I've done a decent amount of research and you might think I'm crazy, but I think I'm going to try it. Anyone out there cloth diaper? Know people who do? I don't think I'd go 100% cloth for a while, but even if I did 50% it would be like only buying diapers for one instead of two. There's a whole cloth diapering community out there that I had no idea existed. Everyone is very positive about it and hey, humans have been doing it for thousands of years, so it's not that crazy of an idea, right? I read that you can easily save $1,000-$2,000 by cloth diapering/cloth wiping. That's one baby. Granted, you've got to take into account the time to wash them etc, but like I said, this isn't anything new. My grandparent's used cloth diapers, why can I? Plus, you can reuse cloth diapers for multiple kids. Disposables? They're gone in a couple of hours. Forever.
It's something to think about. People will think I'm a hippie weirdo, but I really think I'm going to do it. I found this blog and series of posts last night that reassured me. Then there's this list and these FAQ's that also brought up some good points. Plus, you can buy flushable inserts that make the job even easier.
The only negative thing I can see about it (and this is a pretty big negative) is the washing. However, people swear that it's not that bad and if it's going to save thousands of dollars and have lots of other benefits for the babies...why not? I've mentioned this before, but I'm no stranger to diapers. I change adult and teen size diapers all the time. I know you can't really compare those, but I really know what it's like to change a diaper. Would a cloth diaper be anymore of a big deal than an adults? Probably not.
Has anyone tried it and hated it? I know a lot of people find it repulsing from the get-go, but I'm wondering if anyone has given it a shot and has not liked it. (or knows of someone who hasn't liked it) I've tried to find cases like that on the internet and they are few and far between. I'm really, really leaning towards it. Saves mucho money (I know upfront it's more money, but if you you can use them for all your babies and save over a $1,000 for each kid, that adds up quick), natural for babies, less chance of diaper rash, a lot less environmental impact, plus they're cute...
Thoughts? Oh, and if any of you lovely people ever babysit my children, know that we'll put them in disposable diapers. Don't worry, my sister already said she wouldn't babysit if she had to deal with a poopy cloth diaper. :)
Funny you should write about this, because I was just talking about it with a friend the other day. I say go for it. Who cares if anyone thinks you are a hippie weirdo, you are going to be $4000 richer than them.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree on the babysitting deal.
I still can't believe you are having twins. Wow. So crazy.
I don't think you are a hippie wierdo - if it doesn't gross you out, then go for it! Spend the money elsewhere. And I agree - changing adult diapers is a lot worse than a baby cloth diaper. Smart girl.
ReplyDeleteim a strong believer in cloth diapers believe it or not. i have never changed one, and i definitely dont see any children of my own in the near future, so my opinion may not matter, but i think its brilliant... im all for saving the environment one poopy diaper at a time (or 2 pooopy diapers in your case) and the saving of the money of course. :) i say go for it! and then i can take your advice whenever that time comes for me :)
ReplyDeleteI actually don't think you're crazy. i'm not expecting or anything, but I really want kids sometime soon and money is the hardest thing about that, because we don't have much. I looked at he price of diapers the other day and...WOW. I really have honestly and whole-heartidly considered this. I think what I'd do is cloth most of the time and then if someone is babysitting or we're out for a long outing or something I'd bring disposables. I have a friend who does it, I can ask her for more info if you'd like. She really likes it.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think that if it doesn't gross you out, you should go for it. Buuuuut, my cousin that had twins said that so many people gave them diapers (because they felt bad for them) that they didn't even have to BUY diapers until the twins were 9 months. Just a thought...
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing for even thinking about it. I'll give my 2 cents. My mom always tried to talk me into it and would tell me it really wasn't that bad since that's what she did with us. She said you get use to it. Having my own kid I know dealing with my own child's poop or pee is much easier then someone else. So when I think of doing it with Bailey it doesn't bother me. Doing it to someone else kids honestly makes me say ewww, so good call on the disposable diaper thing for the babysitter.
ReplyDeleteThe only thing is the really poopy diapers can be really gross, even if they are your own kid and really smelly. New born poop doesn't smell but the second they start they start eating solids it gets real bad real fast. So I think the smell of it would kill me more. Also the laundry thing. I can't believe how much one child adds to my laundry, 2 children will be that much more and then adding cloth diapers, that's a lot of laundry. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just thinking out loud. But if you can change teenagers and adult diapers I think you can do anything, because I couldn't do that.
Done and Done.
OH and p.s. I've noticed when Bailey was little we went through a lot more diapers then we do now. The older they get the less you have to change them, so it might be more work at the beginning but not so bad once they are older. bailey only wears about 3 diapers in 24 hours, unless she poops right after we change her. so it may not be that bad after all. It's fantastic to save money. more power to you.
ReplyDeleteyou are freaking awesome! seriously for even thinking about it. my newborns went through 12-15 dirty diapers a day, and they were all poopy. and newborn poop does not wash off easily (crazy mustard color)
ReplyDeletei am actually thinking about this for my next baby the only thing i worry about is stains... i wonder if its saves more money than having to do so many washes and bleaching per day. but im still thinking, i think i might buy one or two and give it a try.
Britt... you're not crazy!!! I am planning on having a mid wife when I have kids and will TOTALLY cloth diaper my children. I am close with a family up here is who 100% organic and they cloth diaper their kids. It is not gross, it comes out, and I say go for it!!!! NOT TO MENTION.... Disposable diapers NEVER, let me repeat NEVER disintigrate. Our land fills... FULL of peoples diapers... yes, even yours and mine are still in the landfill. I have been big on recycling since I moved to Canada and am all about mother earth.
ReplyDeletealso.... blow outs are VERY rare in cloth diapers :)
ReplyDeleteI have every intent to go with cloth diapers. Its really funny, because I had assumed a few years ago that they were still the dishtowel with clothespins, but boy was I wrong. My biggest concern (major hippie alert) is the effects on the environment, but the money thing is a huge incentive. You'll have to let everyone know how it turns out, if you can handle it with 2 then i definitely think 1 will be a breeze.
ReplyDeleteOne, hippies rock. Two, I love cloth diapers. If you ever need advice, I'm your girl.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I've been really surprised with how willing my friends and family are to change them when they babysit after they get briefed on the process. It's really not that gross!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog too!! We are using gDiapers a hybrid diaper when Baby girl arrives. I found a lot of great info on Cloth Diaper groups & gdiaper groups on Baby Center. I made my inserts following this tutorial http://bordersbohobaby.blogspot.com/2009/07/make-gdiaper-microfiber-insert-sewing.html
ReplyDeleteI have bought all my gdiapers used & love that I dont need like 100 cloth diapers! I just need a bunch of liners!!! Good luck! Cannot wait to read what you decide!!