I love my job. It doesn't pay well and I really only get substantial hours in the summer, but I absolutely love it. (even when I get punched in the jaw I can still say I like it...) My job has given me a whole new respect for people with disabilities and the people who take care of them. Patience, kindness, and finding joy in simple things are just a few things I've learned. However, the biggest thing that my job has taught me is pure Christ-like love. The kids I work with don't care if you're ugly, fat, smelly, short, tall, etc. They just want you to be happy. These guys are straight from Heaven (well most of them...ha) and they'll stay that way forever. They never loose their 'child-like' attitude. I love it.
Now, for the grumps. Why are non-disabled people so lame? We take the kids out into the community at least 3 days a week and I'm SO disgusted by the stares, whisperings, and terrified looks that we get. I have two examples (from dozens and dozens) that have made me loose a lot of faith in humanity.
1. A few days ago we went to the American West Heritage Center. The kids were thrilled! Pony rides, cookies, chickens and pigs running around, it was great. My participant doesn't physically look disabled at all, but if you spend more than 10 seconds around him, you realize that he is the definition of autism. He got really excited when he found out there were pony rides and he started running up to everyone he saw, asking there where they were. One lady completely ignored him, another guy swore at him and everyone else around just stared. It broke my heart as I tried to get him back over to me because he was crushed. I'll admit, it would be weird to see a teenage boy run up in a high pitched voice asked about ponies, but why be rude? Why not just say something like, "I don't know, you'll have to look at the map!" or something like that? My little guy walked away with his head down low. I wanted to cry and punch everyone around me.
2. We went to Logan's summerfest back in June and a co-worker and I counted in an hour, 6 people staring at us and I heard 2 people whisper about our group (one boy in particular). My intimidating looking co-worker didn't hold anything back and started pointing and staring right back. I was uncomfortable, they were uncomfortable, but hopefully (but doubtfully) they learned a lesson.
We have kids in wheelchairs, helmets, and others with obvious disabilities, but who cares? I don't understand why people are such jerks. I can't stand the staring, pointing, and making fun my kids. Over the past year the participants have become mine. I love them and seriously want to spit on those who make fun. Now, I realize that retaliation isn't Christ-like at all, but we all have room to grow, right? Like I said, these kids are straight from Heavenly Father. Why do people make fun of them? Why are people afraid?
So next time you see someone with a disibility, don't stare. If they talk to you, talk back and don't be afraid. If they were really that scary or violent, they wouldn't be in public. I'm tired of trying to explain to my kids why the "mainstream people" (as some of them call non-disabled people) don't want to talk to them.
I promise with all my heart that I will not be a grump in my next post.
I love you. You are just great! I understand just a tiny bit of what those feelings are like, having an interesting child who doesn't always comply with social norms. Lots of stares. Lots of wanting to hold up signs that say, "We do not abuse him." "Nothing is 'going on' at home." and my favorite..."May I introduce you to my other children?" I have found myself wanting to explain the medical and emotional soup many times. Some people get it, and some don't. That's okay. Shauna has also had her fair share.
ReplyDeleteI have come to realize that people's stares and comments about things like this (as well as my family's sheer size) come from a place of insecurity and an inability to comprehend what they would do in the same situation. When I think that, I don't get so offended, because I know it's not about me or my child.
I also think that if you were the parent of one of these kids, out and about by yourselves, there would not be as much hostility or looky-loo-ing. Still, don't you wish people were just kind and not suspicious?
Thanks Cheryl! I love you too!Everything you've said is true and I like the way you look at it. I need to come to a conclusion like that too, but I reached the breaking point today. I'm sorry that you can relate in your own way, but I just have to say that I quite enjoy your family a lot.
ReplyDeleteI do think it's true that if it was just one kid with an adult it wouldn't be so bad. It creates more of a scene when there's 15 kids and 8 adults prancing around. As you said though, I wish people we more kind...
There is a special needs group that comes to the pool every Friday morning before we open to swim around and play, and let me tell you...I love those kids! And you're so right! Everytime I see them I think, "These children are straight from Heavenly Father." They just love you no matter what and they are so sweet! One little boy Albert comes up to me every week and whispers, "You're wonderful!" or "You're beautiful!" How can you have a bad day after that? You can't! And it is sad how people point and stare. It's sad that they don't understand how precious children in general are.
ReplyDeleteThat seriously happened?! Was Big D with you? If he wasn't, I wish he was! Oh my gosh, that makes me so mad! I mean, I know sometimes we can make a pretty good scene that its hard not to stare, but there is absolutely no reason for people to be outright rude. Grrrr
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm not stalking you, I just saw your post on FB and it said to read your blog, so here i am, :) hahahaha
ReplyDeleteI like you Samanth-ta and you're welcome to stalk my blog anytime! :) Doesn't it make you mad too? I agree with Big D and...little a (haha), I'd rather deal with kids with disabilities than regular kids a lot of times. Ha!
ReplyDeletewow. I am really oblivous to, just about everything when I'm walking so I haven't noticed this, but now i am MAD.
ReplyDeleteBut on them being straight from Heavenly Father, have you ever thought about how cool it will be to see them after this life and get to talk to them? I'm so excited.