1.19.2011

One baby at a time

Sometimes, I like to pretend I have one baby instead of two. I usually am not strict during the day to keep them on the same schedule because when one is asleep and one is awake I can give the awake baby the attention she really deserves. Being home alone with both of them all day gets a little crazy and sometimes the non-crying baby gets a little neglected. So when I can, I like to play or cuddle with just one baby.

This is probably my only complaint about having twins (well this and getting cross examined during every public outing). I am completely outnumbered during the day. Josh is working/commuting about 10 hours each day so that leaves me with LOTS of baby time. I don't mind it of course, but I'll admit, I get cabin fever frequently {I can't wait for spring/summer. We've got a playground and a swimming pool at our apartment!} and like I said, I don't feel like I can give the babies the attention they individually need. I guess it's not a bad thing though, since I've always heard that twins never have the 'first child syndrome'. They obviously don't get as jealous when a second sibling comes a long because they were never an only child. I'm sure every mom of 2+ kids feels a little torn between giving equal amounts of time between their kids, but sometimes I wish I knew what it was like to only have one. Maybe I sound awful for saying that, but like I said, I feel like the non-crying baby doesn't get any attention. Hopefully within the next few months they actually start playing with each other instead of just starting and giggling (don't get me wrong, I love that. That's my favorite thing about twins so far actually).

Until then, I'll continue to soak up my 'mom and Lillian time' and 'mom and Sophie time'.

IMG_6071
(I recently cut about 4 inches of nasty, nasty bleached hair. I didn't realize how dark my natural hair color really was. It's light brown!)

IMG_5851
(Did I mention that I'm constantly tired? And I realize how unflattering this picture is, but Josh took it a few mornings back and I think it's adorable.)

11 comments:

  1. I really can't imagine what it's like having two babies (and being home alone for 10 hours!!) I could not handle that. I have a hard time with one baby, one day a week, and Tim only have class from noon to 5. I'm sure you are doing a great job though. I think all the time I'm not giving Theodore enough one-on-one time... enough reading, talking, playing. But then Tim reminds me that if he had siblings he wouldn't get near the amount of individual parent time so he'll probably be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that first picture! I actually giggled aloud.
    And I'm totally scared of being home alone all day, THAT is actually my biggest fear with twins, not long nights or goofy schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE them!!! they are so cute, and so lucky to have such an incredible momma. you look great by the way, and i am constantly tired too! we must figure out a way to combat this because it is getting a little out of hand...{for my anyways!}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how we always want what we don't have? I, and I'm sure everyone else in this world would live to have twins. And you and others who have twins want one baby:). They could not be cuter brittany! You are such a good mommy to them, I'm sure they don't notice the lack of attention...which I'm sure is minimal if any. Love those babies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if it is just napping-it is awesome that you have having one-on-one time with your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, Brittany, I love how honest you are! This post makes so much sense to me. I think it's awesome that you try to spend a lot of individual time with each baby. And that "unflattering" picture is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, my first comment posted twice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, look at her little face! Must be dreaming about something intense.

    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I was so insanely jealous when my sister was born! Being a twin didn't help me at all. It may have been the fact she's 4 1/2 years younger, but I felt like she was totally intruding on our lives and I hated her for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is super adorable! You're such an awesome mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That picture is totally not unflattering. It's so great! And ps your hair is still technically blonde and I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete