5.18.2010

Before I was pregnant

  • I could sleep through the night without waking up to dash to the bathroom or to turn over every few hours. Yes, this now requires me to wake up. Long gone are the days of peaceful tossing and turning.
  • I didn't have random teenagers have 'quiet' conversations debating whether I was pregnant or not. Pretty sure I've been out of that stage since week 15. Teenagers must not be too smart.
  • My belly button looked a little less crazy. I say a little less because my belly button has always been kind of funk looking.
  • I didn't spend hours blog stalking families with twins.
  • I weighed 20 pounds less.
  • I could actually sit through all of church comfortably. I tried last week and failed. :(
  • I could pick things up off the floor without it taking 4 times as long as it should.
  • General Conference talks like this, this and this didn't really hit home like they do now.
  • I filled out 1 snow cone punch card in a summer instead of 1 in a single month.
  • My "big sleep shirts" were just that---big.
  • I didn't look like an 80 year old getting in/out of a car.
  • 3 pm didn't feel like 3 am.
  • I would have spent $100 on clothes instead of baby swings. Yeah that's right, I got TWO for $100. Thanks to my sister-in-law, Teresa, spotting an awesome sale. Almost a $200 saving! Let's just hope both babies like them. If not, KSL here we come.
  • I didn't smell of coco butter constantly. I know it's NOT going to prevent stretch marks, but at least it helps with the insane itching.
  • The phrase "if the babies are here by then..." never EVER entered my mind.
  • I didn't realize how lucky I am to have such a great husband.
  • I had no idea how happy feeling 4 little feet and hands poking around would make me.
  • I didn't have an adorable crib overflowing with adorable clothes, stuffed animals, and toys.

And before I was pregnant, I didn't know I was capable of loving two little strangers so much.

As much as I've loved being pregnant (insert sarcasm.) I'm really excited for these girls to come. I just got off the phone with another new twin mom and I'm mentally ready (at least that's what I'm telling myself). Lots of moms have two babies at once and survive. Not only do they survive, but they love it! I still read everything I can get my hands on about twins and don't claim to be an expert, but I've probably browsed through 30+ blogs, read about 200+ posts on babycenter and other twin websites, read chunks of 3 books and talked to about 5 twin moms. Maybe all my research will be thrown out the window once my girls arrive, but I feel like I've put a serious effort into discovering what reality will be like and I'm excited to put my research into practice.

I'm sure all you experience moms are laughing at my I've-totally-got-this attitude. In reality, I'm terrified and give myself pep talks such as the one above to calm my nerves. Most of the time it works for a few hours. :)

I'm excited to meet my little strangers.

7 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!!!! that crib is adorable. as is all of the things inside. WOW. i can't believe that the girls will be here soooooo dang soon. i am so excited for you guys! you are going to make one fantastic mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still so very excited for you! I just have to tell you that when she was pregnant with her last baby, my friend dropped a can of olives on the kitchen floor. She didn't even attempt to pick it up, and she shrugged her shoulders and waited several hours for a capable child to come home from school to do it. I thought that was riotously funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh--the can of olives was open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I'm so excited for you and to meet those two, little strangers, too! They'll be little cute Brittanys. Yay! Sounds like pregnancy. Oh you are reminding me why I don't want to be pregnant. Lol. Hang in there girl! Take a little pillow to church. I know it's lame but that's what I did with Rachie to make it through sacrament. :) The things we do! I love your crib and cuteness things!!! Love ya very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this really humorous and witty. Good job, Britt. You're a better writer than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blog Stalker cousin here...i am so excited for you to have twins I can't wait to read about all the adventures. I thought I would give you anther blog to check out. They have twin girls and are the cutest. www.bradandshelley.blogspot.com you have to look at the Halloween photos the cutest. Good luck with the babies. 2 are better than 1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confidence is the best thing you can have! Don't let anyone tell you, "Just wait till they get here, nothing can prepare you for the real thing like the real thing" because honestly read all you can and familiarize yourself with new concepts, parenting ideas and methods etc etc. You can never learn enough and you never know when it will come in handy... and you never know how grateful you'll be when you don't have to use some of it :) I think you its better to go into things with a little fear (which is inevitable) and a little confidence. You'll appreciate things being easier than you expected if you fear a little, but you'll also know that "you've got this" when confidence is really what you need in the situation. I am so excited for you, and really, I am pretty jealous! I would LOVE to have twins (I'm sure I say that now and one day I'll get them and want to run the opposite way in total fear!) You are going to be such a great mom, what lucky little girls you'll have!!

    ReplyDelete