If you've got a child under two, I'm sure you've thought about switching your kids to a forward facing car seat. The plan for us (like most) was to make the switch at a year old. But, after learning about the AAP's new (or not so new) recommendations, a little deliberation between the husband and myself, and watching a few youtube videos, we decided that we're going to be keeping the girls rear facing until they're at least two.
Not the greatest picture, but this is the best one I have with them in their seats. Sophie's on the verge of sleep and Lillian's chuggin' down on a sippy cup that they will actually drink from!
Like most of my parenting decisions, I did a lot of research here. Actually, choosing a car seat was really, really stressful for me and I spent months trying to figure it all out. We finally went with these seats and plan on getting these when the girls hit 40 lbs.
Carseats (like everything else relating to children) can be a hot topic for people. I debated it for months, but I kept coming back to the fact that I knew keeping them backwards was safer and since I knew that, I wasn't sure I could forgive myself if I switched them and something bad happened. Right before we purchased the new seats, I found this youtube video and it helped solidify my decision.
That did it for me and we got the new seats just a few days later.
Here's another good one that addresses some of the arguments for forward facing.
Here's another good one that addresses some of the arguments for forward facing.
Oh! And on a completely unrelated note, we got a diaper sprayer last night! We went to Lowes, got the supplies for a little under $30 and Josh had it put together in minutes. It beats paying $50ish for one and then having to wait for it to get shipped to you! I haven't had a need to use it yet, which is annoying, but the poop will come when it comes. I just really want to see how good it works!
Hope everyone has a fantastic Friday!
Wow. Thanks for sharing that. I'm definitely going to go rear facing. Heck, maybe I'll put my two year old back to rear facing.
ReplyDeleteCarson is still rear-facing. I'm not passionate about it, but I believe in the AAP's recommendations -- ALL of them -- and I try diligently to incorporate them into my parenting. These are professional doctors who make pediatrics and child safety their lives. They know their stuff.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, if others decide to switch their babies to forward-facing before two, that is their choice. But I'll keep my baby facing backward and properly restrained for as long as I can.
Great Post! Very informative. Thanks, I think I'll switch my one and a half year old back... =)
ReplyDeletewe have decided the same. and so glad the sippy cups work!!! they are the only ones my girls will drink from as well :)
ReplyDeletejust an FYI while their rear facing their straps are supposed to be at or BELOW their shoulders. I know pics can be deceiving but it looks like the straps are above their shoulders
ReplyDeleteWe are in the same boat with our girls. It's always good to hear others with similar ideas. Thanks for the info.
ReplyDeletewe made it to 18 months. Here in Florida, the heat is so intense and we have a sudan car and so the AC was not circulating in the back. It was awful. Good post though. It is always a reminder that even though having them forward is easier and more fun for them, safety first! I didn't watch those videos, I'll admit. I'm a wimp and I would have cried the whole time.
ReplyDeleteGood girl! I can't tell you how many people I have told the recommendations have changed to age 2 and they just seem not to care and switch their kid around at 1. So good work! We had to switch Bailey forward facing a little before her 2nd birthday but we did it as long as we could. She is super tall for her age so her legs were getting squished. But do it as long as you can women. You rock!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you, Brittany! Our boys will be rear-facing as long as possible, too.
ReplyDeletePS: Straps below their shoulders? Huh? Does Anon mean chest clip..? The girls look fine to me!
I researched convertible car seats a lot! We just got a convertible seat for my 11 month old. I'm all for everyone's own choice, but as for me I believe in rear facing. FYI anon is right. Straps should be at or below shoulders for rear facing (it's above shoulders for forward facing harness), and chest clip should be at armpit level. Love your blog!
ReplyDeleteRe: the straps...
ReplyDeleteThey should be at or below the shoulders when the baby is RF and at or above the shoulders when the kid is FF.
Chest clip should be armpit level either way.
And that concludes this episode of Char was once signed up for a CSPT class but couldn't find anyone to watch her kids.
;)