I get this question asked a lot. A lot. Especially when the girls are being particularly...challenging. Sunday was a prime example. They definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning. So much so that three different people commented to me how "feisty" my girls were or that my hands were full as I was walking with them in the hall at church. I wasn't offended or anything because they're speaking the truth. They are feisty and I do have my hands full.
Some days, like the past two (or seven) are hard. Some days, all the girls want to do is play outside. Some days I don't get a single thing done around the house. Some days the girls don't want anything to do with me. Some days they won't leave me alone. Some days I think, "Man, this twin thing is pretty easy" and some days I literally cry myself to sleep because I'm so overwhelmed.
My visiting teacher came by yesterday and made note of how my girls were acting at church. When she started out with, "I saw you with your girls yesterday..." I was scared I was going to get a mini lecture. She's a white haired, season mother of ten. She knows her stuff. And I feel like sometimes when people "know" their stuff, they forget what it was really like. They forget all the diaper blow outs (although, if you have white hair, you cloth diapered and I promise cloth diapers don't have blow outs like disposables...) they forget that their children screamed, dumped their milk on the floor, threw your clean laundry all over your house, etc. So, when she said she noticed my girls at church, I was scared. I didn't need to be however, because she recalled when she was a young mother. She said that when her ten children were little, her husband was always either in the Bishopric or Stake Presidency, thus leaving her alone with ten children. She said they would jump off the benches, pull old ladies' hair, pull the trousers off of their brothers, etc, etc. It got to the point where she started talking half of her children to church and left the other half at home with a friend. After the first hour, she'd switch the kids and attend a different congregation with the other half of her kids. She said it was still hectic, but she survived.
I don't know why, but hearing this made me feel like a million bucks. I guess I always assume that I'm in people's way. That my kids are the kids that everyone is annoyed of. That I don't do a good enough job at keeping them quiet or that they are running around too much. Sometimes I feel like church is a waste because some days I literally get nothing out of it.
But then every once and a while, someone will offer to let the one of the girls sit on their lap. Or someone will tell me for the umpteenth time how beautiful their eyes are or how they are the most gorgeous babies they've ever seen. Or someone won't care if they're walking all over their scriptures (although stepping on an iPad is understandable pushing it...) or slobbering all over their pen or playing with their jewelry. Its those moments when I get it. I get that my family isn't the annoying one. I get that my girls do bring other people joy. I start to understand how lucky I am to not only have these girls, but to live where I do surrounded by such great people.
And then I picture myself in 50 years visiting teaching. I'll recall this stage in my life when I had 13 month old twins who would not sit still or be quiet and how my husband or I would sometimes have to take them home or at the very least spend the hours pacing the halls with them. I'll let the new mom know that it's ok to have babies who refuse to stay in one place for more than 4 seconds. It's ok to have kids that scream when their sister shoves them down. It's ok to wander the halls because at least you're making an effort.
And it's ok to think after all of this, that your babies are the cutest things on the planet because let's face it,
mine truly are
;)
;)
Your babies bring me joy. Seriously, they are the most adorable girls and I want them for my own.
ReplyDeleteAnd you and your babies are the first to really make me look at motherhood like something I want. It's not because you pretend like it's easy, either (though you do a remarkable job--I imagine I'd be in tears constantly). Motherhood seems like such an identity thief and I'm so encouraged by the way you've responded to it.
That's all.
Some days I don't know how ill get through the next hour with one & couldn't even imagine having two. But some how us mothers are able to get through the toughest of days. Your girls are absolutely gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteI have one almost 2 year old and she is out of control most sacrament meetings. Our meetings are also FLOPPED so after 2 hours of running around in nursery, all she wants to do is nap, but instead has to be quiet on my lap. I always bring her binky but I read something that kind of changed my mind about her binky. She strickly only has it at naps and bedtime so when I bring it out at church, she just screams through the binky in her mouth. I have gotten over feeling embarassed if she screams or says something loud during sacrament meeting. They are children. Acting like children. Granted, if they are bloody murder screaming, prob should take them out :-) But this past Sunday she said AMEN! so loud at the closing prayer and everyone around us was laughing so hard, and I was mortified. Sooo all Mom's are hard on themselves, but I think people just need to relax because they are kids just being kids! Kids make noise!! And when they finally hit 18 months, kick them into nursery and never look back!!!
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love visiting teachers? I felt almost the same way on Sunday. I felt like the couple behind me didn't get anything out of the meeting cause they were picking up toys my girls kept throwing. They just told me how much they love little girls. And of course two just means twice the fun. At one point, my husband and I were both in the hall with all our kids.
ReplyDeleteHey there! I'm a friend of Jenny's (your sister in law). I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog. The first commenter on here (Jenny, not your sister in law:)) said exactly, what I wanted to say. Your blog makes me smile and want to experience motherhood myself. Your kids are indeed, gorgeous. Keep on sharing...your blog has melted my heart many times.
ReplyDeleteits so funny because when you're (or i--or whoever, i'd imagine) at the store or some public place..and your kids are the ones screaming or throwing a fit..it is so embarrassing, BUT when i'm at the store by myself and see a screaming baby or child it doesn't even phase me..church included!! so next time theyre trying to run around in sacrament, just remember no one cares!
ReplyDeleteOH, and i realize i'm not a mom. hehe.
but i babysit a LOT. infact im a nanny of a kid for the last 5 years.
and do i need to comment on all of your posts?
yeah. and i'm pretty sure i do!
I LOVE your girls (and you of course). You are welcome to drop one of them off with me any time :)
ReplyDelete