So... I've been thinking about, stressing over, and yes, even praying about this post for days. This past week has been crazy and my eyes have been opened to some things that have really made me take a step back and think about this blog. Some of the things that have been on my mind are a little superficial, but a few of them are definitely more serious and while I'm not going to talk about everything that's happened, there are a few things that I want to address.
You know that silly contest I entered the girls in? Well, it got a little crazy. Accusations were thrown around about things *I* had no control over and I although I don't want to play the victim, we were kind of dragged through the mud. Not by the other family at all, but by their friends. By their "team" by the people that were voting for them. My blog was passed around (my hits spiked to over 500 in one day) and I got a few comments and several emails that, in my opinion, were less than kind. Again, I don't want to play the victim, and I'm thinking maybe I still have some of those new visitors reading this (*waves at all the newbies*) but it really made me stop and realize that everyone can read my blog. Everyone can have this glimpse into my life and for someone who's never really like the spotlight on her, it's not something I've ever really been comfortable with.
The contest is over and the top two families both got an iPad. I was so, so happy with that outcome because part of me did feel guilty that it turned so ugly. I had no control over how other people shared the contest, got people to vote, etc and the other family was working just as hard to get the prize. Emotions ran high and at the end of the day, three innocent kids and two moms were in the middle of it. I didn't like it and I hear she didn't either.
But this decision is about so much more than that. I've been having glimpses into my own past and how much I hated the scrapbooks my mom made for us (don't worry, mom, I love them now!) I especially hated this one picture of me in 2nd grade where our teacher made us wear a stupid cowboy hat and vest and pose with our hip jetted out as part of a reading program (or something like that). I still remember that page in my scrapbook. It's the only picture on the bright yellow sheet and I used to dream about burning it, but I was too scared my mom would find out and I'd be grounded for life.
The funny thing is, is that it was just a scrapbook in my own little home. The world didn't see it. I'd venture to say that less than 20 people have ever seen that picture, but it brought so much turmoil to my 7 year old self. And then I think about this blog. There are thousands of pictures my girls on this blog. Thousands of words describing their tantrums, their milestones, and my frustrations and joys with them.
How are 7 year old Sophie and Lillian going to feel about that?
Now, this isn't to say that I'm against blogging or sharing your life through social media. I think it's great. I've learned so much from other blogs and from my own readers, it's made me a better mom and helped me not lose myself in motherhood.
But I can't let go of that nagging feeling that I've had for almost a year now. I think I need to go private.
I think I've said it before, but I've always thought that going private was blogging suicide. I think I read maybe two private blogs on a regular basis. And that's a big maybe. When you go private, people don't get your updates in google reader or on their side bar and your readership falls drastically.
But does that matter? For someone who doesn't like an over amount of attention, I've had to ask myself why I blog. And I'm not sure what the answer is. So, I've decided that until I figure it out, I'm going to go private.
I don't want you to think that you can't come along though. Even if we've never met or if you hated me in middle school, or you hate me now, you can still continue reading. And I don't think I'll be private forever, but for now, it's what feels best. So, leave your email here or send me an email to my hotmail account and you can continue to read about the Mangelson twins. I'll probably give it a week or so (since I still am going to do a giveaway on Monday) and then this blog will be under lock and key.
Don't hate me for this, ok? Apparently I'm not alone in this. I was surprised to get on my google reader page after a few days and see that Busy Bee Lauren had gone private. Her blog is pretty big, WAY bigger than mine and even she went private.
And again, I don't think this will be a permanent thing. I've met so many amazing people through this blog and it makes me sad to do this, but for now, this is what's best. This has literally been on my mind for almost a year now and these last few weeks and a few specific events made me realize that now is the time.
So, enough rambling from me. If you want to keep reading while I go off the grid so to speak, leave me a message and I'll add you to the party.
Thanks for everything. My eyes have been full of tears as I've typed this. This blog has been amazing for me and I hope I don't stay in the shadows for too long.
I wonder if kids will be so used to their parents blogging that they just won't care about all the pictures...
ReplyDeleteLove your face...don't be private too long...I'm far to lazy to try to remember to check.
kelsey.herdman@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI will never judge you sister. I love you dearly.
