A few days ago, someone asked me when we thought we would have another baby. I replied with, "When my girls start sleeping through the night?"
I think she thought I was kidding.
I was not.
If you've known or followed me since the beginning of my girls' lives, you know that they've never been awesome sleepers. I've written about it before, but the truth is that it's never really gotten better. I'm usually up with one of them at least one a night (last night it was 3 times with Lillian and once with Sophie. Lilly gets a pass though because she's currently sick...) We've had the girls in big girl beds since July because that's when they started climbing out of their crib. I said on facebook that day that my "life was over" and I was accused of being dramatic. Well guess what? 6 months later and they still don't sleep well in their beds. Bed time is a battle every single night.
I think she thought I was kidding.
I was not.
If you've known or followed me since the beginning of my girls' lives, you know that they've never been awesome sleepers. I've written about it before, but the truth is that it's never really gotten better. I'm usually up with one of them at least one a night (last night it was 3 times with Lillian and once with Sophie. Lilly gets a pass though because she's currently sick...) We've had the girls in big girl beds since July because that's when they started climbing out of their crib. I said on facebook that day that my "life was over" and I was accused of being dramatic. Well guess what? 6 months later and they still don't sleep well in their beds. Bed time is a battle every single night.
We've got a pretty good routine down. We usually have pretty relaxed evening and then around 7:30 I start getting them ready for bed. We get into jammies, read a story or two, brush teeth, get a drink of water, grab our favorite stuffed animal and blanket and then we're off to bed. This is where the fun begins. The girls lay down, we sing a few songs, say a prayer, but when I leave? They go wild. The jump from one bed to the other, they break into the closet, they pull on the blinds, they pull the clothes out of their drawers, and then stomp around in the drawers on their beds (we've got twin storage beds and I ended up duct taping the drawers shut, but they figured that out) I ended up taking the doorknobs off their closet and we moved the dresser into the other room. They've put dents in walls, completely broken the blinds in their room and probably 3 times a week, Sophie takes off her diaper and pees/poops everywhere. And did I mention that they can move their TWIN SIZE mattresses? Like completely take them off their bed and move them around the room. They climb under them and get stuck and I'm terrified of suffocation.
Sounds awesome, right?
Now, before you peg me as a terrible mother, I feel like I've tried everything. I've fiddled around with nap time (but as of recent, they've basically given up napping all together), pushed bed time earlier, I've tried to stay in their room until they fall asleep. It's never worked. A few weeks ago I was in their for almost TWO hours. Every time they would get out of bed, I'd put them back in. They thought it was hilarious and I literally cried myself to sleep while they were screaming and kicking the door. I've tried letting them have music to fall asleep to. That's helped a little, but it hasn't really solved anything. I've tried taking away blankets, pillows and stuffed animals, I taped the drawers shut, I've cut back on sugar, I've rewarded the twin that actually stays in bed, I've tried to take them out more to wear them out, we've done more structured activities during the day, we've tried baths right before bed, etc, etc. I've read books, I've read blogs, I've asked babycenter, I've prayed about it.
I think this whole time the answer has been staring me in the face. We have an extra bedroom that's sort of become the dumping ground for crap. Ok, not crap per say, but the crib mattresses, toys that I rotate through, our pack and play, old baby gear, a picnic table that goes outside when it's warm and their dresser. I've been moving out/finding a spot for all of those things to completely clear out that room. Once that's done, it will be the twins' new room. Crib mattresses on the floor, two pillows, two blankets, two stuffed animals. That's IT. No dresser, no access to the closet, no drawers to pull out from under the bed, nothing but a little mattress on the floor.
This is initially what we did after we took down the cribs, but we felt a little bad for having them sleep on the floor. They would play and bounce around a little bit, but it was nothing like it is now. I figure if this doesn't work, one kid will end up on a crib mattress on the floor and the other will be in the big girl bed in the other room. Or in other words, SOPHIE will be on the crib mattress and Lillian will get the big bed. Why? Because it's always Sophie that gets Lillian riled up. It's Sophie that figured out how to open the closet. It's Sophie who (I'm 99% positive) had the idea to move the huge mattresses.
