1.12.2011

What to do? What to do?

Have you guys read this article? I don't like it. Not one bit. I get that things change and technology improves the lives of the general population, but really? 
No more separation of work and home? 
Paper maps? 
Encyclopedias? 
Hand-written letters? 

The lack of paper makes me sad.
I'm all for saving trees, but I don't really like this new world of kindles and google maps that we live in. Sure it's convenient, but what happened to curling up with a book on a cold, rainy night? What happened to pulling out the map on your road trip to California? 

I'm also not a fan at the lack personal contact we have with each other. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I didn't really even know my next door neighbors until about a YEAR after we moved into our last apartment (and Natalie, know that I fully blame myself. You're the one who had a baby to take care of. Me? I sat on my butt and did nothing about it. Don't feel bad at all about it.) I mean, we shared a wall and I said nothing more than 'hi' to them if we happened to get in our cars at the same time. Oh, and once they moved, Josh and I successfully avoided the newbies. They lived there for a few months without any of us acknowledging each others existence.

Pathetic.

Sometimes, I like the fact that we have facebook and I can stalk the girl in high school who I said 3 words to, or the crazy people in my sociology classes, or random friends of friends, but I think it's hindered me to have conversations with people face to face. There's no 'catching' up anymore. Now conversations start, "I was reading on your blog blah blah blah." It's just weird and very impersonal. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I love blogging. (obviously) I think why I love it so much is because this blog has become my journal. I used to be a VERY avid journaler. There have been times where I've written 3-4 pages per day. I sadly haven't written since I've been married and have instead focused my time to this blog. But do you know what I miss? Writing. With a pencil (or pen) and actual paper. I wrote a check the other day (I know, a check? How old school can I be?) and I realized that besides signing my name on the Relief Society roll at church each week, I NEVER write. I at least used to write at school, but since the babies and taking online classes, all I do is type. 

So now, I'm stuck with a decision. Do I start journaling again? If I do, I'll still blog, but it will take a serious hit. Should I start a gratitude journal? I've always thought those were a tad cheesy, but at least I'd be using a pen, right? Write down stuff about the babies? But that's what I do here with typing and pictures. 

Hmmm...
What to do? What to do?

11 comments:

  1. I was making flash cards for my online class last night and after writing three or four my hand started to CRAMP. Pathetic, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it makes me a little sad, too.

    So, the other day, I found my journal. The last time I had written in it was shortly after I got married. So, I decided to catch up on my life. It took hours and pages (and my hand started cramping too! What the ... ?). But I was all caught up, and then I thought ... Why did I just do that? I have a freakin' blog.

    Anyway, I think I allow myself to be much more candid and honest on paper than I do on screen. So, I think I'm just going to do both. But I'm not the one with 5-month-old twins, either. :)

    I think a gratitude journal sounds like a fabulous idea. Or maybe just a journal of spiritual inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you didn't have adorable babies I wanted to see pictures of regularly, I'd tell you that the blog can suffer a bit and you need to journal with a pen and paper. Both would be ideal, but dare I say completely unrealistic at this point in your life?

    I'm with you, though. I'm eco-minded and all, but there is a certain integrity to a printed novel that I'm not about to sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep a happiness journal: each day I write down one happy moment from the day. Doesn't take long and gets me actually writing. And it helps me focus on the positive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I know! I always feel bad that we didn't talk to you guys more. Yes, we're to blame too. :) Really, though, I think all of our schedules were crazy. It wasn't until we all had that surprise meeting at the doctor's office that I was like, "hey, they're pretty cool!" And now you're one of my favorite blogs to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha... I DID do more actual writing today than I think I have in, like, a year! And now my poor little hand is suffering.

    I'm like the epitome of paperless living. My journal is even online. But hey - I figure at least I'm keeping one. I will, however, ALWAYS have old school, binded, page-turning scriptures. I just can't get on board with the "scriptures on my phone" deal.

    Okay, I'm done now. Sorry for the (long) double comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Just last week I was sooo close to buying a journal at
    walmart and thought, I never journal. Real journal. But then I thought how much is on my mind and how fast typing is and I'll just use my computer. My blog is too my journal but there are some personal things I put in a file on my computer I don't want others to read but deep down it makes me sad I didn't hand write it. I just don't have the time. But it makes me sad too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll make you some handmade cards, so you can send notes to your friends and family in the mail, okay? I made a set of monogrammed cards for my friend who is 22, and she said, "Hmm. I don't know what I would use these for, but thanks." I wanted to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! You have twins!
    That's silly, but it literally took me two seconds after reading your comment to rush over here and look at all your adorable baby pictures and posts.
    If you are feeling like blogs are too impersonal, which I totally understand, we should be friends in real life. I seriously have never seen twin babies. (Is that pathetic, or what?) all the twins I know are children or adults.
    I would love to talk about having twin babies and hear all about everything. I'm going to spend some time now stalking through your old blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I am one of those awkward people that you don't "REALLY" know, plus I'm commenting super late, but I don't feel bad because we have the yellow shoe/mug connection.

    You should journal. I take time to do it every sunday, and although I don't get as much down as I'd like, writing in a book with a pen in my hand feels so good, and somehow more permanent than a blog.

    Creepy comment ended.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For my babies first year of life I kept a wall calendar for each of them. I would try to write something daily (nothing long, the space is too small, but something they learned or did or a place we went or something I loved about them). I love not only having a record of their first year, but also that they have a gift from me in my own handwriting recording my thoughts about them. I stopped when they turned one (cause sometimes it would get exhausting to keep up) but I have to say, I kind of miss it and am debating starting again. Maybe I won't stress about writing on EVERY day, but even notes here and there are better than nothing. Plus they're personal and just for them.

    ReplyDelete