Oh my goodness. I had no idea about the drama that ensued. I'm so sorry. And shame on them. It's just a silly contest. Either way, I want in :) 04.erin@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteWell I will read no matter what. I have been debating the same thing now that we have a child. Please add me...I think you have my email (my gmail one). You can always link your posts to facebook so people will know you've updated, like you did this one.
ReplyDeleteHi Britney: I have been a long time follower, found you through baby center. My daughter us just a few weeks younger than Lillian & Sophie. Hope I can come with you once you go private. Your blog is great, you are a great mom & honest person. Here's my email, please add me l.lamborn09@yahoo.com
ReplyDeletecmahovina@gmail.com :)
ReplyDeleteI would love to keep reading your blog. Suzanne.fulgham@gmail.com
ReplyDeleterayeraye09@hotmail.com always do what's best for you & your family!
ReplyDeleteFine... I guess I'll still follow the coolest family in the entire universe... Brookeherd@yahoo.com. (as if you needed my email) <3
ReplyDeleteOh, let me stay, please! I don't want to miss out on Lillian's ans Sophie's crazy antics, and 'cause, oddly, your blog makes me less home-sick for my nieces. humatoone@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteYour a great Mom Britt, the girls will have this for the rest of their lives. They will love it. Add me to your list Sis. teresa_herdman@hotmail.com BTW- I wonder if I have ever seen that picture of you in 2nd grade. I'm definitely looking now.
ReplyDeletePlease add me! I love how you write and document your lives on your blog. I'm sorry you hated your scrapbooks. I'll just keep them. llherdman@gmail.com
ReplyDeletePlease add me also! izzielizzie@gmail.com
ReplyDeletemindy.gallup@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through instagram, and as another twin Mamma, I for one am grateful for your posts. Even though I'm a "newbie!", I'd love to keep reading. I also have a blog that I ended up going private on and even though it's hard, it's also nice to know who's reading what I write. (A little trick- and maybe you've seen this already- but, create a second blog that tells when you update and have people link to that blog. That way they can see when you update and go check it out when you've posted! It's what I've ended up doing, and it works out pretty well...)analeispaul@gmail.com (if you want, I could give you a blog invitation to my blog as well!)
ReplyDeleteThis is what I do with my private blog as well. It keeps people aware when you update and they don't have to randomly check to see if you've posted anything new.
DeleteSfortune17@gmail
DeleteI commented for the first time last week. As the mom of triplets (and aunt of twins) I would love to keep following along. I also blog and fear some of the same things. My email is jec31081@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteJaneaj15@gmail.com.
ReplyDeleteHopefully our bond from seminary and crazy Brother Fletcher will allow me to keep reading ;)I do love reading your posts!
Sorry you're having to deal with drama, that's never fun. I would love to keep reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteHebert_Photo@Hotmail.com
Lady your instgram posts and blog about your darling family is amazing. You are an amazing mother! Add me so I can continue to follow you. PS I totally still have the cowboy pick next to the cowboy guy on the door from 2nd grade too LOL! Ohh Provost..
ReplyDeleteharmonyeng@gmail.com
I love reading your blog. marebare@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMarlaw11@hotmail.com and Marla.Nielsen711@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteWe want to stick around! Danicaw87 at gmail dot com. Good for you for doing what you feel is best.
ReplyDeleteWe want in! belges101@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteI'd love to keep reading! Found you through a friend (Amber Hershey) and have loved seeing your little family grow. Your girls are a month older than my little girl, so I can relate to a lot of the milestones/frustrations that you're going through! I always appreciate your honesty, even though I'm a terrible commenter! Good luck! kritty518 at yahoo dot com
ReplyDeleteI would love to keep reading your blog. Brian, my husband, was a co-worker with you. I think you are following my blog and it is private/public. I totally understand how you feel. haja711@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI'll be honest, I've never met you. But I've loved your posts and have been reading since you were pregnant with your girls. I'd love to keep reading. lessa.petrini@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteAdd me too please! I love your blog & my twins were born the day after yours :) andrea.sotomayor@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteI haven't been reading long, but I really do enjoy your blog. Your girls' names struck a chord with me my first day reading as daughter is Sophie Jean. I'd love to keep reading - faeriequeeneonwow(at)yahoo(dot)com
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog! I found your blog thru Becca Vaughn's blog. My email is mdh.hansen@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI love your blog! Please add me :) brittanymalouf@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of that cowboy picture... I'm honored to be one of the 20. :) kchrystler@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI don't want to be cut off the super cute blue eyed twins. Sign me up. Vaherring@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI need to read your blog to know there is someone else out there with a life as wild as mine! Meganr15@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteI would love to keep reading your blog. You've been such an inspiration to me to know that it does get easier as a mom of 5 month twin girls!
