Ok, so I've debated on how to write this post because I don't want the people who have said these things to feel bad (although most of them have come from random people who don't read this blog). However, know that if you've said them, I don't hate you and it's all in good fun, but I'm just surprised at some of the reactions I've received. A lot of these aren't just for a twin pregnancy, but I'll star specific ones I've gotten because of the twins. And also, I'm going to paraphrase responses I've received to maybe mask the comments a tiny bit.
- You look really cute now, but in a few months you wont be able to walk, or even wear maternity clothes, so enjoy wearing regular clothes now. (actually if you know me, you know my love for sweatpants. I change out of regular clothes as soon as I get home so I guess I should consider myself lucky there)
- Twins! You're going to get stretch marks like you wouldn't believe!* (that one made me cry..)
- Two? You're never going to sleep again. SO much crying, poop, and spit up. I don't know how you'll do it. I'd loose my mind.* (Oh thank you for the heads up. I'll call the insane asylum and make an early reservation.)
-"How far along are you?" "{insert # of weeks at that given time}, but there's two" "Oh honey, you're going to get so big."* (Thanks, I hope you don't die at the age of 30 from a flesh eating disease, but you never know, it might happen.)
-Don't you just love it when you get out of that stage where you don't look fat anymore? (Well, I'm assuming the last time you saw me you just thought I was just fat....)
-My worst nightmare is having twins.* (Oh thank you. Mine is being brutally murdered, but mother two kids sounds awful too...what???)
-Was it planned? ( I know everyone gets this question and I've asked it too, but when you're the pregnant person you realize how weird any answer you give is. Not so much offensive, just awkward especially when it's asked by someone you don't really know, but actually having someone ask you who you do know really well is weird too. Weird question all around.)
-Twins?! God bless you, you're going to need it.* (Well, I consider this pregnancy a blessing so I guess he already has. I hope he blesses you with some tact someday.)
-I don't know how you're going to do it. You aren't even done with school? Hopefully you can graduate, but I wouldn't count on it. (this isn't exactly how it went, but basically I was told fat chance for ever going to school again. Uh, thanks for having faith in me.)
-I can't even imagine how much this is going to cost you guys. (Yeah, we'll we're starting too and we're terrified. Thanks for the reassurance.)
-Wow, you're only that far along? Good luck...(Ok random girl at the quick stop. Good luck ever getting a boyfriend because your voice makes Fran Drecher sound like a lullaby.) (Ok, that was mean on my part I realize, but I blame it on the pregnancy hormones. haha)
-Are you going to be able to breastfeed both babies?* (ok, I hardly know you. I don't feel the need to discuss my potential lactation abilities with you.)
-I hope you can get some quality time together because once these babies come it'll feel like you're hardly married.* (Ok, so I know the dynamics of a relationship changes with kids, but hardly married? I know of many couples with twins that don't seem "hardly married". I'm pretty sure Josh and I have a strong enough relationship to not let these children turn us into just roommates. Again, I'm not naive about the lack of "us" time we'll have, but hardly married? Come on...)
-I hope you have lots of family around because you're going to need it BIG time! I would have died without my mother and I only had one baby* (actually, we don't and most of our friends are moving away from Logan after the summer, so thanks for letting us know how awful our situation is.)
-Don't twins come always early? Are they going to have to be in the NICU? Are you terrified? Does the thought of a c-section freak you out? You'll be on bed rest, right?* (Now, this isn't offensive, but I get asked these questions ALL the time. Yes people, there's a chance of all of this happening and nobody knows how a twin pregnancy will end so I've got no answers for you. That's what I'm scared of most. I have no idea how this will end. Hopefully with two healthy babies, but people are really quick to tell me their horror stories of what they know about twin births and since every twin birth ends totally different, there's no way to know what's going to happen this summer.)
and possibly my favorite...
-So, how did you conceive your babies?* (Um....do we really need to go there? You've got kids. How did you conceive yours? If you're still confused, go talk to someone about it, please.)
So there you have it. Things not to say to a pregnant woman (particularly someone with twins). I don't mean to sound like Negative Nancy and I realize how much support we actually do have. The supportive comments have completely outnumbered the weird ones, so I've very VERY grateful for that, but I'm always a bit taken back by some of the comments. I've been able to laugh them all off (except the stretch mark one) and it's pretty entertaining to see people's reactions. I'm slightly sad though because I've lost a lot of my identity and have become this pregnancy. I guess that's what happens to all moms at some point so I should get used to it, but since I exploded at 11 weeks, I didn't really get the chance to wrap my mind around any of it before the questions/comments started pouring in. Oh well, we'll make it and no matter how scared or how poor we are, we couldn't be happier. Josh and I are getting more and more excited each day and we can't wait for these little ones to arrive.
So, any moms or pregnant women out there that would like to add to the list? :)
My favorite (or least favorite depending on how you look at things) was after I'd had my baby and an older couple each individually asked me if my milk had come in. Seriously? Even if it hadn't I would have lied. So awkward.
ReplyDeleteAnd I always loved the "did you plan it" question. I always wanted to say some inappropriate back, but never had the guts.
PS - I think your pregnancy posts are my favorite ever.
I always wonder how in the world people justify to themselves that these questions are appropriate--especially to someone they don't know well at all. Has anyone tried to touch your belly yet? That always freaked me out. Um, you don't touch my belly on a regular day, why is this any different?
ReplyDeleteSo, I've started a blog myself, thanks to your and other funny moms' influences. We'll see how it goes...I have a post sort of like this about having a big family. If you feel so inclined, it is:
http://yepallmine.blogspot.com
wow! that is a pretty good list...