So that's where we're at. I bet you all think I'm crazy and you're right. I'm going crazy. Remember how it took my girls 9 months to sleep through the night? And remember how I kid myself that they're sleeping through the night now?
The girls have been alive for 917 nights and we've probably woken up in the middle of 793 of them.
I'm tired.
Hopefully, we have more of these moments in our future soon.
I was definitely not being dramatic on the day they started climbing out of their cribs. :/


I'm no momma expert (at all, obviously) so take this with a grain of salt. But I wonder how they'd do with one girl in each room? My sister and I used to fight like crazy, and the moment we got separate rooms, we were friends again. This is different than fighting obviously, but maybe they'd be able to relax more without someone nearby?
ReplyDeleteAnd I just realized that you already wrote that as a last attempt option! Carry on... Haha
DeleteNo, it's a great idea. They didn't start sleeping through the night until we split them up to separate rooms. I'm thinking we might need to split them up again. I'm currently trying it for nap time and they're both crying for their sister. :( We'll see what happens.
DeleteOkay I've been reading your blog for a while and I don't remember if I've ever commented. I can't remember how I even stumbled upon the blog. But I'm a mormon twin mom too. And I've been having the same issues as you. Toddler beds are horrid- I would've kept them in cribs until they were five if I could have. But they're finally starting to come around. I just wrote about it on my blog. Here's what worked for us, perhaps it may help?
ReplyDeleteFor getting out of bed: staying in their room until they fall asleep. Repeatedly put them back in their bed, calmly and without giving them much attention. Switch with hubs if possible because it's infuriating. It took them a long while to get the picture but it slowly took less time and we've just barely been able to stay out of the room and they stay in bed.
Middle of the night: if they get out of bed, we swiftly put them back in bed without talking to them, without cuddles or anything. We made it so it was completely unrewarding to get out of bed in the middle of the night.
Early wakeup: we bought a clock that lights up at the "okay" time for them to get out of bed. We're in the middle of getting them to remember they have to stay in bed until the green light comes on.
Naps: I thought naptime was gone too. They'd just be crazy maniacs. But without naps, they were soooo grumpy all the time. I finally figured out that I just needed to do a ton of cuddling and calming. The moment one seemed to start getting wild, I'd scoop them up for a big cuddle. I'd go back and forth between them until they were calm and falling asleep.
Having two rooms would probably be super helpful. Twins just feed off each other so bad. Switching out of cribs is 10 times harder with twins. Best of luck to you, may more sleep be in your future!
(and sorry a stranger wrote such a giant comment, I hope you don't think I'm weird!)
I've thought about the clock thing. I'm just not sure where we would put it (since they essentially have an empty room) and I know they'd break it. :( Luckily, getting up in the morning usually isn't the issue. They normally get up between 7-8. It's just getting them to bed that's the problem. I should try to stay in there until they fall asleep. It's just after two hours of it last time, I cracked and them them scream. Arg. I just wish they would fall asleep easily.
DeleteThanks for your suggestions though. Hopefully with constancy they'll start to work.
maybe you need to call super nanny? haha. I love that show!
DeleteI feel your pain in that my daughter didn't start sleeping through the night until EIGHTEEN MONTHS. Shoot me. And with two? I don't doubt that you've gone crazy. I'm crossing my fingers and praying that you find something soon, because that "sleep-deprived" mindset is a frustrating place to be.
ReplyDeleteOne thing with Sophie peeing and pooping everywhere - THAT we are experts on experiencing. My daughter was (is) potty trained except for naps/night time. And almost every nap we would end up with poop all over her crib and wall. And I can't even explain to you how frustrating it was because we literally tried everything (including duct taping her diapers on so that they were tighter - she got it off). The only thing that has worked is talking about it constantly (where do we poop? do we poop in our beds? nooooo, do we poop in the toilet? yessssss) and waiting it out. Sloooooowly i've noticed she understands a little more each week/month and we are finally down to it only happening like once a month (she's almost 2 1/2).
