Fair warning: this post is long and kind of boring, but there's a semi-cute video at the end. :)
Yooooooooou guys. It's been a while since I feel like I've really blogged. Really talked about something going on without just posting a bunch of pictures and calling it good. Today's post is going to have a lot of writing it in. What am I writing about? Cribs and the fact that we don't have them in our house anymore.
About two(ish) weeks ago, I went to get the girls from their nap, only to discover that Sophie was out of her pack 'n play. I had been testing out them being in the same room, but since the cribs were in different rooms, I used the pack 'n play as a temporary solution to see if they could handle being in the same room or not. When I saw Sophie out of the pack 'n play I muttered a 4 letter word that started with "s"... I knew we were in for it. I knew that the time of getting toddler/twin beds was right around the corner and I knew how hard of a transition it was for some kids. I also knew how I wasn't blessed with the world's greatest sleepers (didn't sleep through the night until 9 months and even now only do it 80% of the time)so I knew it was going to be a hard transition.
I decided to put Sophie back in her bed, crack the door open and see if she would do it again. Sure enough, she hoisted one leg over the edge, pulled her body up to high center the side and flopped to the floor. She was sooo proud of herself and ran around the room giggling. So, that night I put Lillian in the pack 'n play and Sophie in the crib and prayed that they would stay put. Luckily, they did. I was really, really hoping this whole thing was just a fluke and we had a few more months of cribs.
The next day during nap time, we did the same thing. Sophie in the crib and Lillian in the pack 'n play. Josh ended up getting them up this time and he called me upstairs. What did he find? Both girls out of their beds and playing with their toy kitchen. So they both could get out of their beds now. Josh was pretty freaked out by the whole thing because kids can get really hurt by climbing out of cribs. He wanted to take the cribs down that afternoon, but I wouldn't let him. He was working a graveyard shift that night and we had church the next day and I really didn't want to do that on my own, the night before we had somewhere to be. So I stuck them in their beds and let them be.
Luckily, we were somehow able to buy and extra few days of them being in their cribs. We split them up so they wouldn't egg each other on and they stayed put until the 4th of July. Lillian climbed out of her crib and fell. She got a pretty good rug burn on her shoulder and that was the final straw for Josh, so down came the cribs.
The next couple of days were awful. Every time we'd lay the girls on their mattresses, they'd immediately get up and run around. I stripped the room from everything but their mattresses, blankets and two stuffed animals. They would run around, scream, dance, flip their mattresses over and take hours to fall asleep. Literally, hours. They went from sleeping about 12 hours each day (including naps) to about 8. It sucked.
Josh made the comment that every time we put them down, it was like they were having a slumber party. It hit me that this is why a lot of parents oppose sleepovers. Kids don't sleep and they're grumpy when they don't sleep. I was losing it, Josh was losing it and the girls had definitely lost it. We thought about splitting them up, but the task seemed so daunting since the other room was now filled with toys, old clothes and a box of my crap that had been sitting there since the day we moved it.
With the help of my neighbor (who really is much, much more than a "just" neighbor at this point. She's pretty much my hero) we got the clothes organized and I sorted through the toys. The room was almost fully cleared out. But yesterday at nap time, I completely lost it. Like I was balled up in the hall crying while said neighbor/best friend took care of my girls. She was eventually able to get the girls to sleep, all while I laid on the floor and cried. One of my finer parenting moments I should say....
So, last night I took everything else out of that second bedroom and split the girls up. I apparently should have done that days and day before, but for whatever reason, I didn't want to. I guess I just have this dream that they'll be able to share a room and sleep through the night. Sadly, that hasn't really happened more than a handful of times in their entire life. The girls fell right to sleep (with the exception of Lillian, but I went in and used some of Jenny's lines and didn't hear a peep from her again) and they slept until morning (well again, with the exception of Lillian who woke up at 4, but I was able to turn on her frog night light/music player and that worked like a charm).
So now, I have a laundry room filled with toys and a box of junk, but two well rested girls. I feel slightly defeated though because I really wanted them to be able to share a room. Maybe someday, but not today and not in the foreseeable future. So now, we need to decide on which beds to get them and face reality and buy them. Until then, we've found a pretty good solution, I hope.
The cribs coming down...
The girls standing and reading on the pile of wood that used to be their crib
This was this past Sunday after two hours of running around. They finally fell asleep.
And in case you ever wanted to know what spending 3 minutes and 49 seconds with my girls is like, here's a pretty good representation. This is what would go on for at least a hour and a half every night before they'd fall asleep. It's cute, but the repercussion of it the next morning definitely was NOT cute...
See? They're crazy.
Here's to a better sleeping situation!



So happy for you that last night went better :)
ReplyDeleteYikes! Good luck :/ We have found some pretty good beds at ikea. And from what I have heard its better to skip the toddler bed and go straight for a twin since they grow out of it fast. But what do I know - we are in the same stage as you!
ReplyDeleteWe've never used a crib at our house. We went from a hammock, to a co-sleeper, to our bed, and then straight to a full-size floor bed (a mattress on the floor). My girl is 10 months old and we're all adjusting to the freedom she has in a floor bed- being able to crawl around and play whenever she feels like it. When she's tired, she starts restricting her play to the bed and then when she's ready to sleep she hits up the boob and is out (I still nurse her to sleep). It takes a lot of patience and work, but I think it will work out for us in the long run. I say skip the traditional bed and stick with the mattresses. They'll adjust eventually. And with regards to having them sleep in the same room, I have a twin sister, and as soon as I could, I booted her out of our room. Siblings, twins or otherwise, need their own space too. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHa! I love the video at the end. My girls don't talk yet, but the video did remind me a bunch of my girls. We are starting this transition as well. We are skipping the toddler beds and getting twin beds. I hate to have one more thing to store. I worried about the twin bed frames and having it be too high for them if they fell. We ended up not getting a frame yet and for the base board we got whats called a bunkie board to support the mattress. It is only 2-3 inches high.
ReplyDeleteOh boy! This was good to read. We are inching closer to this whole bed mess and I am terrified! I too had hopes of my two little ones sharing a room, but oscar is such a loud sleeper and often times needs a little cry out session in the night, that I don't feel like it would be worth it to wake up lola (who loves her sleep!). but neither of mine have attempted to get out of their cribs yet,.so I think I will wait a little longer. I love to hear what works/doesn't work for others! your girls are adorable and getting so big!
ReplyDeleteJust think, you can put them to bed at 7 and they'll be asleep by 9. Just Kidding. My girls have been in regular beds for a few months now. I had to watch them or they jumped on them. But any time I put my 3 1/2 year old in there too, they go crazy and do not go to sleep. I get stressed out just listening to them NOT sleep. I also had to take out every toy and put it in our other room. But I think you are going a great job. I bet they love that freedom. It'll be a sad day when they learn to open the door.
ReplyDeleteLoved the video! Sophie is really a talker, huh? That was cute. I'm impressed that they both laid down and put their own blankets on! My boys would never do that. They would be up bouncing& jumping around until the very last second when they crashed. It's not easy when kids outgrow their cribs. So not looking forward to it with my youngest. ugh. Good luck!
ReplyDelete