ReplyDeleteCsingerton@hotmail.com
I'd love to be added. Emmanicole87@yahoo.com
ReplyDeletecamster_55@hotmail.com
ReplyDeletenataliepitcher77@gmail.com
ReplyDeletecbleak89@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI adore your blog and updates! savgardiner@yahoo.com
ReplyDeletechristy.leinfam@ gmail.com
ReplyDeleteYour girls a just a few months older than my twins and I love seeing the stages that they will soon enter into. It is such a hard decisions to go private or not. I made the same choice awhile ago, and I haven't regretted it. Please send me an invite as well. andygrandster@gmail.com
ReplyDeletehaileywillie@hotmail.com I have to follow the girls that my sons will marry!
ReplyDeleteI'll be honest, too, I've never met you, and I really don't know how I came across your blog (more of a reason to go private now maybe, haha) but I enjoy reading it every now and then. karleewilley@yahoo.com.
ReplyDeletenatbratt@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI would love to continue reading! You were my inspiration to cloth diaper! a.fulton1015@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteme me!! love you blog! katielee14@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteLet me keep reading!
ReplyDeleteBrittany.nicole.hixson@gmail.com
I love your blog so much! I would follow it no matter how public or private! And good for you for following your heart!
ReplyDeletenicolenielsen17@gmail.com
Hi! I found you through Babycenter; my Molly is just a few weeks younger than your girls. I love reading about your girls and would love to continue doing so! ladybug_1717 at yahoo dot com
ReplyDeleteHi there !
ReplyDeleteI've been an admirer of your blog for such a long time! I am a mom of triplet girls and just gave birth to twins so I would love to keep reading your stories!My sister is pregnant with triplets too and I have 7 nieces and a nephew! so please include me
sophia_amici@hotmail.com
Me too! jessicawetherbee@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteLove love love your blog! Maranda_crop@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteHi Brittany!
ReplyDeleteI love love love your blog and hope that I'm one of the lucky who gets an invite!
bonbonbassoon@gmail.com
Hey Brittany. I love you, and respect your decision. (I don't even have a blog because of privacy issues). Anyway, I'd love to keep reading your thoughts. I appreciate how real you are. Plus, you are hilarious. Don't let the haters get you down.
ReplyDeletecynthiakellerbennett@gmail.com
Reading your blog has been just what I've needed. I would love to keep reading. Here's my email fishpond5185@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteYes, please. I love reading about what your girls are up to..and secretly wish our girls could get together for a play date.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy you won your iPad. Sophie and Lillian will love it as much, if not more, than you will.
Don't let the mean spirited people out there get you down. I'm not sure what was said, but you are a great mom raising beautiful smart girls. Keep your chin up momma!
Nika_doll@hotmail.com
I'd love to keep reading :) I follow you on IG as well {AllyssaM} and our girls are close in age so I'd love to keep reading what your girlies are up to!
ReplyDeletemaupin.allyssa@gmail.com
Dear Brittany,
ReplyDeleteyou have an amazing blog and I´d love to keep reading it. I´m reading your blog since a year now and I´m really looking forward to every new post from you. Here ist my email naehkaefer@gmx.de. I´d be lucky if I could read your blog further.
I love reading your blog add me please pinkprep16165@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteBrittany, I love your blog and feel as if I would be great friends with you if we ever met. Your daughters are adorable. Please add me to your list so I can keep reading!
ReplyDeleteaunt_ning@yahoo.com
Jeannie
I'd love to keep reading!
ReplyDeletechels.brown@gmail.com
i love the honesty you aren't afraid to share on your blog, the good and the bad times. jodynicole20@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleterjmyebo@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteCount me in because I want to remain current even after I move!!
Brittany, I would love to keep reading about your girls and your life. I am a friend of your Husbands cousin. I have enfoyed following you and your little family since before the birth of those cuties. I hope you consider me in! awhita18@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteeliseb15@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteI certainly need to continue to creep your blog...
