flow of the liquid they have to suck. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just randomly came across you blog...from a friend of a friend also with twins...but i wanted to say you should try sippy cups with straws. I have a 10 month old also, and the only way i can get him to drink water is with a sippy with a straw. My two year old was the same way!

    ReplyDelete