I've written and re-written this post about a gazillion times. It just isn't sounding right to me. Not that it's "bad" per say, but I don't like how what I'm trying to say is coming across.
Basically, I've been thinking a lot lately. Specifically, I've been thinking about trials. I've been taken back recently at how many people around me are suffering. Sometimes, I get so focused on what I'm going through that I forget to stop and look at the big picture. I get in such a hurry that I don't hold doors open for people, or I don't let the little old lady who's just wanting to buy some orange juice go ahead of me at the grocery store. I forget that these people I come in contact with everyday are actual people. People with heartaches, people with struggles, people who are on the verge of breaking down. A while ago, I stumbled across this blog post. Go read it right now. It will change the way to treat people. Once I read it, I was determined to cut the crap so to speak, with superficial relationships. I hate the "How are you?" "Oh fine, thanks." conversations that occur on a daily basis. I've been asked that before and I sometimes just want to scream, "I'm NOT ok! I'm having the worst day I've had in months." but who does that?
I was talking to a friend a few days ago, that actually does do that every once and a while. She's feisty and I admire her for it. She doesn't intend to make people uncomfortable, but to make them think. So often, we're too busy worrying about our own problems, that we miss hearts breaking around us. You never know what the cashier at Target had to deal with before they started their shift. You never know why your doctor felt the need to have a 45 minute conversation with the patient ahead of you (even if it was a conversation about horses and dating...). You don't know who's going through a divorce, who got in a fight with a loved one the night before, who had a someone recently die, who just had a miscarriage or who...whatever it may be.
This all sounds so depressing and I know it's a weird topic for my blog, but I can't get it out of my head. It's been especially interesting to see people interact this holiday season because people are sooo busy. And greedy. And rude. So, my Christmas wish is to have people pay closer attention to each other. Stop with the superficial 'friendships' and really get to know somebody. Basically, just be kind to one another because it's true. In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see.
So please, just be kind.

Thank you for this. I needed to hear it this morning.
ReplyDeleteThanks for putting these thoughts into such lovely words. It's true--sometimes we forget that there people out there suffering silently. I would love it if more people would say how they are really doing. Why do we feel like we have to keep it to ourselves? Once we put it out there, it gives others the opportunity to help us. We don't have to do it alone. The older I get the more I realize that I *can't* do everything on my own. I just can't. And I, personally, need to be better at letting people know that I can't. I've had a blog post--maybe a somewhat whiny one!--floating around in my head all morning and I've been debating whether or not to sit and write it. But I think I'm going to take my own advice and put it out there. Have a lovely day/weekend/Christmas with your little family!
ReplyDeleteI know you didn't post this so everyone would share their sorrows, but I had a partial molar pregnancy in October. I always knew people dealt with hard stuff, but this experience seemed to bring so much of it to light. I felt suddenly aware of many women in my life who were struggling with hard things.
ReplyDeleteI'm embarrassed to think that I was one of the people who probably said something thoughtless to someone suffering, especially when small kindnesses have meant a lot to me the last couple of months.
This is great, Brittany. And excellent seasonal timing.
Britt what an amazing post! I read that article you linked to and it was just what I needed. Thanks girl! And have a wonderful Christmas :) let's play soon.
ReplyDeletePs. One of the guys Danny home teaches works with josh at kennecot! What a small world :)
Umm..you inspired me to write a post. I love this hymn. Susan McCloud, who wrote "Lord I Would Follow Thee," was in our ward and shared the meaning behind the song. Honestly, it was life changing. It means so much to me now, and I am grateful to know you cherish it as well. Thanks for being so wonderful.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, Brittany. You are so awesome. I remember once reading a quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne that said something to the effect of, "When we can look inside the secret mysteries of our enemies, we will find enough suffering and tragedy to remove all hostilities." That is completely paraphrased, but I absolutely love the message.
ReplyDeleteThis was beautiful. That post you linked was absolutely marvelous too. It's so incredibly true. There have been so many times in the past, and even just this week that I sort of wished I had a sign like that. I think often when we walk into someone's house and it's a complete disaster our first instinct is to judge. Or at least I'll confess mine is. When really I should wonder if they're ok. This was a fantastic reminder, especially around this time of year. I think I too get too wrapped up my own sorrows, especially lately. This is exactly what I needed.
ReplyDeleteA-MEN! That Brave Girls post is one of my all time favorites. So honest and real.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas, friend. And come by some time to get the cute little black shoe that's still perched on top of my piano.
that referenced post was beautiful. thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete