5.14.2012

You remind me of the babe

I hope you're all singing this song after reading the title of this post. If not, shame on you. Oh and p.s. our comma key magically started working again! Anyway...

People are always asking me which twin cries more, which twin is happier, which twin is blah, blah, blah... In fact, sometimes I'll get, "but I thought Lillian was the shy one?" or "Wasn't it Sophie that really likes puppies?" Well, sometimes Sophie is shy and sometimes Lillian likes puppies. Yes, they are twins and it's easy to compare them, but they're also human beings. Individual human beings who are capable of straying from their stereotyped traits. Anyway (for the second time)....

Lately, Lillian has been acting like Sophie did when she was a baby. When they were infants, Lillian was really, really easy. Like so easy that at times I wondered why everything told me twins were their worst nightmare or that I'd need all this live in help, or that I would never want anymore children. It really was almost like having one baby. Yes, at times it got crazy, but for the most part, Lillian ate, pooped, smiled a little and then went to sleep again. Easy. Sophie on the other hand was trickier. She required to be held a certain way, she needed her bottle warmed just right, she woke up more, she cried more, she had this creepy scowl she's shoot your way if she didn't approve of what you were doing. Overall, she was just harder. But oh how the tables have turned.

Every single day last week we dealt with a tantrum of Lillian proportions. Maybe it's just normal toddler behavior, but that would make Sophie's tantrums very abnormal. Take last Tuesday for instance. I was feeding the girls the last part of breakfast (apple sauce) when I ran out. No big deal because I bought an entire case of it a few months back. As soon as I stood up to refill the bowl, Lillian lost it. She instantly lost it. Slamming her hands and head on her high chair tray, grabbing her hair, tears streaming down her face, etc. It was quite entertaining for Sophie and I, but more so just frustrating. It wasn't like she was starving. She had just eaten two full eggs. She was just throwing a tantrum. I got her out because she was in no state of mind to continue eating and I let her hash it out on the ground. I know you're supposed to ignore temper tantrums if you can and not draw extra attention to them, but I have a hard time knowing when it's actually time to step in and discipline. I tried to distract her, but she would have it. She was throwing toys, hitting me, and slamming herself on the ground. I've done "time outs" in our pack 'n play, but it was upstairs so I just took her to her crib and let her scream. Absolutely ridiculous. 

And this has been happening daily for a little over a week. Luckily, Josh has been home, so I'm not alone in these horrible moments, but I've cracked a few times. Like the other day when I ran up to my room and left the three of them in the living room to figure it out. I don't know if she's cutting a molar, not getting enough sleep (well I definitely know that's playing a huge roll because she hasn't slept through the night more than once or twice in the last two weeks) or what, but I need to figure it out. A friend suggested that I look into the food dye red #40 because it's been linked to behavioral issues. Turns out red #40 is in virtually everything so I think we're going to try to keep an eye out for it. Lillian is more sensitive out of the pair (skin and digestive system wise at least) so I'm thinking it can't hurt to cut that out of her/their diet. 

I don't know guys, I've seen some pretty good fits in my day, but Lillian is to the point that I'm almost scared. She bites herself, pull her hair, slaps anyone around her, and goes ballistic over the littlest things. Her sippy cup is out of milk? She has a meltdown. She can't get the puzzle piece in it's place? She has a meltdown. Her sister get the last bite of something? She has a meltdown. She gets told "no" she has a meltdown. 

I really should try to get one of these fits on camera because I'm sure you're all thinking, "Well my two year old sounds just like her. It's normal. You have a toddler..." but seriously, I've worked with kids and have worked with people with disabilities. I've definitely seen my fair share of meltdowns (some to the point where by-standards have wanted to call 911)  and I'm continually shocked by her. 

Here's a glimpse at the apple sauce meltdown, right before I took her out. Don't mind the crooked picture or the babies with their shirts half off. They did it themselves and thought they were hilarious (which they were).

 I guess it's time to re-listen to and really take notes on that Love And Logic toddler addition CD my neighbor let me borrow. Lillian is kicking my trash, people. My sweet, calm, innocent Lillian has turned into the infant Sophie, only much, much scarier.

Heaven help us. It's just a phase, right?

Oh and did I mention that she isn't sleeping? Every day for the past week she's gotten up at least twice. Last night, she refused to even sleep in our bed and I had to take her downstairs and caress her face while she fell asleep to Elmo. That and Josh trying to get his body used to graves week has made us all a little zombie like. And as entertaining as The Walking Dead is, it's NOT fun to live it... 

11 comments:

  1. even with my twins being 5 years old, I still constantly have to remind myself and try to believe that pretty much EVERYTHING is a stage. The tantrums have always been one of the hardest things for me--it can be scary to see your little angel be so out of control and angry. I have tried and tried to put myself in their shoes, to imagine how to feels to be overwhelmed by emotions that I don't know how to express or work through. Sometimes it helps me, sometimes it doesn't. Everyone is so unique, you'll have to find your own way through it (doesn't that sound helpful?!), but for my girl, I have discovered that when I don't address the tantrum (other than putting her in her room so the rest of us aren't affected by it), and instead try to increase the amount of positive attention I give her throughout the day, it truly does make a difference over time. I'll try to make sure she gets lots of hugs, kisses, praise, chances to be just with me, read books, etc--though it's often hard because I'm so frustrated at her tantrums. But it really does seem to reduce the frequency of the tantrums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine switch things up on me constantly. One of mine just had a tantrum. And I totally sand that song!! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's that age! Millie throws fits and tantrums. That's why it's called the terrible twos. It's no fun though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not a mom, but i have nannied (all day everyday) a little boy for the last five years. when he was 2 and would throw tantrums i would just say..."if you're gonna scream i'll leave and you come get me when you're all done and happy!" and then..5, 10, or sometimes even 30 minutes later...he'd come and tell me he's ready to play. BUT you've heard all this and more, you have twin 2 year olds..and you're not dumb. so i'll stop there and just say that those elmo jams are DARLING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tantrums are not fun... We have a little of that now and much more to look forward to as our four are eighteen months old now. I started Multiples Monday on my blog, Capri + 3, a week ago. There are still a couple of hours left today to link to one of your posts. If not, I'd love to have you stop by any and every Monday to add a link to a recent or beloved post.

    : 0 ) Theresa
    http://www.multiples-mom.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so frustrating, I'm sorry. My girls have started throwing major tantrums too and it's crazy.

    I totally identify to the beginning of your post and how annoyed I always get when people want to paint each of my twins as "the ______ one". They're each people! Of course they're going to have happy days and sad days and friendly days and shy days and the personality seems to change as they go through different phases. I get so defensive about letting them just be the individuals they are, instead of always trying to compare them.

    Good luck with the tantrums! If you figure anything out, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My niece is on a seizure med that makes her have tantrums. The neurologist told my sister to give her vitamin B6. It helps with behavior issues. You can look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My niece is on a seizure med that makes her have tantrums. The neurologist told my sister to give her vitamin B6. It helps with behavior issues. You can look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My niece is on a seizure med that makes her have tantrums. The neurologist told my sister to give her vitamin B6. It helps with behavior issues. You can look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My niece is on a seizure med that makes her have tantrums. The neurologist told my sister to give her vitamin B6. It helps with behavior issues. You can look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My niece is on a seizure med that makes her have tantrums. The neurologist told my sister to give her vitamin B6. It helps with behavior issues. You can look into it.

    ReplyDelete