ReplyDeleteoceanbeam@gmail.com
I'd love to keep reading. I have twins about the same age and it's always nice to know that someone else is going through the same things! mnamken@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI have never met you before and I honestly don't even remember how I came across your blog. But I have been an avid follower for over a year. As a mom of 3 kids 4 and under, it's so great to hear stories from other moms that help me feel like I'm not alone. I'd love to keep reading! cmatern@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteI want to keep reading! amandapmckie@gmail.com.
ReplyDeleteI wouId love to keep reading, your blog is one of my favorites!! :) I have followed your blog since the Lillian and Sophie were born.
ReplyDeletemeganeparsons@hotmail.com :)
I would love to keep reading what you and your girls are up too! Helps to have another twin Momma's outlook and advice on things!
ReplyDeletehalowidow01@gmail.com
(halowidow from lds bbc)
Yep, I want to keep reading too! I don't check private blogs very often, but I'll try to make more of an effort. :)
ReplyDeletenat.humpherys@gmail.com
I would love to keep reading! I have been a follower for quite a while and your real glimpse into motherhood makes me excited to have children of my own!
ReplyDeleteSaraVignola0421@gmail.com
I don't remember how I found your blog, but I would love to keep reading it and seeing pictures of your super cute little girls! relyksmi@yahoo.com.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog! krayzid0rk@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteHey Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI've been reading your blog for a few years now. (I think it's been that long at least.) I'd love to keep up with your story. kylie.braithwaite@gmail.com
I'd love to stay in touch :) jessie.lynn.george@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteplay date soon??? we should go meet (if you haven't already) jess' little baby!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWe met at Utah State once but I'm sure you don't remember. But I've enjoyed reading about your little girls.
ReplyDeletebrookelyn06@gmail.com
You know you gotta keep me in the loop! ceciliadrobbins@gmail.com :)
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog and seeing pictures of your cute girls. My email is briannliz@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteLiz
I'd love to keep reading and this way I don't have to worry about printing out your cloth diaper posts for when I have my own kids! fromeasttowestblog@gmail.com.
ReplyDeleteI am the Family Stalker...I am Josh's cousin Brian P. wife. I love reading and will continue as Private. You are honest and funny and it makes me smile. Please add me. kingpeterbdugo@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteLori
I was a member of the September 2010 birth club with you and would love to continue following, as our girls are the same age :) DanielleH1985@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog recently as I just found out I am pregnant with twins recently and went in search of moms with twins' blogs. I have loved reading about your pregnancy and birth story, and I am slowly getting through what happens after that. It's like reading a great novel that is really pertinent in many ways to my own life. I would love to continue reading. brendatipp@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI have 10 month old twins and I love reading your blog to see what I have to look forward to! :)
ReplyDeleteKelly
www.twicethefunindc.blogspot.com
kelly.ventura@gmail.com
Your blog is one of my absolute favorites. Please add me amandalynnu@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog, even though you don't know me. Please add me sbfassmannATgmailDOTcom
ReplyDeleteSfortune at gmail
ReplyDeletesteviealisan AT gmail DoT com
ReplyDeleteYou and I went to the same high school, i dont think we ever talked. I found you from a friends blog and LOVE reading about your beautiful girls. I have a 5 yr old and a 9 week old, the 9 week old is in cloth diapers thanks you!! I LOVE THEM!! I would love to continue to follow you, if you'll let me.
ReplyDeleteThanks
ashten01@gmail.com
whitsariah@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI won't know what is going on in your life if I can't read your blog. gasp!
malloryfrench4@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteI just really like you, and I think that should be reason enough. :) You're the first private blog that I've ever requested to follow... that's how much I enjoy reading your stuff. emilynicole27@gmail.com Good luck with the switch!
ReplyDeleteI'd like to keep reading! jadjenny at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteWe don't know each other, but I love your blog! You inspired me to start cloth diapering. sothisismorning@gmail.com
ReplyDeletemeganmartin5@yahoo.com
ReplyDelete:)
I also love your blog! I haven't been reading long, but would love to continue if you go private. brittany_ricks at hotmail dot com
ReplyDeleteI've been reading for about a year and a half! Please add me! ak.streeper@gmail.com
ReplyDelete