3.07.2010

Making My Own Belt

So after watching The Assassination of Jesse
James by the Coward Robert Ford
I was intrigued by - although by no
means new - their manner of dress.

I took a liking to style of the gun belts or the
classic western holster belts that they wore,
yet upon searching the internet I found that
they were near obsolete to buy or they were
relatively expensive.

So I decided that by buying my own center
bar belt buckle made for holsters, the
leather strip, dye, punches, brown waxed thread,
and exacto knife I could make my own belt for
much cheaper, and I had fun doing so in the
meantime.


First to get the leather in a thick enough weight
I found a strip that was 9/10 oz although 8/9 oz
will work as well.

The leather came in a 2.5 inch thickness,
so I cut it down to fit the belt buckle
that accepts 1.75 inch thick straps.

note: 1.75 inches thick is wider than any common belt
made for males. Belts can be bought that are really wide
for women just not men.

I then cut it to length by using the exacto knife.

Using the hole punch I punched holes .75
inches apart to accept the belt buckle
with the middle hole measuring the comfort
of where I usually were my belt.

I then punched other smaller holes
on the opposite end to be able to sow
on the leather strip to the belt buckle
using the wax thread.

I then used a dark mahagony dye that
I watered down and then applied it using
a sponge brush.

I then rubbed the leather after it dried
with a rag to give the dye a shiny luster.

I then finished the condition of the leather
by applying mink oil using a rag and then
buffing by using a shoe shine brush.






And there ya have it...my new belt!!











5 comments:

  1. You, my sister, amaze me. Who makes their own leather belt? And who would have thought it would have turned uot so great!! I may have to have you help me make one. My dear, you are talented! By the way, have you seen Alice yet? It has a few parts in it that I believe only you and I could appreciate (and anyone else who took BYU Creative dance). Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Brooke, for the confusion. I posted this. Haha. That's what I get for never posting. I can make you a belt if you like. I have leftover stuff. You'd just have to order the buckle and leather. I also posted the Bacon Press one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, I'm not gonna lie, this is pretty awesome. I'm pretty sure that John Wayne would be proud. How long would you say it took to do the whole thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks. About an hour. Not too long. I was watching t.v. while I did it.

    ReplyDelete