Elizabeth Smart's story has been one of interest to people all over the world. A 14 year old girl kidnapped at knife point in the middle of the night from her quiet, affluent Salt Lake neighborhood. The story hit me hard. I am the same age as Elizabeth Smart and grew up just 40 minutes south of her. My best friend and I talked about her all the time. We used to go on bike rides the spring/summer she was missing and we'd pass by dozens and dozens of missing person fliers. I always had my eye open to spot her. I felt it was the least I could do. She was my same age. I couldn't stop thinking about how it could have been me. I followed the crowd's collective opinion and thought we would find a body instead of a living person. However, Fro never lost hope.
I remember the day she was found very vividly. Fro, Jessie and I had just gotten off the bus and were headed home from school. My little sister was on our porch and yelled, "They found Elizabeth Smart!!!" We took off running and had to catch the news. I was shocked. How could she still be alive? Who had taken her? Where had she been this entire time? What had happened to her?
I didn't learn the horrific answers to those questions until a few weeks ago. I read the book her parents wrote about their perspective of the situation, but it wasn't until the trial that anyone had really heard it from Elizabeth herself. I've been following the news very closely since day 1 of the trial. I've read the transcripts and had the tv on ALL day when the verdict came out. Fro is a producer for KUTV and was feet away from the Smart family when they made their statement. She helped interview juror members and was even in the media room during the actual trial.
Because of all this, I'll admit that I got teary-eyed when she made her statement after the verdict. She was graceful, empowering, strong, and the definition of class. She is truly a hero of mine and I am so glad justice was finally served for her.
Elizabeth Smart has no idea who I am. However, I've always felt a connection to her. I thought about her every day for the 9 months she was missing. I have thought about how I think I would have handled the situation. I've thought about the strength she has that I lack. I have thought about how she has found the will to move on and I have thought about her huge amount of faith.
You can watch her reaction to the verdict here.
I remember the day she was found very vividly. Fro, Jessie and I had just gotten off the bus and were headed home from school. My little sister was on our porch and yelled, "They found Elizabeth Smart!!!" We took off running and had to catch the news. I was shocked. How could she still be alive? Who had taken her? Where had she been this entire time? What had happened to her?
I didn't learn the horrific answers to those questions until a few weeks ago. I read the book her parents wrote about their perspective of the situation, but it wasn't until the trial that anyone had really heard it from Elizabeth herself. I've been following the news very closely since day 1 of the trial. I've read the transcripts and had the tv on ALL day when the verdict came out. Fro is a producer for KUTV and was feet away from the Smart family when they made their statement. She helped interview juror members and was even in the media room during the actual trial.
Because of all this, I'll admit that I got teary-eyed when she made her statement after the verdict. She was graceful, empowering, strong, and the definition of class. She is truly a hero of mine and I am so glad justice was finally served for her.
Elizabeth Smart has no idea who I am. However, I've always felt a connection to her. I thought about her every day for the 9 months she was missing. I have thought about how I think I would have handled the situation. I've thought about the strength she has that I lack. I have thought about how she has found the will to move on and I have thought about her huge amount of faith.
You can watch her reaction to the verdict here.
cute header!! i agree..she's a strong girl!! gives me the chills.
ReplyDeleteI am so so happy about that verdict. I hadn't seen her reaction yet, thanks for posting a link.
ReplyDeleteI just blogged about this. It'll be posting to my blog on December 20th. My take on it is a little different and I genuinely hope it doesn't make people mad... Yikes. I'm a little scared to post it. However, I completely agree with the verdict. Brian David Mitchell is a creep.
ReplyDeleteYou're friends with Katie Chrystler? I worked with her at the BYU Daily News. Same program.
ReplyDelete