When Josh got home from work yesterday, I handed him both babies and started a bubble bath. It was a bit of a crazy day and I needed a break. As I soaked and listened to the amazing tunes of Tegan and Sara I thought about the beautiful blogs that make up my 'blogging world'. Since becoming a mother, I like to read about mothers that inspire me. Like this family who I've been shamelessly stalking for over a year. Or these guys. Then there's this family. And this one this one and this one. This mom and her remarkable story. And not to mention my rockstar aunt.
And those are just a few of them.
Sometimes I look at myself and my ability to be a mother and I get discouraged. I wish I could be that creative, that loving, that organized, that on top of it all. However, a few days ago my friend sent me this video. I had seen it floating around before I had the babies and didn't give it much thought. I watched it and I was changed.
As I reflected on all this during my long awaited bubble bath last night, I had a 'ah-ha' moment that made it finally all click.
I started dancing when I was 3 years old. I took classes from BYU for an hour a week since I can remember. It was my identity growing up. When I went to high school, I quickly realized that although I had been dancing since I could walk, I wasn't up to same standard as my peers. Some had only been dancing for a year or two, but they went to expensive studios for hours and hours a day. I was very humbled and realized I hardly knew the world of dance. I watched those girls in a borderline creepy way. I studied every angle, every movement, every facial expression. I made the school's dance company as a sophomore and was forced to meet even a fraction of the level that these girls were on. I pushed myself. Hard. Over the next three years, I learned more about dance than I had at my entire 13 years at BYU. I had a higher standard to meet and I did my best to achieve it. Now, I was still no way on the same level as some of the girls I danced with. They were winning awards in New York and getting acceptance letters from prestigious dance companies.
But, we all made Timpview High School's Dance Company.
We were all on the same team.
That's how I feel about motherhood. I may not be as creative, patient, funny, or insightful as others, but I'm trying. And I'm ok with that. I read about amazing women all the time and it gives me a new standard to aim for. I don't compare myself to them, I don't envy them. I understand that I have qualities that they lack. I guess I'm simply grateful for peers that make me push myself. I'm not a very self motivated person and need someone to look up to. I've got my collection of blogging moms who provide that for me.
I am grateful because it makes me want to be a better mom to my beautiful girls.
<>
<>{Isn't this hilarious? I had to do it.}
And I really don't want comments praising me for being a good mom. That's not what this is about at all. It's simply another Ah-ha moment that I recently had about the course my life has and is taking.
And I couldn't be happier about it.
{and this obviously isn't one of the posts I was working on. I'll get to those soon. However, Brian David Mitchell was just found guilty and I shall be blogging about my thoughts on that next.}
Sometimes I look at myself and my ability to be a mother and I get discouraged. I wish I could be that creative, that loving, that organized, that on top of it all. However, a few days ago my friend sent me this video. I had seen it floating around before I had the babies and didn't give it much thought. I watched it and I was changed.
As I reflected on all this during my long awaited bubble bath last night, I had a 'ah-ha' moment that made it finally all click.
I started dancing when I was 3 years old. I took classes from BYU for an hour a week since I can remember. It was my identity growing up. When I went to high school, I quickly realized that although I had been dancing since I could walk, I wasn't up to same standard as my peers. Some had only been dancing for a year or two, but they went to expensive studios for hours and hours a day. I was very humbled and realized I hardly knew the world of dance. I watched those girls in a borderline creepy way. I studied every angle, every movement, every facial expression. I made the school's dance company as a sophomore and was forced to meet even a fraction of the level that these girls were on. I pushed myself. Hard. Over the next three years, I learned more about dance than I had at my entire 13 years at BYU. I had a higher standard to meet and I did my best to achieve it. Now, I was still no way on the same level as some of the girls I danced with. They were winning awards in New York and getting acceptance letters from prestigious dance companies.
But, we all made Timpview High School's Dance Company.
We were all on the same team.
That's how I feel about motherhood. I may not be as creative, patient, funny, or insightful as others, but I'm trying. And I'm ok with that. I read about amazing women all the time and it gives me a new standard to aim for. I don't compare myself to them, I don't envy them. I understand that I have qualities that they lack. I guess I'm simply grateful for peers that make me push myself. I'm not a very self motivated person and need someone to look up to. I've got my collection of blogging moms who provide that for me.
I am grateful because it makes me want to be a better mom to my beautiful girls.
<>
And I really don't want comments praising me for being a good mom. That's not what this is about at all. It's simply another Ah-ha moment that I recently had about the course my life has and is taking.
And I couldn't be happier about it.
{and this obviously isn't one of the posts I was working on. I'll get to those soon. However, Brian David Mitchell was just found guilty and I shall be blogging about my thoughts on that next.}
Brittany, that picture of Sophie and Lillian in the stocking is adorable! Thanks for your thoughts too. I'm glad that you are feeling good about your efforts as a mom, because I'm sure they are many, and, just like everything else in life, you've got to figure out what works for you and not compare yourself too much to others. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are the rockstar! I wish I'd learned this lesson as early in my mommyhood as you have. It's a tough thing to grasp in Utah for some reason. There's some kind of unwritten competition or something. You are just fabulous, and I just love you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reminding me of the greatest work of all. You made me cry tears of gratitude. Love you.
ReplyDeleteYour blog kept showing up on my site meter thing and I'm so glad I checked it out! This video is perfect, just what every mom needs to hear. Also, your babies are adorable, I honestly do NOT know how you handle twins, definitely proves what an amazing Mom you are!
ReplyDeleteLove the picture sooo much! Cutest girls! Thanks for sharing that video. I really needed to hear it. I've been a little stressed with Ry Ry and adding another little one to our family! But it helps to keep the eternal perspective of things. It's all worth it, even when it's hard. Motherhood is the biggest sacrafice and the most rewarding at the same time! God blesses us as mothers to do his work. He strengthens us. I do believe that. I pray every day that because we're bringing another little one into our family that I will be able to to emotionally take care of our family! I need to trust and have faith that things will work out! Thanks for sharing! Love you!!!!
ReplyDeleteJenny- the coolest sis-in-law ;)
Wow, what a great video! Makes me want to be a mom :)
ReplyDeleteI like your attitude about it all - I think that's the healthiest viewpoint we can have; learning to not compare ourselves to others, but to ourselves, and continually trying to improve. Or looking at other peoples' skills & talents as inspiration to try something new and think outside the box.
Lovely post :)