Last night, a few awesome circumstances lead me to this song. Now, I consider myself a decently big Bon Iver fan. I've seen him in concert and had this song as my ringtone for over a year. However, for some reason (warning: it's about to get real sappy up in
here) this cover really spoke to me. It's absolutely beautiful.
Wanna know what I did? I moved our kitchen table and choreographed a little dance to part of it and then I played it over and over again and danced until I could barely breathe. It was honestly the best thing I've done for me in...years? I started dancing at age 3 and although I've never been SYTYCD good, I've held my own on dance companies and choreographed a dance that got an award (is it pathetic that I can't remember what award?) at UVSC when I was in high school.
Some people love running, others love sewing. I love dancing. I debated if I should try to find some dance class or something I could do, but I don't have a clue where I would fit. I can still stick a triple pirouette (well, sometimes), yet I can hardly touch my toes anymore. And I don't like the flashy, jazz hands dancing. I'm more of a therapeutic Mia Michaels kind of gal.
And then I found this video. She has her dancers recall a time when they would shut themselves in their room, turn on music and just go. I did that aaaaaallll the time growing up and I will continue to do it. Except I'll be in my kitchen and it will be when the husband is at work and after the kids are asleep. Free from judgement, ya know? ;)
Really though, I was in tears after watching this. Even if you're not a dancer by any stretch of the imagination, it's still pretty amazing.
I just love dancing and miss it constantly. I hate that it's something you just kind of stop doing, you know? If you love cooking, you can always cook. If you love photography, there are always pictures to be taken. If you love reading, the world is full of books. But dance? It's a little harder to just 'do'. That is, unless I can convince Josh to turn our basement into a dance studio...I wish! ;)
For now, I'm grateful I have enough space in my kitchen to do {most} of what I'd like to do with my talents.
I miss dance so much! We recently moved to a small town that doesn't have any dance studios (seriously, how does this happen?!) And I've been a hot, cranky mess without dance. I can't wait until my daughters discover how magical dancing is!
ReplyDeleteI can relate to this so much! I used to do Ballroom Dance when I was younger but had to stop because my partner quit.. One of the saddest moments ever. I love dancing in general, but from that point on I never really got to indulge in any of it because of the stupid German school system (well, to be honest, I think the school system is decent - it just really sucks when it comes to anything not directly-academic). My family never had the money to send me to a private dancing school or the time to drive me to a bigger city where I could have had a new partner.. So yeah, it really is something I pretty much just don't do anymore. :( I got to really dance my heart out in Ecuador with Salsa-bars everywhere and people who can dance. But ever since nothing. I enjoy my occasional clean-up dance. Haha.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Mia Michaels! She's my favorite choreographer when we watch SYTYCD. Her and Travis Wall. I don't play the piano as often as I should - much like your dancing. It gets hard when the kiddos want to play too, and so you never get that time to release. I need to do better at making time for me.
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine (in her 30's) started dancing again...it's never too late. She lives in Provo and is part of Dance Again. You should look it up and see if it's in your area too!
ReplyDeleteDance, dance, dance! Never give up on something you love so much! Even if it is just for you, in the kitchen or where ever - dance for yourself and as an example to the girls. I greatly miss watching you and your sister dance! I would love to know you are still dancing.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you danced! My downstairs neighbor teaches a mommy and me dance class near you with her two year old. You should totally go. Although, I totally understand that trying to teach your 2 year old twins first position is NOT the same as dancing.
ReplyDeleteI really loved writing poetry my entire life, but have felt recently that I'd "outgrown it."
I mean, if I'm not a professional poet, then I'm just... Writing down feelings? That's stupid.
Which isn't true. It's hard to do things that are emotional when we don't have time to do even basic survival stuff like laundry, sometimes.
I hear you.
Wow. That was beautiful. I wish I had that space to dance. It reminds me of when I would go with my dance co. to dance camps and performances at Davis High School and Bingham High School. I love love dancing and if I weren't pregnant right now, I would totally be dancing in my room right now cause of how this post made me feel.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite performances was my senior year and our music got ruined. My teacher told us to count out 4 sets of 8 before starting the dance and I swear it was one of the best times we did that dance. And the music was faster than the original and I loved it!!
Let me know if you end up doing a dance class cause I have wanted to do that for years. I miss it so much!
Beautiful post!!
Wow. That was beautiful. I wish I had that space to dance. It reminds me of when I would go with my dance co. to dance camps and performances at Davis High School and Bingham High School. I love love dancing and if I weren't pregnant right now, I would totally be dancing in my room right now cause of how this post made me feel.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite performances was my senior year and our music got ruined. My teacher told us to count out 4 sets of 8 before starting the dance and I swear it was one of the best times we did that dance. And the music was faster than the original and I loved it!!
Let me know if you end up doing a dance class cause I have wanted to do that for years. I miss it so much!
Beautiful post!!