Seriously, good luck. And if you have anymore people tell you you are just being dramatic, just pull one of these and call it good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHMQ64vRUM
(haha and if you don't like 30 rock just ignore that link)
Sadly I am in the same situation with my twin girls who are now 2. They NEVER sleep through the night. Wish I had something helpful to say, you'll have to let me know what finally worked for you, when it does.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear this. This doesn't make me very excited to move millie to her big girl bed-which we will do soon. You've probably heard this one before, but what if you put them back in their cribs...you put the mattress on the floor and then its harder for them to climb out. Or they do sell crib tents. Look into it. :) I am so sorry!!!
ReplyDeleteMaybe let the sleep in separate rooms. Just have one big girl bed in each room. That's just it...One more idea, I had this rotating light thing I use to watch as I fell asleep. It was entertaining and calmed me. This kind of stuff: http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-rotating-night-light.html
ReplyDeleteI also remember when I was little my mom would let me watch like one show to fall asleep to. I am sure it was always something low key, like boring.
Just ideas.
My sympathies...sleep is such a frustrating issue! My daughter (1 month younger than your girls) still doesn't sleep through the night consistently. Fortunately, she's still in her crib with no immediate plans of trying to escape...hopefully. When we moved our oldest to a real bed, it went about like you are describing...dents in the wall, climbing, never going to sleep, etc. We did what you did--his room looked like a prison cell! He only had his bed on the floor (he had to "earn" a bed frame and a real mattress, which took several months!) and a couple of blankets. We also had to turn his doorknob around and lock him in at night because he refused to stay in his room! It was a rough couple of months, but he eventually learned that we were not messing around. I hope that's the case for you. You might try separate rooms for them for awhile and see how that goes? My kids each have their own room--I'd go crazy trying to get one to sleep while the other was doing everything they could to stop that from happening! :)
ReplyDelete3 words.... THAT TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!! I'm so sorry! We're working with Samuel (again) to try to get him sleeping through the night. The twins I watch are awful sleepers as well, up several times a night, often for long stretches at a time. I wish I new what to tell you (aside from punching the people who ask you when you're going to have more kids in the face).
ReplyDeleteGood luck Brittany! It sounds like splitting them up for bed is the best solution. They are with each other all day, the night won't kill them. ;) Keep going. You can do this! :D
ReplyDeleteOh hugs mama. I would lose my mind too. My first thought was split them up. Then after reading the whole post I realllly think I would split them up. They feed off each other. I would almost guarantee that without one having the other to get naughty with they would know they were alone and go right to sleep. It's worth a shot I think! Sending thoughts of patience to you, I know I would need it.
ReplyDeleteSometimes Tim will have Atticus fall asleep to PBS documentaries when we are feeling particularly lazy and don't want to battle him. He's 3.5 and bedtime is still a battle pretty much every night, and he wakes up several times during the night (usually). Sometimes he wakes up and stays up starting at 3 or 4. I FEEL YOUR PAIN SISTER.
ReplyDeleteOne thing that has helped Atticus is having a loft bed. I think they are probably a little young, and I thought he was too at first. But it's harder to climb out of, and so when it's dark he doesn't. And then he cries sitting on his bed for a while and eventually falls asleep. We have the one from Ikea that's only like 4 ft. off the ground.
Hope you figure it out. I thought Tallulah would be my good sleeper since she slept through the night from 6 weeks-6 months but ever since I went back to school she's back to being up 4-5 times at night for nursing/loving.
Tell people who ask you that to shove it. Or come babysit for a week and then they can have an opinion.
(I already want another one, and I have people telling me: "are you crazy?!" so we kind of have different commentary going on)