10.20.2012

Updated Cloth Diaper Overview

My last cloth diaper post was almost 8 months ago. Not a ton has changed, but a significant amount has and I've been getting a lot of emails over the last few weeks about cloth diapering, so I thought I'd update those who care. Just beware though, this is pretty jumbled and if you're not familiar with cloth diaper lingo, I'd suggest you read this article first.

As far as my diapers go, these are the ones I use..

8 bumGenius 4.0 pocket diapers- I get mine from cottonbabies, but only when they have their 'seconds' sale. I usually can get them for $9 a diaper, but they don't come with inserts. Instead of buying the inserts that were made for them, I fold a cotton prefold into thirds and stuff it in them.

4 Alvababy pocket diapers- These are a new purchase of mine. They're about $5 a diaper and are known as "cheap China made" diapers in the CDing world. I wasn't sure if I would like them because I sort of gave up on my Sunbaby pocket diapers, but I really do like them. My only issue is that they don't fit Lillian even on the biggest rise. Apparently she's got chunkier thighs than Sophie, because they fit her sister, but not her. I don't regret buying them though because they're adorable and work for Sophie pretty well. 

4 Flips covers- I really, really like these covers. I use them with prefolds and often will reach for these over my pocket diapers.

4 Thirsties Duo Wraps- I know in my last overview I said I liked Flips better, but I think I actually like Thirsties better. There aren't huge differences, but if I had to choose just one kind, it would probably be Thirsties.

2 Oh Katy pocket diapers- I like these, but I don't love them. I got them from one of those baby flash sale sites, and they're a pretty standard microfiber pocket diaper. I like them, but probably wouldn't recommend them over other diapers I have. 

1 bumGenius Freetime diaper- You. Guys. This thing is weird and spraying off poop from it? HA! There's no way I'd cloth diaper if this was my only option. I got it for $12 from a recent sale on cottonbabies and while it's nice that you don't have to stuff anything, but spraying these is like an Olympic sport. This has turned into my 'I only use it when I think the girls are done pooping for the day" diaper. It's cute, but not awesome.

15ish regular size prefolds and 12ish infant prefolds. I use the regular prefolds with the covers and the little ones I stuff in my pocket diapers. I also have about 10 hemp doublers that I use to double stuff at nap time.

Remember when I got rid of my microfiber? I still hardly use it. I do have some thinner inserts (more like doublers) that I use, but for the most part, microfiber doesn't work for us. It might be trim, but the rashes, the ammonia, and the stink just aren't worth it to me. It's a shame too, because microfiber comes with virtually every single pocket diaper. I still use the microfiber inserts with my Alva and Oh Katy diapers because they're relatively knew and the microfiber hasn't rebelled quite yet. I'm not convinced that this union is going to last long though... 

So that's what I use. I've been cloth diapering a lot more lately (I really try to limit disposables only to bed time) and I've gotten in a pretty good groove of things. I change my girls every 2-2 1/2 hours (so 6 each a day), so by the end of two days I usually have 24 diapers to wash. I still do a cold rinse, 2TB of Tide in a hot wash and sometimes an extra cold rinse after if I feel like they need it. It's simple and it works. I've found that any time I try to add anything or change anything up, we have problems. 

And that's basically it. I still have the same wetbag that I put my dirty diapers in and wash that once a week. Like I said, it's pretty simple and I think the key is just to not overthink things. 

I do get asked a lot how many diapers people should buy. I never really know what to say to this because it all depends on how often you're going to use them and how often you want to do laundry. I feel like I have a really good number for us (and truthfully, even if we had 3 in diapers) Sometimes I think I don't have quite enough prefolds for all the covers I have (usually you can go through 3 perfolds per cover. So, really I should have double the prefolds) but it hasn't been a big deal. 

Basically, I go through 6 diapers in a 12 hour period per child. Sometimes a few more, sometimes a few less. I think when determining how many you need, you first need to decide what diapers you want. If you're doing pockets or all-in-one's, you have to change the entire diaper at each change. If you're doing prefolds and covers, you often just need to change the prefold. So logically, you'd need more pocket diapers than you would covers. Make sense? I would make sure you had at least 12-15 changes worth of diapers if you're wanting to wash often or only do it part time. If you're more serious about it, go for 20-30 diapers, whether that means 6 covers and a bunch of prefolds, all pockets or all-in-ones, or a combination. 


Now for potty training.... 