ReplyDelete#1 as soon as i get home i slip on pj bottom and a huge grey shirt (i have like 10 of them) and i take my bra off....
#2 when i was pregnant with baby #2 and went to my first appointment, the dr was about to measure my belly, so i pull up my shirt and he gasped "wow, i have never seen so many stretch marks in my life (he is only in his 60s and has probably seen a million bare stomachs) so i asked: is there anything i can do about it? his reply "no"
needless to say, i never went back to him. got myself a nicer dr.
brit, you are awesome!
you will be a great mom. i wish i lived close to come help you hold babies.
my sister in law has twins.
she already had 3 kids before the twins too. they are now almost 18 months.
they are the cutest little guys!
her best advice : make time for yourself, you will be a better mom.
sometimes its best to listen to advice if its given but then you decide what to do with your life and your little ones too.
Oh this post made me laugh! I feel your pain even though I don't have twins, the things people would say to me when I was pregnant just drove me nuts! With my 2nd I didn't even tell anyone I was pregnant until I was like 5 months just to avoid the comments for as long as possible. The worst was when I was between 8-9 months every day someone would say "Haven't you had that baby yet?" Um NO! Obviously not!!
ReplyDeleteUgh, People...
When random people ask you how far along you are...say you are further along than you are. You'll get great comments like Oh you are so small! You look so great!! Ive wanted to try this. Might make me feel better than I feel. Good luck!! I am sorry! Some people are so weird about pregnancy. I am excited for you! You will be a great mom! and think one pregnancy...two babies!
ReplyDeleteYou are a great writer, Mangelson. Louise Durham would be proud. I think you missed your Heard in the Halls potential.
ReplyDeleteHahaha... this was even better than I expected! Maybe because you get twice the ridiculous comments with twins. I never had anyone ask me if our baby was planned, but I had a few ask how long we "tried" before we got pregnant. Maybe I'm sensitive, but I still think that one is awkward.
ReplyDeleteI think the worst comments come at the end when all anyone can say is, "you're HUGE!" (never EVER say that to a pregnant woman) and "your baby STILL isn't here?" I've never had two little phrases make me more grouchy. :)
P.S. I can't be sure, but there's a very good possibility my hubby was the one who made the "twins are my worst nightmare" comment. Because he says that to EVERYONE. So I think as punishment, you need to let us babysit your kids after we both have these babies and he can see what it's like to have TRIPLETS. And a 2-year old. ;)
ReplyDeleteSo I'm not pregnant or haven't been pregnant so I can't 100% sympathize, but I would have smacked a few people. Lol. Does privacy not mean something anymore?
ReplyDeleteI am particularly interested as to what you said to the strange conceiving comments. I am also curious as to what she would have said about her own if she thought yours was going to be just as interesting....
ReplyDeleteI was directed to your blog by my sister, Kelly Brown, because she thinks you're witty and clever and enjoys your writing style. I usually don't make comments if I don't know the person, but this post made me laugh out loud (I love all of your sarcastic comments back. I do the same thing!) and brought back fond memories. I just had twin girls in November and I think I got all of these same comments. What is it with people and pregnancies?
ReplyDeleteI think you're right that every twin pregnancy (and beyond) is individual and different. But if it helps, I've found the last four months of having twins to be WONDERFUL! Everyone told us the first year was the worst and we'd go crazy, but we haven't found that to be true at all. It's absolutely manageable and I still find that I have plenty of time for myself (more than I did when I was working full time). The trick for us has been to keep them on the same schedule of eating (I breastfeed both at the same time--way easier then trying to balance two bottles, I think) and sleeping (we've chosen the Babywise books and it's worked so well-- they were sleeping through the night by eight weeks!).
You probably know others who have twins, but if you have any questions or need some reassurance I'd be happy to answer anything. My email is hock.steph(at)gmail.com.
Good luck! It's so much fun!!
The worst comment I think I ever heard was - Really? You do know what causes that don't you?! If I were you I'd stop!
ReplyDeleteI am a random here...I am Michelle's sister... hi there!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your post! ha ha! It brought back so many memories!
My favorite was when someone asked me, "Are you sure there aren't two (babies) in there?"
ummmm...yep. pretty sure. the doctor said just one. thanks.
Good Luck! You already have a great sense of humor so whether you have 1,2, or 9 babies.... you are already a step ahead of most.
:)
People have no tact! Seriously! You make me laugh, I just love you! I think you're the most adorable person I know! The comment on "Good luck ever finding a boyfriend because your voice makes Fran Drescher's sound like a dream" made me LAUGH AND LAUGH! Don't worry about stretch marks! Use cocoa butter every day on your stomach. It may not save you from having any but it will help a lot! How did you conceive? Wow, really? Hmmmmmm. Ha, ha, ha!
ReplyDeleteYou'll be the best mommy ever and it's true that Heavenly Father has a plan for you and your babies! Love ya!!! Move closer!!! We'll help out ALL of the time! Seriously!
ReplyDeleteI got some seriously mean remarks when I was pregnant. I get HUGE! I had a relative ask me at 7 months if I was due any day, "Um, no about two months left thanks." "Oh, are you having twins?" I also had someone say to me AFTER I'd had the baby "You haven't had that baby yet?" "uh, yeah, last week actually."
ReplyDeleteI think that people forget what it's like to be pregnant and/or have a wife who's pregnant and all the hurtful things people say.
HAHA I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!
ReplyDelete