First off, thanks for all of the suggestions I got! After I posted yesterday's post, I cleared out our second bedroom, put the twin mattresses back onto the beds and stuck the crib mattresses on the floor. Lillian was quite miserable yesterday and I didn't want Sophie to keep her from napping, so I decided to split them up. Sophie went on the crib mattress and Lillian slept in her big girl bed. They were out almost instantly! And not only that, but they slept 2 1/2 hours. The best they've napped in probably 4 or 5 months.
It was a miracle, I tell ya. Between their naps and bed time, we had a hard time with Lillian. Her stomach was not feeling super great (Hailey and Lacy, I originally had "super fly" typed out...probably should have kept it...) and several very, very, very horrifyingly messy diapers, she was back to her old self.
Once bed time rolled around, we did our usual routine. Except I tried to stick Sophie back on the crib mattress and Lillian back in her bed.
The girls would have none of that. They both instantly burst into tears, begging for their sister. I told them it was time to go to sleep and they'd see their sister in the morning, but they didn't stop. They both got out of bed and started kicking their doors.
I didn't know what to do. Josh worked a grave shift last night, so I was on my own. I knew there was no way I could tackle both of them in two different rooms, so I instantly gave up. I led Lillian into the room with Sophie and they jumped around and played {in the empty room} for about 40 minutes before they crashed.
So it sort of worked? Oh and did I mention that they can reach the light switch so it's constantly going on? I instagrammed a picture of my temporary solution a few weeks back, but it's sort of turned into a permanent solution.
I know I need to come up with something better (like actually teaching them to not turn it off??) but how? Every time I've tried it's turned into a game (just like putting them back in bed has) So for now, tape it is. Ghetto, right? It matches the door knob free closet quite well. :(
Oh man, I feel like I'm having a "mommy confession" session of sorts with these last few posts.
They've just been so, so tired lately!!
Hopefully having both rooms available and essentially empty fixes the problem.



Being a parent is one of the hardest things I've ever done. The unknowns and constant guessing stresses me out like nothing ever has. I think you are doing a phenomenal job with your girls and hopefully, we as parents, figure things out quickly! Until then, just keep doing what you are doing. Things will eventually turn out fine (please tell me it turns out! Ha!).
ReplyDeleteWe have 2 boys very close in age and do the exact same thing with turning the light on at night. Instead of taping the light switch we unscrewed their light bulbs. We tell them when they play like that they have lost their "light" privileges. Haha, they definitely can't turn the lights on after that! Just another little tip for you. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteHang in there! We went through the same thing with our almost 3 year old twins. They always slept through the night when they were in their cribs, but once we moved to big beds, that stopped. We ended up moving them to separate rooms for good. We let them help pick out their own bedding so it felt like their own. The first month was hell. We had to sit out in the hallway between the 2 rooms every night until they fell asleep. But eventually I told them I had to clean up the kitchen and then I would come back and lay in the hallway. They were usually sleeping in no time. One of them still wakes up almost every night, but it has gotten better. Good luck and I hope you find something that works!
ReplyDelete