I don't have much to say because I haven't attempted it. We have a little potty chair that I bought at Ikea and we got a little seat cover for the actual toilet, but the girls are terrified of both of them. I mean terrified. They literally shed tears if I ask them to sit on them. So... who knows when that will happen. I've read a lot about potty training and I feel like everyone has the "right" way. I'm not in a huge rush to potty train them and they are NOT interested, so I'm not stressing it. I've heard that potty training cloth diapered kids is easier, but that's only because they feel wet in prefolds so they actually can tell when they go. A lot of our diapers are fleece or suede, so their bums don't actually get wet. And I've also heard that multiples are harder to potty train than singletons for various reasons. So, who knows when it will happen? I'm not sure how to get the girls not scared of the potty. I was thinking of having Santa bring them the Elmo potty dvd...maybe that will help? Have any of you had a kid that was afraid of BOTH kinds of potties? Like absolutely terrified to the point of tears?

And here are some pictures because if you made it through all of that, you deserve to see some cute baby bums. 

Sophie is a Thirsties Duo Wrap with a prefold

Lillian in a bumGenius 4.0 stuffed with a prefold

Lillian in a Thirsties Duo Wrap with a prefold

And Sophie in an Alva stuffed with a microfiber insert. 

If you have any questions, please ask! It should be easy for me to answer them because I can reply in the comments. So, if you ask one, check back!

11 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry about potty training. Savannah also screamed in terror at both kinds of potties at that age. And then, right at 2.5 she randomly started showing interest and potty training went really well. Just wait for them and they'll be ready sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't worry about potty training. Savannah also screamed in terror at both kinds of potties at that age. And then, right at 2.5 she randomly started showing interest and potty training went really well. Just wait for them and they'll be ready sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just barely bought some of the Bumgenius 4.0's at the last Cottonbabies "seconds sale" and I am kind of obsessed. I bought some of the stay dry inserts to go with them and I am wondering if you guys ever tried those? We've had some on-and-off nasty issues with ammonia as well (I THINK we've got it under control?? *fingers crosses*) But I am worried that we will end up having the same problems with these down the road because they are microfiber. I'm trying to decide what to buy if I get more BG for when we have another kid - more stay dry inserts or a different type of insert? What's your opinion?

    Oh and with potty training, keep with what you are doing. Its a heck of a lot easier to wait till they are interested in it (we are in the whole process right now). One thing my little girl loves is watching the Signing Time "Potty Time" DVD (I sell the DVD's and I can get you one at my cost if you want) while sitting on her little toilet. The songs are.. "special" ha but it makes her want to sit on the potty so I am all for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually did have some of the stay dry inserts. I was using them up until about a week ago when I finally called it quits. I'm not sure what the deal is with us and microfiber. I know some people who use microfiber exclusively and never have issues! I wish there was something as thin as microfiber, absorbed as quickly, but was a natural fabric. Cotton is bulkier and hemp or bamboo don't soak up pee quickly, so they can be prone to leaks if that's all you use. So...? I guess just see how it plays out and if your microfiber does give out, judge how much use you were able to get out of them to decide if it was worth it. I used all of our microfiber for at least a year before I started having problems with it, so I don't consider it a waste that I had so much. Does that make sense? The infant prefolds from Cottonbabies do work perfectly in the 4.0's though!

      Delete
    2. Good to know - thanks! I have a few of the infant prefolds so I guess if the microfiber starts causing too many problems we can go that route. Ha maybe once the next kid comes around I will have FINALLY worked out all the kinks.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the update! Glad to hear you like the Alva diapers.. I have a couple of the color snaps ones (or 4.0 or double gusset.. they have many names..) and it's actually significantly bigger than any other OS pocket. Maybe this would work for Lillian in case you're still looking for something.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I realized there were different kinds of Alvas! Off to investigate and maybe spend more money. ;)

      Delete
  5. Spend more money?! Girl, you're still WAY below the "average" twin mom as far as diaper costs go. I say "GO BRITTANY," and tell people about my friend who "cloth diapers twins" all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing! I've been CDing my 6 month old, but I couldn't imagine TWO! Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog has "no stealing please" when I right click to pull up an entry in another tab.

    That is really, really mean and really, really stupid, especially because I can still ctrl-c/ctrl-v the text anyway if I wanted to "steal" it.

    I was going to read your blog, but now it's not worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for commenting because I had forgotten about that. I had it up temporarily while I was figuring something out with my pictures. I meant to take it off, but never got around to it, I guess. Not sure if you'll see this reply, but it's off now. I'm also nt sure how it was mean or stupid since this is my blog and it did serve it's purpose, but it's not needed anymore and you should be able to right click again.

      Thanks!

      Delete