After 23 years of living and avoiding strep throat, it finally caught up with me. It started Sunday with a scratchy throat. Monday Morning, I thought death was at my doorstep. I woke up unable to breathe because my throat was so swollen. I had a husband who had just gotten off the 12 hour graveyard shift and two screaming children. Josh was able to help me for about 20 minutes, but he had to go to sleep. So, I did what any mature, capable mother would do. I called my 17 year old sister and begged her (while sobbing) to take a day off of school and come help me. Not only did she come, but my mom came too. They took care of the girls while I went to the doctor, they did my dishes, swept my floors, fed the girls and kept them entertained for hours. I can be pretty prideful when it comes to my girls and I don't like asking for help. I've only done it a handful of times, so you know when I do (especially when I'm literally crying while asking) it's a big deal. I'm so, so grateful to live close enough to my family (both sides) and that they are able and willing to miss work and school to help me out. They were lifesavers. After some Chamomile tea, 4 antibiotic pills, countless ibuprofen pills and an Italian soda lovingly made by my next door neighbor, I started to feel great. Now, I just feel like I have a cold so I'm very grateful for that. I know strep is bad, but maybe it's kind of like the chicken pox and it gets worse if you get it as an adult? Either that or I'm just a wuss, because it seeeeriously whipped me out. But never fear, I'm am feeling much, much better.
And because I mentioned in my last post that I recently became an instagrammer, here's a little preview of some of our every day moments in our house. I think that's why I like instagram so much. I don't have to lug around my huge camera (or even my little point and shoot) all of the time. I'm able to sneakily grab my iPod and snap a picture without the girls noticing. So, without further ado, here's some of the first batch of instagram photos that will be appearing on this blog. :)
Here's to a happy, healthy rest of the week!

Oh my goodness. Kelsey is amazing. I almost cried when I read that she AND your mom came. That's amazing. I am so happy that you have family near. Today, I was so tired that I couldn't open my eyes, but I didn't want to ask for him. My mother in law saw I was dead tired and just sent me to bed. Isn't it wonderful to have family around?
ReplyDeleteAs for strep throat, I used to get it every winter when I was a kid. I mean, I have probably had it ten times and when I got it in college, it was just as horrible! Your throat hurts so badly you can't swallow and you just want to drink, but everything hurts. I can't imagine taking care of two babies and feeling that badly!
Get some rest! Love you!
I got strep the week before my first marathon. Seriously thought I was going to die. Alan was home curled up in agony with a ruptured disc, so it was up to me to take the kids to soccer. I remember sitting in my soccer-mom chair with tears streaming down my face and teeth chattering from the fever, finally summoning Ethan over five minutes before the end of the game to tell him I couldn't stand it anymore - we had to go. Bleh. So grateful it is so easily treatable.
ReplyDeleteOn the flip side, my Rach had it this week. I was heading to the doc with Katie, who had a rip-roarin' case of pneumonia, and just on a hunch had Rachel's throat swabbed too. Her only symptoms? Snoring and a neck ache. Only once of her 7 strep bouts has she had the sore throat and fever bit. She was upset with me for making her stay home from school until the 24 hour contagion period was up.
What a weird bug. Glad you kicked it to the curb, and even gladder that you have an awesome family that pitched in. Sisters rule :).
the banner is so cute!
ReplyDeletecheck my fashion/beauty blog
searchingforLBD.blogspot.com
Greetings from Finland