Sometimes, I find myself overlooking the easier baby. That baby is currently Lillian. That's horrible for me to admit, but Sophie has a much more...vibrant personality. She's more interactive, louder, and usually demands more attention. It's usually the kid that is less clingy and demanding that gets put on the back burner. I've found that it goes back and forth between the girls, and currently, Lillian is sitting in that spot.
However, she is fantastic, smart, adorable and hilarious in her own ways. So here are some things I'm loving about Lillian.
Her cheesy grin. She's got adorable chubby cheeks and the cheesiest smile in the world. She knows when it's appropriate to simply crack a slight smile and she knows when to show off her mouthful of teeth.
Her belly laugh. Guys, she laughs like an old man and it's the cutest thing ever. Her pot belly shakes and she squints her eyes with cackling. She doesn't do it very often, but when she does, I stop whatever I'm doing and soak in the hilariousness.
Lillian is stubborn. Adorably stubborn. I've been worried about her lack of talking and lack of picking up signs. However, I've recently realized that she gets it. She understands pretty much everything we say and she can say and sign a few things. She's just very stubborn. We went to my parent's house on Sunday and my brother had both of the girls on his bed. He also had a giant box of fruit snacks that he emptied for them to play in. Not only were they in Heaven, but Lillian knew right away to sign "please" if she wanted some. She's been withholding that sign for almost a week now and I was beginning to get really frustrated over it. I laughed out loud when she frantically rubbed her front side because she wanted those fruit snacks that badly. But I also know that if I would have asked, "Can you say please?" she would have gotten angry and thrown a fit. See? Stubborn.
I sing this song (which is realize is very politically INcorrect...) to Lillian. Instead of ten little Indians, I sing it "ten little Lillian Jeans". It's a daily thing in our house and she gets excited because it's just for her. Sophie doesn't have a song of her own that I sing so...hope she doesn't land in therapy someday for that one...
Lillian is the determined one. She figured out how to climb on our kitchen table bench and thus, can now climb on the table. Sophie watched while she figured it out and was eventually able to do it too, but it was Lillian who didn't give up and figured it out. And yes, I sat there and watched as she did it. It's fascinating watching them figure things (even if they're not desirable things) out.
I think my favorite recent Lillian development is her gasp. If she sees something she likes, if someone important walks in the room (like dad), or if she gets excited over a toy or her blanket, she drops her jaw, widens her eyes and lets out a giant gasp. It makes me laugh every single time. It's usually followed by clapping and her cheesy grin. She is the most expressive little kid I think I've ever met.
And on the mention of blankets, this kid is obsessed. It has to be a fleece blanket with a tassel though.Luckily, we have at least 5 of those at our house and she in enamored with all of them. She carries them with her wherever she goes and gets really jealous if anyone else is using a fleece blanket, even if she's currently carrying two.
Lillian is smart, curious, funny, but definitely more calm (usually)
than Sophie. She's definitely the kid that enjoys the simple pleasures
in life and she keeps me on my toes with all the energy she has. So
although Sophie is the 'harder' kid right now and requires more of my
attention, Lillian is not to be forgotten because she's really, really
great.
And sorry for the crappy pictures from my iTouch. I've gotten out of the habit of carrying my camera around. I've just had no motivation with switching lenses, editing pictures, etc. That will change soon. Promise.
The please in action...
Um... yeah, the next post will have real pictures. I pinkie promise.
She looks so grow up and big in the last picture, like she needs to be handed a backpack so she can trot off to preschool.
ReplyDeleteThis post struck a note with me. When my twins were tiny, I would go through similar phases where one baby was "easier" and I felt terrible for thinking so! And it would switch which baby got more attention as the babies went through different phases. What a great way to focus on the "easier" twin right now. I think one of the hardest parts about twins for me was feeling like I could never give them equal attention or bonding time. But maybe they don't need equal attention, maybe they just need individualized attetion. See? Even though mine are almost 5 years old, I'm still trying to figure it out!
ReplyDelete